Remote Assistance?

Julian

Remote Assistance?
I am trying to support my sister in the UK (on Vista - probably Basic or HP)
from here in Hungary (on Vista HP); I've received an invite and the correct
password but we can't connect.

At my end the internet connection is via a Freecom FSG3 Linux based "storage
gateway" with built in firewall - I have enabled TCP/UDP 2869 and everything
else I could fined under Remote Assistance in the Windows Firewall with
Advanced Security (Port forwarding to the address reserved for this machine
on the LAN), and Remote Assistance is allowed through the Windows
firewall...

At my sister's end she has a BT HomeHub (FOA9?) wirelessly connected to her
PC... and at the time had Remote Assistance waiting for an incoming
connection that never arrived...

[Have no idea whether her box is UPnP, but I don't think mine is]

Suggestions?

TIA

--
Julian I-Do-Stuff

Some Vista stuff, but mostly just Stuff at http://berossus,blogspot.com

Malke

Re: Remote Assistance?
Julian wrote:
> I am trying to support my sister in the UK (on Vista - probably Basic or
> HP) from here in Hungary (on Vista HP); I've received an invite and the
> correct password but we can't connect.
>
> At my end the internet connection is via a Freecom FSG3 Linux based
> "storage gateway" with built in firewall - I have enabled TCP/UDP 2869
> and everything else I could fined under Remote Assistance in the Windows
> Firewall with Advanced Security (Port forwarding to the address reserved
> for this machine on the LAN), and Remote Assistance is allowed through
> the Windows firewall...
>
> At my sister's end she has a BT HomeHub (FOA9?) wirelessly connected to
> her PC... and at the time had Remote Assistance waiting for an incoming
> connection that never arrived...
>
> [Have no idea whether her box is UPnP, but I don't think mine is]
>
> Suggestions?

Use something like Team Viewer instead. It is free for personal use and
extremely easy to set up. It gets rid of the need to open ports, assign
static IPs, etc. I use it to help my brother who lives across the
country on the East Coast. www.teamviewer.com

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
Julian

Re: Remote Assistance?
Thanks Malke -

Either it wasn't free or I missed it last time I looked for "remote desktop"
type stuff (I'm using UltraVNC to watch an XP Home system at present - I'd
switch that immediately except why go out to a TeamView server and in again
for access on the same LAN! Unless it's smarter than that!)

V. useful info - thanks

--

> Julian wrote:
>> I am trying to support my sister in the UK (on Vista - probably Basic or
>> HP) from here in Hungary (on Vista HP); I've received an invite and the
>> correct password but we can't connect.
>>
>> At my end the internet connection is via a Freecom FSG3 Linux based
>> "storage gateway" with built in firewall - I have enabled TCP/UDP 2869
>> and everything else I could fined under Remote Assistance in the Windows
>> Firewall with Advanced Security (Port forwarding to the address reserved
>> for this machine on the LAN), and Remote Assistance is allowed through
>> the Windows firewall...
>>
>> At my sister's end she has a BT HomeHub (FOA9?) wirelessly connected to
>> her PC... and at the time had Remote Assistance waiting for an incoming
>> connection that never arrived...
>>
>> [Have no idea whether her box is UPnP, but I don't think mine is]
>>
>> Suggestions?

> Use something like Team Viewer instead. It is free for personal use and
> extremely easy to set up. It gets rid of the need to open ports, assign
> static IPs, etc. I use it to help my brother who lives across the country
> on the East Coast. www.teamviewer.com
>

> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP

Malke

Re: Remote Assistance?
Julian wrote:
> Thanks Malke -
>
> Either it wasn't free or I missed it last time I looked for "remote
> desktop" type stuff (I'm using UltraVNC to watch an XP Home system at
> present - I'd switch that immediately except why go out to a TeamView
> server and in again for access on the same LAN! Unless it's smarter than
> that!)
>
> V. useful info - thanks

Well, when you want to manage your own machines then UltraVNC is great.
I wouldn't use Team Viewer for that. The advantage of Team Viewer is for
when you're helping friends and relations who are less than tech savvy.
My brother - who is a *very* smart man - had difficulty figuring out how
to attach his computer directly to the cable modem and then I had to
have him get the IP address and give it to me, etc. It was complicated
and if he needed help when he wasn't home it was impossible. With Team
Viewer all he has to do (once he's downloaded the Customer Module) is
double-click it and read me two sets of numbers. I don't want to sound
like a commercial for Team Viewer and I don't have any connection with
them other than using their software as described. I don't use Team
Viewer for business because it's crazy expensive but it's perfect for
helping out my bro'. :-)

Malke