Unidentified Network Help!!!!

Candace Sparks

Unidentified Network Help!!!!
We have built quite a few systems running Windows Vista Business. After the
OS installation and updates, the computer is not getting an IP address from
the router. It is getting the non-routable 169.........address. It is not
all of the systems, just a few. We have tried to no avail solving this
problem, and end up formatting and starting over; a client has called saying
he cannot get to the Internet with his new computer. I asked him to check
his IP address and it was the 169........ When the computer left the shop
it was connecting to the Internet just fine.

We are really frustrated!!! Is this a VISTA problem, and update problem or
????

Thank you for your help in advance!!

Candace Sparks

Seth

Re: Unidentified Network Help!!!!
"Candace Sparks" <consultants1@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:q72dnRosZ5qa2TTanZ2dnUVZ_jadnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
> We have built quite a few systems running Windows Vista Business. After
> the
> OS installation and updates, the computer is not getting an IP address
> from
> the router. It is getting the non-routable 169.........address. It is
> not
> all of the systems, just a few. We have tried to no avail solving this
> problem, and end up formatting and starting over; a client has called
> saying
> he cannot get to the Internet with his new computer. I asked him to check
> his IP address and it was the 169........ When the computer left the shop
> it was connecting to the Internet just fine.
>
> We are really frustrated!!! Is this a VISTA problem, and update problem or
> ????

What's the make/model/vintage of the router? If the router has an older
firmware it may need to be updated to be compliant with some of the latest
RFCs that Vista adheres to. When I first went Vista in late '06, some
network operations wouldn't work till I flashed my router. I was able to
get addresses correctly because I use a Windows server for DHCP, but some
things (like AV download from INternet) would fail till I flashed the
router.

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Unidentified Network Help!!!!
I would check if there is any new firmware for the router or new driver for
the NIC. Or this search result may help.

Resolution of Vista Unidentified NetworkThe Vista Unidentified Network or
Limited Connectivity could be hardware, TCP/IP configuration or security
issues. The following are some resolutions. ...
http://www.chicagotech.net/vista/uni...irdnetwork.htm

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

"Candace Sparks" <consultants1@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:q72dnRosZ5qa2TTanZ2dnUVZ_jadnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
> We have built quite a few systems running Windows Vista Business. After
> the
> OS installation and updates, the computer is not getting an IP address
> from
> the router. It is getting the non-routable 169.........address. It is
> not
> all of the systems, just a few. We have tried to no avail solving this
> problem, and end up formatting and starting over; a client has called
> saying
> he cannot get to the Internet with his new computer. I asked him to check
> his IP address and it was the 169........ When the computer left the shop
> it was connecting to the Internet just fine.
>
> We are really frustrated!!! Is this a VISTA problem, and update problem or
> ????
>
> Thank you for your help in advance!!
>

> Candace Sparks

Candace Sparks

Re: Unidentified Network Help!!!!
I have solved this problem at this particular home site. User has Comcast
phone and Internet, I had to do a hard reset of the Comcast modem.