Cannot share files or printer between XP SP2 and Vista machines.

usenet@csjewell.fastmail.us

Cannot share files or printer between XP SP2 and Vista machines.
I have 2 (actually 4, but 2 are important here) machines that can see
each other network-wise, but not share files.

The Windows XP machine (Home SP2) has the printer and files that need
shared. It can see the Vista machine (a laptop) when I go to "My
Network Places" and click on "View Network Computers", but clicking on
the machine gives me the error "\\Laptop is not accessible. You might
not have permission to access this network resource. Contact the
administrator of this server to find out if you have access
permissions. The network path is not found."

The XP machine can share to other XP machines just fine.

The Windows Vista machine (it's Home Premium RTM, no beta versions of
SP1 installed) can not see any other machine on the workgroup (it sees
the router, however) from "Network" on the start menu, but it sees the
XP machine in "Control Panel > Network Map" (the XP machine DOES have
LLTP installed so that this happens.) When I type in "\\Desktop" in
the address bar, the error is "Windows cannot find '\\Desktop'. Check
the spelling and try again. In "Control Panel > Network and Sharing
Center", Network discovery, File sharing, and Public folder sharing
are on, and my wireless network (it's encrypted and MAC-address-
filtered) shows up as a private network.

They both are "attached" (wireless) to a Linksys WRT54G v8 router.

For a firewall, they both have Windows Firewall running, with File and
Printer Sharing checked as an exemption. (turning off the firewall
does not affect the error)

They both have been updated using "Microsoft Update" (for the XP
machine) and "Windows Update" (for the Vista machine) within the last
week. They can ping each other's IP addresses just fine.

What do I need to do?
Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Cannot share files or printer between XP SP2 and Vista machines.
1. Make sure you have assigned permission in the Security tab on the Vista.
Check this link for more details.

Vista Permission IssuesCan I assume the external drive used to be connecting
to other computer and you just re-connect it the the Vista? Check the
permission using this command: . ...
www.chicagotech.net/vista/vistapermission.htm

2. Make sure no firewall or security software blocks the sharing.

Vista sharing issuesSolved: Vista sharing - Access denied ... To share a
folder, there are two places, you need to assign permission. sharing and
security tabs. ...
www.chicagotech.net/vista/vistasharing.htm

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

<usenet@csjewell.fastmail.us> wrote in message
>I have 2 (actually 4, but 2 are important here) machines that can see
> each other network-wise, but not share files.
>
> The Windows XP machine (Home SP2) has the printer and files that need
> shared. It can see the Vista machine (a laptop) when I go to "My
> Network Places" and click on "View Network Computers", but clicking on
> the machine gives me the error "\\Laptop is not accessible. You might
> not have permission to access this network resource. Contact the
> administrator of this server to find out if you have access
> permissions. The network path is not found."
>
> The XP machine can share to other XP machines just fine.
>
> The Windows Vista machine (it's Home Premium RTM, no beta versions of
> SP1 installed) can not see any other machine on the workgroup (it sees
> the router, however) from "Network" on the start menu, but it sees the
> XP machine in "Control Panel > Network Map" (the XP machine DOES have
> LLTP installed so that this happens.) When I type in "\\Desktop" in
> the address bar, the error is "Windows cannot find '\\Desktop'. Check
> the spelling and try again. In "Control Panel > Network and Sharing
> Center", Network discovery, File sharing, and Public folder sharing
> are on, and my wireless network (it's encrypted and MAC-address-
> filtered) shows up as a private network.
>
> They both are "attached" (wireless) to a Linksys WRT54G v8 router.
>
> For a firewall, they both have Windows Firewall running, with File and
> Printer Sharing checked as an exemption. (turning off the firewall
> does not affect the error)
>
> They both have been updated using "Microsoft Update" (for the XP
> machine) and "Windows Update" (for the Vista machine) within the last
> week. They can ping each other's IP addresses just fine.
>
> What do I need to do?

Mick Murphy

RE: Cannot share files or printer between XP SP2 and Vista machines.

How to give Permissions are there, too.

If you are running Norton, Trend Micro, McAfee, etc’s Firewall, check its
settings to make sure it allows file and printer sharing..

the SAME.

In Vista Network and Sharing:

File Sharing: ON

Docs)

from an XP computer.

