SP1 and Network List Service

Peter Cassidy

SP1 and Network List Service
Ok, installed Vista SP1 and now there's no network icon in system tray but
actual internet access works fine. I go to taskbar properties and select
always show network icon and the icon reappears but I get the two computers
with a red X. I mouse over it and get a window "connection status unknown :
the service to detect this status is turned off." So I click the message and
I get these options: "More Information. Connect to a Network. Network and
Sharing Center". I click more information and a box pops up asking me do I
want to turn on Network List Service. I click "turn this on" and windows
brings up the UAC prompt for Network and Sharing Center. I click continue
but the network icon does not change to a globe even after a reboot. I go
into the list of services in the Administrative Tools control panel and
attempt to turn on Network List Service there and I get this message "The
Network List Service service on Local Computer started and then stopped.
Some services stop automatically if they are not in use by other services or
programs." The services which this service depend on all are running,
although there also is the TCP/IP Protocol driver and NSI Proxy service
whose status I don't know. SL UI Notification Service which depends on this
service won't start. This worries me as this service has to do with
activation and I don''t want my (genuine) copy of Vista suddenly becoming
unactivated!

DrStrange

Bob

Re: SP1 and Network List Service
Why in the world did you install SP1 before the final edition is released?

In any event, if you can uninstall it do so and/or run System Restore to see
if that solves your problem.

"Peter Cassidy" <hseldon@NOSPAMntlworld.com> wrote in message
> Ok, installed Vista SP1 and now there's no network icon in system tray but
> actual internet access works fine. I go to taskbar properties and select
> always show network icon and the icon reappears but I get the two
> computers with a red X. I mouse over it and get a window "connection
> status unknown : the service to detect this status is turned off." So I
> click the message and I get these options: "More Information. Connect to a
> Network. Network and Sharing Center". I click more information and a box
> pops up asking me do I want to turn on Network List Service. I click "turn
> this on" and windows brings up the UAC prompt for Network and Sharing
> Center. I click continue but the network icon does not change to a globe
> even after a reboot. I go into the list of services in the Administrative
> Tools control panel and attempt to turn on Network List Service there and
> I get this message "The Network List Service service on Local Computer
> started and then stopped. Some services stop automatically if they are not
> in use by other services or programs." The services which this service
> depend on all are running, although there also is the TCP/IP Protocol
> driver and NSI Proxy service whose status I don't know. SL UI Notification
> Service which depends on this service won't start. This worries me as this
> service has to do with activation and I don''t want my (genuine) copy of
> Vista suddenly becoming unactivated!
>
> DrStrange

Mick Murphy

RE: SP1 and Network List Service
You are getting that notification service because you installed BETA version
SP1.

"Peter Cassidy" wrote:

> Ok, installed Vista SP1 and now there's no network icon in system tray but
> actual internet access works fine. I go to taskbar properties and select
> always show network icon and the icon reappears but I get the two computers
> with a red X. I mouse over it and get a window "connection status unknown :
> the service to detect this status is turned off." So I click the message and
> I get these options: "More Information. Connect to a Network. Network and
> Sharing Center". I click more information and a box pops up asking me do I
> want to turn on Network List Service. I click "turn this on" and windows
> brings up the UAC prompt for Network and Sharing Center. I click continue
> but the network icon does not change to a globe even after a reboot. I go
> into the list of services in the Administrative Tools control panel and
> attempt to turn on Network List Service there and I get this message "The
> Network List Service service on Local Computer started and then stopped.
> Some services stop automatically if they are not in use by other services or
> programs." The services which this service depend on all are running,
> although there also is the TCP/IP Protocol driver and NSI Proxy service
> whose status I don't know. SL UI Notification Service which depends on this
> service won't start. This worries me as this service has to do with
> activation and I don''t want my (genuine) copy of Vista suddenly becoming
> unactivated!
>
> DrStrange

Rud

Re: SP1 and Network List Service

ive just installed the official release from windows update and its
messed with my network icon too. same problem as you by the sounds of
it: computer with a red cross; "connection status: unknown, Server
execution failed". No networks found in network and sharing center etc

--
Rud
larso006

Re: SP1 and Network List Service

I've installed the official x86 file from MS versions from MSDN
subscription site (file and DVD.) I have the same result. The Windows
Logs:Security indicate that "Code integrity determined that the image
hash of a file is not valid." and goes on to mention tcpip.sys. I am
running vista Business with all current patches and no hacks of any
sort. The machine has not had any beta versions of the SP installed on
it. As a result of the securty issue with tcpip.sys, several secure
services will not stay up. These include cryptographic services, dns
client, network location awareness and terminal services. There is now a
file available on MS Downloads. I'll try that tomorrow.

