Network Help

blistaonmyvista

Network Help
I have 3 ip's from my cable provider. I use a switch to connect to internet.
I have 3 PC's 2 XP Pro One vista Ult. My two xp machines see each other and
share fine but I can not get my Vista machine to see the XP machines.

I have done all the proper updates etc...I can ping the xp boxes etc.

Plese help
Kym

Re: Network Help
Make sure the vista pc has the same workgroup name as the XP machines.

Then also try turning "Network Discovery on"

from

kym

"blistaonmyvista" <blistaonmyvista@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:17DB0532-BA22-4DCD-9C62-87C2FF7C9444@microsoft.com...
> I have 3 ip's from my cable provider. I use a switch to connect to
> internet.
> I have 3 PC's 2 XP Pro One vista Ult. My two xp machines see each other
> and
> share fine but I can not get my Vista machine to see the XP machines.
>
> I have done all the proper updates etc...I can ping the xp boxes etc.
>
> Plese help

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Network Help
Can you ping each other? this following troubleshooting may help too.

Vista troubleshootingVista How to Collections
http://chicagotech.net/netforums/viewtopic.php?t=260 Info: Step by step
troubleshooting VISTA sharing ...
www.chicagotech.net/vista/vista.htm

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

"blistaonmyvista" <blistaonmyvista@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:17DB0532-BA22-4DCD-9C62-87C2FF7C9444@microsoft.com...
>I have 3 ip's from my cable provider. I use a switch to connect to
>internet.
> I have 3 PC's 2 XP Pro One vista Ult. My two xp machines see each other
> and
> share fine but I can not get my Vista machine to see the XP machines.
>
> I have done all the proper updates etc...I can ping the xp boxes etc.
>
> Plese help

blistaonmyvista

Re: Network Help
Yes I can ping all three boxes to each other. I have all the proper settings
on my Vista machine Discovery on etc. I am not a complete novice.
I use Live One Care on all 3 machines and I have tried to disable that and
share..but no good.
I can FTP from Vista to my XP boxes also. And get files
Workgroup names are all WORKGROUP etc.

Any other ideas? Thanks
"Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> Can you ping each other? this following troubleshooting may help too.
>
> Vista troubleshootingVista How to Collections
> http://chicagotech.net/netforums/viewtopic.php?t=260 Info: Step by step
> troubleshooting VISTA sharing ...
> www.chicagotech.net/vista/vista.htm
>

> --
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>

> "blistaonmyvista" <blistaonmyvista@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:17DB0532-BA22-4DCD-9C62-87C2FF7C9444@microsoft.com...
> >I have 3 ip's from my cable provider. I use a switch to connect to
> >internet.
> > I have 3 PC's 2 XP Pro One vista Ult. My two xp machines see each other
> > and
> > share fine but I can not get my Vista machine to see the XP machines.
> >
> > I have done all the proper updates etc...I can ping the xp boxes etc.
> >
> > Plese help

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Network Help
1. Try to install LLDT on XP.
2. Make sure NetBIOS over TCP/IP is enabled.
3. Make sure no firewall or security software blocks the sharing.

If above don't fix the problem, use net view \\xpipaddress to find the
system error.

--

message news:8ADCA244-A332-49AC-8A4F-AA77567946E5@microsoft.com...
> Yes I can ping all three boxes to each other. I have all the proper
> settings
> on my Vista machine Discovery on etc. I am not a complete novice.
> I use Live One Care on all 3 machines and I have tried to disable that and
> share..but no good.
> I can FTP from Vista to my XP boxes also. And get files
> Workgroup names are all WORKGROUP etc.
>
> Any other ideas? Thanks
> "Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
>> Can you ping each other? this following troubleshooting may help too.
>>
>> Vista troubleshootingVista How to Collections
>> http://chicagotech.net/netforums/viewtopic.php?t=260 Info: Step by step
>> troubleshooting VISTA sharing ...
>> www.chicagotech.net/vista/vista.htm
>>

>> --
>> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
>> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
>> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>>

>> "blistaonmyvista" <blistaonmyvista@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> message news:17DB0532-BA22-4DCD-9C62-87C2FF7C9444@microsoft.com...
>> >I have 3 ip's from my cable provider. I use a switch to connect to
>> >internet.
>> > I have 3 PC's 2 XP Pro One vista Ult. My two xp machines see each
>> > other
>> > and
>> > share fine but I can not get my Vista machine to see the XP machines.
>> >
>> > I have done all the proper updates etc...I can ping the xp boxes etc.
>> >
>> > Plese help

Chuck [MVP]

Re: Network Help
On Tue, 5 Feb 2008 20:01:01 -0800, blistaonmyvista
<blistaonmyvista@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have 3 ip's from my cable provider. I use a switch to connect to internet.
>I have 3 PC's 2 XP Pro One vista Ult. My two xp machines see each other and
>share fine but I can not get my Vista machine to see the XP machines.
>
>I have done all the proper updates etc...I can ping the xp boxes etc.

This is generally cause by a personal firewall or security program blocking
traffic, on the XP computers.
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/your-personal-firewall-can-either-help.html>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...ther-help.html

If you want to diagnose the problem, look at logs from "browstat status",
"ipconfig /all", "net config server", and "net config workstation", from each
computer. Read this article, and linked articles, and follow instructions
precisely (Download browstat, and note how to run the Vista command window as
admin!):

Cheers,
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
My email is AT DOT