"usenet@csjewell.fastmail.us" wrote:

> I have 2 (actually 4, but 2 are important here) machines that can see
> each other network-wise, but not share files.
>
> The Windows XP machine (Home SP2) has the printer and files that need
> shared. It can see the Vista machine (a laptop) when I go to "My
> Network Places" and click on "View Network Computers", but clicking on
> the machine gives me the error "\\Laptop is not accessible. You might
> not have permission to access this network resource. Contact the
> administrator of this server to find out if you have access
> permissions. The network path is not found."
>
> The XP machine can share to other XP machines just fine.
>
> The Windows Vista machine (it's Home Premium RTM, no beta versions of
> SP1 installed) can not see any other machine on the workgroup (it sees
> the router, however) from "Network" on the start menu, but it sees the
> XP machine in "Control Panel > Network Map" (the XP machine DOES have
> LLTP installed so that this happens.) When I type in "\\Desktop" in
> the address bar, the error is "Windows cannot find '\\Desktop'. Check
> the spelling and try again. In "Control Panel > Network and Sharing
> Center", Network discovery, File sharing, and Public folder sharing
> are on, and my wireless network (it's encrypted and MAC-address-
> filtered) shows up as a private network.
>
> They both are "attached" (wireless) to a Linksys WRT54G v8 router.
>
> For a firewall, they both have Windows Firewall running, with File and
> Printer Sharing checked as an exemption. (turning off the firewall
> does not affect the error)
>
> They both have been updated using "Microsoft Update" (for the XP
> machine) and "Windows Update" (for the Vista machine) within the last
> week. They can ping each other's IP addresses just fine.
>
> What do I need to do?

Karen

Re: Cannot share files or printer between XP SP2 and Vista machines.
I have a similar problem except I can access the Public folders from two XP
machines but not from another. I'm using the Guest account from all three
and Vista just won't let the third machine on.
What should I be looking for in this case?

"Robert L. (MS-MVP)" <blinNoEmailplease@mvps.org> wrote in message
> 1. Make sure you have assigned permission in the Security tab on the
> Vista. Check this link for more details.
>
> Vista Permission IssuesCan I assume the external drive used to be
> connecting to other computer and you just re-connect it the the Vista?
> Check the permission using this command: . ...
> www.chicagotech.net/vista/vistapermission.htm
>

> 2. Make sure no firewall or security software blocks the sharing.
>
> Vista sharing issuesSolved: Vista sharing - Access denied ... To share a
> folder, there are two places, you need to assign permission. sharing and
> security tabs. ...
> www.chicagotech.net/vista/vistasharing.htm
>

> --
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>

> <usenet@csjewell.fastmail.us> wrote in message
>>I have 2 (actually 4, but 2 are important here) machines that can see
>> each other network-wise, but not share files.
>>
>> The Windows XP machine (Home SP2) has the printer and files that need
>> shared. It can see the Vista machine (a laptop) when I go to "My
>> Network Places" and click on "View Network Computers", but clicking on
>> the machine gives me the error "\\Laptop is not accessible. You might
>> not have permission to access this network resource. Contact the
>> administrator of this server to find out if you have access
>> permissions. The network path is not found."
>>
>> The XP machine can share to other XP machines just fine.
>>
>> The Windows Vista machine (it's Home Premium RTM, no beta versions of
>> SP1 installed) can not see any other machine on the workgroup (it sees
>> the router, however) from "Network" on the start menu, but it sees the
>> XP machine in "Control Panel > Network Map" (the XP machine DOES have
>> LLTP installed so that this happens.) When I type in "\\Desktop" in
>> the address bar, the error is "Windows cannot find '\\Desktop'. Check
>> the spelling and try again. In "Control Panel > Network and Sharing
>> Center", Network discovery, File sharing, and Public folder sharing
>> are on, and my wireless network (it's encrypted and MAC-address-
>> filtered) shows up as a private network.
>>
>> They both are "attached" (wireless) to a Linksys WRT54G v8 router.
>>
>> For a firewall, they both have Windows Firewall running, with File and
>> Printer Sharing checked as an exemption. (turning off the firewall
>> does not affect the error)
>>
>> They both have been updated using "Microsoft Update" (for the XP
>> machine) and "Windows Update" (for the Vista machine) within the last
>> week. They can ping each other's IP addresses just fine.
>>
>> What do I need to do?

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Cannot share files or printer between XP SP2 and Vista machines.
First thing first. Can you ping the vista by name?