Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Wireless Router and Vista

microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 02-05-2008
jerryok
 

Posts: n/a
Wireless Router and Vista
Just got a new Dell Desktop with wireless card pre-installed. I have an
existing wireless router that all three of my other machines (XP) can see and
connect to just fine. No matter what I seem to do, the Vista machine tells me
there are no networks available. I've tried re-booting, re-freshing the
Network list, waiting and re-freshing, turning off various automatic
features, etc. Nothing seems to work and I need to connect to the Internet to
update the PC with the numerous security patches Vista needs when first
starting up.

Help!
--
jerryok123
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 02-05-2008
Mick Murphy
 

Posts: n/a
RE: Wireless Router and Vista
1. Will it connect wired?

2. Do you have the Wireless SSID network and Security Key already setup?

3.Do you allow the SSID to be broadcast?

"jerryok" wrote:

> Just got a new Dell Desktop with wireless card pre-installed. I have an
> existing wireless router that all three of my other machines (XP) can see and
> connect to just fine. No matter what I seem to do, the Vista machine tells me
> there are no networks available. I've tried re-booting, re-freshing the
> Network list, waiting and re-freshing, turning off various automatic
> features, etc. Nothing seems to work and I need to connect to the Internet to
> update the PC with the numerous security patches Vista needs when first
> starting up.
>
> Help!
> --
> jerryok123

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 02-05-2008
jerryok
 

Posts: n/a
RE: Wireless Router and Vista
1. I haven't tried yet to connect wired, this pc is in a different part of
the house from where my router is (and yes, other pc's do connect fine via
wireless in the room the pc is currently in).

2. Yes

3. Yes, it broadcasts just fine. In fact, there are several around my
neighborhood that broadcast and that all of my XP computers see. This PC does
not see any of those networks either.
--
jerryok123


"Mick Murphy" wrote:

> 1. Will it connect wired?
>
> 2. Do you have the Wireless SSID network and Security Key already setup?
>
> 3.Do you allow the SSID to be broadcast?
>
> "jerryok" wrote:
>
> > Just got a new Dell Desktop with wireless card pre-installed. I have an
> > existing wireless router that all three of my other machines (XP) can see and
> > connect to just fine. No matter what I seem to do, the Vista machine tells me
> > there are no networks available. I've tried re-booting, re-freshing the
> > Network list, waiting and re-freshing, turning off various automatic
> > features, etc. Nothing seems to work and I need to connect to the Internet to
> > update the PC with the numerous security patches Vista needs when first
> > starting up.
> >
> > Help!
> > --
> > jerryok123

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 02-06-2008
Mick Murphy
 

Posts: n/a
RE: Wireless Router and Vista
A normal prob would be having to update the firmware in the router to make it
work with vista.

Also, updating the Network adaptor in your vista laptop.

It is strange that you can see NO neighbourhood wireless Networks.

Ok, you might think this is stupid, but I have come across it with customers!

Some laptops have an ON/OFF wireless switch on them; and it HAS to be
clicked ON
################################################## #

"jerryok" wrote:

> 1. I haven't tried yet to connect wired, this pc is in a different part of
> the house from where my router is (and yes, other pc's do connect fine via
> wireless in the room the pc is currently in).
>
> 2. Yes
>
> 3. Yes, it broadcasts just fine. In fact, there are several around my
> neighborhood that broadcast and that all of my XP computers see. This PC does
> not see any of those networks either.
> --
> jerryok123
>
>
> "Mick Murphy" wrote:
>
> > 1. Will it connect wired?
> >
> > 2. Do you have the Wireless SSID network and Security Key already setup?
> >
> > 3.Do you allow the SSID to be broadcast?
> >
> > "jerryok" wrote:
> >
> > > Just got a new Dell Desktop with wireless card pre-installed. I have an
> > > existing wireless router that all three of my other machines (XP) can see and
> > > connect to just fine. No matter what I seem to do, the Vista machine tells me
> > > there are no networks available. I've tried re-booting, re-freshing the
> > > Network list, waiting and re-freshing, turning off various automatic
> > > features, etc. Nothing seems to work and I need to connect to the Internet to
> > > update the PC with the numerous security patches Vista needs when first
> > > starting up.
> > >
> > > Help!
> > > --
> > > jerryok123

Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 02-06-2008
jerryok
 

Posts: n/a
RE: Wireless Router and Vista
The system in question is a new desktop (as in brand new). It was an issue
with the wireless card somehow. I disabled and re-enabled the card, then it
decided it would work. Found my router and successfully attached to it!
Problem solved.