Googling returns a result that indicates that the bug should be
reported to MS by whatever means were used to obtain the beta code.
These files are not supposed to be beta.

--
larso006
Andreas Schöneck

Re: SP1 and Network List Service
I get a similar error after installing SP1 RTM from Download Center. Here is
the XML description of the error.

<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="Application Error" />
<EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>100</Task>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<EventRecordID>27455</EventRecordID>
<Channel>Application</Channel>
<Computer>XPW</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data>svchost.exe_SSDPSRV</Data>
<Data>6.0.6001.18000</Data>
<Data>47919291</Data>
<Data>netprofm.dll_unloaded</Data>
<Data>0.0.0.0</Data>
<Data>4791ad84</Data>
<Data>c0000005</Data>
<Data>000007fef2183820</Data>
<Data>137c</Data>
<Data>01c88acfd3e47cda</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

There seems to be something wrong with netprofm.dll. It shows version
0.0.0.0 bit both netprofm.dll in system32 and syswow64 have 6.0.6001.18000.
Perhaps a setting went wrong (why "netprofm.dll_unloaded"?)

"larso006" wrote:

> I've installed the official x86 file from MS versions from MSDN
> subscription site (file and DVD.) I have the same result. The Windows
> Logs:Security indicate that "Code integrity determined that the image
> hash of a file is not valid." and goes on to mention tcpip.sys. I am
> running vista Business with all current patches and no hacks of any
> sort. The machine has not had any beta versions of the SP installed on
> it. As a result of the securty issue with tcpip.sys, several secure
> services will not stay up. These include cryptographic services, dns
> client, network location awareness and terminal services. There is now a
> file available on MS Downloads. I'll try that tomorrow.
>
> Googling returns a result that indicates that the bug should be
> reported to MS by whatever means were used to obtain the beta code.
> These files are not supposed to be beta.
>

> --
> larso006

larso006

Re: SP1 and Network List Service

see
http://www.vistax64.com/vista-networ...nectivity.html
for possible quick fix. Looks like it may be A/V software making
"unexpected" changes to registry permissions.

--
larso006
Andreas Schöneck

Re: SP1 and Network List Service
Thanks larso006, but I haven't got any A/V program installed on my x64 system
(except Windows Defender, please don't start a discussion about security
threats)

"larso006" wrote:

> see
> http://www.vistax64.com/vista-networ...nectivity.html
> for possible quick fix. Looks like it may be A/V software making
> "unexpected" changes to registry permissions.
>

> --
> larso006

Andreas Schöneck

RE: SP1 and Network List Service
I contacted MS Support today, and together the problem has been resoved.
There is probably a problem with permissions.

The first step was to open a command prompt with administrative privilegues
(use the start menu's search function, if you don't know where to find it.
Right click on it, then select to start with administrative privilegues,
confirm the action by clicking continue).

Type in:

net localgroup Administrators localservice /add

this will add the local service computer account to the administrators'
group. Please note that the group name may vary from a language version to
another (e.g. in German Windows it is Administratoren !!!)

If this command was successful restart your computer (if it is not
successful you could be using a wrong command line or the local service
account is already in the administrators' group -> ???). On my PC the red
cross disappeared - insted I get to see the world globe indicating internet
access.

I don't know whether this can be a security risk, maybe one wants to
evaluate this.

I hope this helps at least some of you.

"Peter Cassidy" wrote:

> Ok, installed Vista SP1 and now there's no network icon in system tray but
> ... "connection status unknown :
> the service to detect this status is turned off." ...
> want to turn on Network List Service. I click "turn this on" and windows
> brings up the UAC prompt for Network and Sharing Center. .... I go
> into the list of services in the Administrative Tools control panel and
> attempt to turn on Network List Service there and I get this message "The
> Network List Service service on Local Computer started and then stopped.
> Some services stop automatically if they are not in use by other services or
> programs." ...

Jaranus

Re: SP1 and Network List Service

I have found this problem on other Vista machines and have identified
the service that controls this function

-------
Problem:
connection status: unknown

the service to detect this status is turned off

Incorrect network connection status displayed on network icon.
-------

Solution:
Services>Network list service

by setting this service to automatic and starting it, the globe
correctly appears on the network icon.
-------

--
Jaranus