Thanks for your help.
--
jerryok123


"Mick Murphy" wrote:

> A normal prob would be having to update the firmware in the router to make it
> work with vista.
>
> Also, updating the Network adaptor in your vista laptop.
>
> It is strange that you can see NO neighbourhood wireless Networks.
>
> Ok, you might think this is stupid, but I have come across it with customers!
>
> Some laptops have an ON/OFF wireless switch on them; and it HAS to be
> clicked ON
> ################################################## #
>
> "jerryok" wrote:
>
> > 1. I haven't tried yet to connect wired, this pc is in a different part of
> > the house from where my router is (and yes, other pc's do connect fine via
> > wireless in the room the pc is currently in).
> >
> > 2. Yes
> >
> > 3. Yes, it broadcasts just fine. In fact, there are several around my
> > neighborhood that broadcast and that all of my XP computers see. This PC does
> > not see any of those networks either.
> > --
> > jerryok123
> >
> >
> > "Mick Murphy" wrote:
> >
> > > 1. Will it connect wired?
> > >
> > > 2. Do you have the Wireless SSID network and Security Key already setup?
> > >
> > > 3.Do you allow the SSID to be broadcast?
> > >
> > > "jerryok" wrote:
> > >
> > > > Just got a new Dell Desktop with wireless card pre-installed. I have an
> > > > existing wireless router that all three of my other machines (XP) can see and
> > > > connect to just fine. No matter what I seem to do, the Vista machine tells me
> > > > there are no networks available. I've tried re-booting, re-freshing the
> > > > Network list, waiting and re-freshing, turning off various automatic
> > > > features, etc. Nothing seems to work and I need to connect to the Internet to
> > > > update the PC with the numerous security patches Vista needs when first
> > > > starting up.
> > > >
> > > > Help!
> > > > --
> > > > jerryok123

Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 02-06-2008
Mick Murphy
 

Posts: n/a
RE: Wireless Router and Vista
Haha. Jerry, we'll put this one down to a legit "computer glitch"

"jerryok" wrote:

> The system in question is a new desktop (as in brand new). It was an issue
> with the wireless card somehow. I disabled and re-enabled the card, then it
> decided it would work. Found my router and successfully attached to it!
> Problem solved.
>
> Thanks for your help.
> --
> jerryok123
>
>
> "Mick Murphy" wrote:
>
> > A normal prob would be having to update the firmware in the router to make it
> > work with vista.
> >
> > Also, updating the Network adaptor in your vista laptop.
> >
> > It is strange that you can see NO neighbourhood wireless Networks.
> >
> > Ok, you might think this is stupid, but I have come across it with customers!
> >
> > Some laptops have an ON/OFF wireless switch on them; and it HAS to be
> > clicked ON
> > ################################################## #
> >
> > "jerryok" wrote:
> >
> > > 1. I haven't tried yet to connect wired, this pc is in a different part of
> > > the house from where my router is (and yes, other pc's do connect fine via
> > > wireless in the room the pc is currently in).
> > >
> > > 2. Yes
> > >
> > > 3. Yes, it broadcasts just fine. In fact, there are several around my
> > > neighborhood that broadcast and that all of my XP computers see. This PC does
> > > not see any of those networks either.
> > > --
> > > jerryok123
> > >
> > >
> > > "Mick Murphy" wrote:
> > >
> > > > 1. Will it connect wired?
> > > >
> > > > 2. Do you have the Wireless SSID network and Security Key already setup?
> > > >
> > > > 3.Do you allow the SSID to be broadcast?
> > > >
> > > > "jerryok" wrote:
> > > >
> > > > > Just got a new Dell Desktop with wireless card pre-installed. I have an
> > > > > existing wireless router that all three of my other machines (XP) can see and
> > > > > connect to just fine. No matter what I seem to do, the Vista machine tells me
> > > > > there are no networks available. I've tried re-booting, re-freshing the
> > > > > Network list, waiting and re-freshing, turning off various automatic
> > > > > features, etc. Nothing seems to work and I need to connect to the Internet to
> > > > > update the PC with the numerous security patches Vista needs when first
> > > > > starting up.
> > > > >
> > > > > Help!
> > > > > --
> > > > > jerryok123

Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 03-18-2008
Eric
 

Posts: n/a
RE: Wireless Router and Vista
I am having this same problem. I bought a new Dell Desktop with a Broadcom
802.11g Wireless card already installed. I have never been able to detect
any networks with this machine, but there are 5+ that broadcast in my area.
On my XP machine, I can view several networks and connect with no problem.

I've tried disabling and enabling the device several times like jerryok did,
but that did not work. I've tried manually connecting using my SSID, even
though I know it is broadcasting, but that doesn't work. I have
"uninstalled" the device, only to have it reinstalled automatically by Vista.

I have plugged in a USB Wireless Adapter, and I'm currently able to access
the internet with that, but I want the internal card to work.

I have uninstalled the drivers, but Vista will just reinstall them
immediately. The drivers for the internal wireless card are dated 2006 so
they MUST be old. So, I downloaded some that were dated 2007, but Vista
won't let me install them. It says that my drivers are up to date for that
device.

I also tried turning off IPv6, but I had no luck there either.

I ran a "netsh wlan filter ..." command in Command Prompt.
It displayed all available networks that my USB device sees and their
related info.
For my internal device it simply said that there were no networks detected.

"jerryok" wrote:

> Just got a new Dell Desktop with wireless card pre-installed. I have an
> existing wireless router that all three of my other machines (XP) can see and
> connect to just fine. No matter what I seem to do, the Vista machine tells me
> there are no networks available. I've tried re-booting, re-freshing the
> Network list, waiting and re-freshing, turning off various automatic
> features, etc. Nothing seems to work and I need to connect to the Internet to
> update the PC with the numerous security patches Vista needs when first
> starting up.
>
> Help!
> --
> jerryok123

Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 03-18-2008
Bob F.
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Wireless Router and Vista


--
Regards, BobF.
"Eric" <Eric@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:13FF746A-98C4-4005-A30B-F47EEFA0C435@microsoft.com...
>I am having this same problem. I bought a new Dell Desktop with a Broadcom
> 802.11g Wireless card already installed. I have never been able to detect
> any networks with this machine, but there are 5+ that broadcast in my
> area.
> On my XP machine, I can view several networks and connect with no problem.
>
> I've tried disabling and enabling the device several times like jerryok
> did,
> but that did not work. I've tried manually connecting using my SSID, even
> though I know it is broadcasting, but that doesn't work. I have
> "uninstalled" the device, only to have it reinstalled automatically by
> Vista.
>
> I have plugged in a USB Wireless Adapter, and I'm currently able to access
> the internet with that, but I want the internal card to work.


There's the clue right there. There isn't much of a difference between
having a card in a slot and operating the built in one. Looks like your
wireless inboard hardware is faulty. Needs replacement. If you just got
it, I'd suggest calling Dell.

>
> I have uninstalled the drivers, but Vista will just reinstall them
> immediately. The drivers for the internal wireless card are dated 2006 so
> they MUST be old. So, I downloaded some that were dated 2007, but Vista
> won't let me install them. It says that my drivers are up to date for
> that
> device.
>
> I also tried turning off IPv6, but I had no luck there either.
>
> I ran a "netsh wlan filter ..." command in Command Prompt.
> It displayed all available networks that my USB device sees and their
> related info.
> For my internal device it simply said that there were no networks
> detected.
>
> "jerryok" wrote:
>
>> Just got a new Dell Desktop with wireless card pre-installed. I have an
>> existing wireless router that all three of my other machines (XP) can see
>> and
>> connect to just fine. No matter what I seem to do, the Vista machine
>> tells me
>> there are no networks available. I've tried re-booting, re-freshing the
>> Network list, waiting and re-freshing, turning off various automatic
>> features, etc. Nothing seems to work and I need to connect to the
>> Internet to
>> update the PC with the numerous security patches Vista needs when first
>> starting up.
>>
>> Help!
>> --
>> jerryok123


Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 03-18-2008
John Lee Brown
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Wireless Router and Vista

"Bob F." <bob@NOSPAN.com> wrote in message
news:503DC84D-D4B5-437D-84CD-0F6F4040AFC1@microsoft.com...
>
>
> --
> Regards, BobF.
> "Eric" <Eric@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:13FF746A-98C4-4005-A30B-F47EEFA0C435@microsoft.com...
>>I am having this same problem. I bought a new Dell Desktop with a
>>Broadcom
>> 802.11g Wireless card already installed. I have never been able to
>> detect
>> any networks with this machine, but there are 5+ that broadcast in my
>> area.
>> On my XP machine, I can view several networks and connect with no
>> problem.
>>
>> I've tried disabling and enabling the device several times like jerryok
>> did,
>> but that did not work. I've tried manually connecting using my SSID,
>> even
>> though I know it is broadcasting, but that doesn't work. I have
>> "uninstalled" the device, only to have it reinstalled automatically by
>> Vista.
>>
>> I have plugged in a USB Wireless Adapter, and I'm currently able to
>> access
>> the internet with that, but I want the internal card to work.

>
> There's the clue right there. There isn't much of a difference between
> having a card in a slot and operating the built in one. Looks like your
> wireless inboard hardware is faulty. Needs replacement. If you just got
> it, I'd suggest calling Dell.
>
>>
>> I have uninstalled the drivers, but Vista will just reinstall them
>> immediately. The drivers for the internal wireless card are dated 2006
>> so
>> they MUST be old. So, I downloaded some that were dated 2007, but Vista
>> won't let me install them. It says that my drivers are up to date for
>> that
>> device.
>>
>> I also tried turning off IPv6, but I had no luck there either.
>>
>> I ran a "netsh wlan filter ..." command in Command Prompt.
>> It displayed all available networks that my USB device sees and their
>> related info.
>> For my internal device it simply said that there were no networks
>> detected.
>>
>> "jerryok" wrote:
>>
>>> Just got a new Dell Desktop with wireless card pre-installed. I have an
>>> existing wireless router that all three of my other machines (XP) can
>>> see and
>>> connect to just fine. No matter what I seem to do, the Vista machine
>>> tells me
>>> there are no networks available. I've tried re-booting, re-freshing the
>>> Network list, waiting and re-freshing, turning off various automatic
>>> features, etc. Nothing seems to work and I need to connect to the
>>> Internet to
>>> update the PC with the numerous security patches Vista needs when first
>>> starting up.
>>>
>>> Help!
>>> --
>>> jerryok123



Have you turned the wireless switch off and back on to make sure it is on.
My wife has turned hers off several times because of the location on her
Dell.
>



--
Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com

Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 03-18-2008
Eric
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Wireless Router and Vista
> Have you turned the wireless switch off and back on to make sure it is on.
> My wife has turned hers off several times because of the location on her
> Dell.
> >


Is this possible on a Desktop? If it is possible to turn one on and off on
a Desktop then I suppose I should verify that it is on. In Device Manager it
says that the card is working properly, but who knows. I thought it may just
be faulty at first, but it seems like there are a ton of problems with
Wireless Connectivity + Vista.

Several people have just said update the drivers. My Automatic Update just
reinstalls the same drivers though. Is there a way to prevent this from
happening automatically. I turned off Windows Update and unplugged my USB
Adapter (to disconnect from the internet) to prevent it from doing any sort
of auto update, but 2 seconds after I uninstall the Wireless Card's drivers,
Vista reinstalls them.

If I could prevent this, then I could try to install these other drivers
that I downloaded. Like I mentioned earlier, when I try to install them it
says the current ones are up to date. I simply don't believe it.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Vista + Wireless on same machine with the router? Michael B. microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 2 11-15-2007 13:11
Vista & connecting to wireless router Jerry West microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing 13 10-26-2007 10:30
Cannot connect to my wireless router with Vista. Shibblet microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 15 09-28-2007 22:42
XP and Vista networkin using wireless router Tinu microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing 3 06-15-2007 21:11
Vista and xp with wireless router question =?Utf-8?B?UmljaC1wLUZM?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing 5 03-17-2007 20:11




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 00:45.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120