enable wireless router

smeg ed

enable wireless router
Hi there all

Got a new laptop and trying to get it wireless with a belkin router, when i
go to network and sharing i can see the wireless icon there but it is not
conneted. how do i do this? Tried everything and i am about to crack up.
Friend reckons you must be conected with wires on one computer before you can
connect wireless for other computers (laptops). I only got one laptop which
i want wireless is this ok.

Cheers
Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: enable wireless router
Who setup the wireless router? You need the security inroamtion of the
router to setup your wireless.

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

"smeg ed" <smeg ed@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi there all
>
> Got a new laptop and trying to get it wireless with a belkin router, when
> go to network and sharing i can see the wireless icon there but it is not
> conneted. how do i do this? Tried everything and i am about to crack up.
> Friend reckons you must be conected with wires on one computer before you
> can
> connect wireless for other computers (laptops). I only got one laptop
> which
> i want wireless is this ok.
>
> Cheers

Chuck [MVP]

Re: enable wireless router
On Tue, 5 Feb 2008 05:57:13 -0800, smeg ed <smeg ed@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>Hi there all
>
>Got a new laptop and trying to get it wireless with a belkin router, when i
>go to network and sharing i can see the wireless icon there but it is not
>conneted. how do i do this? Tried everything and i am about to crack up.
>Friend reckons you must be conected with wires on one computer before you can
>connect wireless for other computers (laptops). I only got one laptop which
>i want wireless is this ok.
>
>Cheers

You can setup a WiFi router, using a WiFi connected client, it's just not a good
idea. Most modern laptop computers come with an Ethernet port. Do you lack the
port, or the cable?
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/11/setting-up-wifi-lan.html#AccessPoint>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/1...ml#AccessPoint

--
Cheers,
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
Mick Murphy

RE: enable wireless router
You have a belkin router and a laptop.

1. Connect your laptop to the router with a Cat5 cable(Ethernet cable)
2. log into your router.
3. Set up your internet connection(username and passoword, if this is the
only computer on your network).
You will see the different sections when you are there!
4. Set up a SSID Network and WPA or WPA2 Security Key.
5. Save all changes.
6. disconnect cable from laptop.
7. in vista, go to start>connect to> your wireless network should show.

You don't provide enough info as to whether yours is the sole computer, or
not.

"smeg ed" wrote:

> Hi there all
>
> Got a new laptop and trying to get it wireless with a belkin router, when i
> go to network and sharing i can see the wireless icon there but it is not
> conneted. how do i do this? Tried everything and i am about to crack up.
> Friend reckons you must be conected with wires on one computer before you can
> connect wireless for other computers (laptops). I only got one laptop which
> i want wireless is this ok.
>
> Cheers

smeg ed

RE: enable wireless router
Thanks for that, I have done all this but when i search for wireless device
it cant find any, never mind i got this guy coming today (charging me 35
quid) to sort it out will post what i did wrong if anything. Thanks again.
New to this game so i will prob need help in future. Lucky you lot are out
there and so helpful.

smeg ed

"Mick Murphy" wrote:

> You have a belkin router and a laptop.
>
> 1. Connect your laptop to the router with a Cat5 cable(Ethernet cable)
> 2. log into your router.
> 3. Set up your internet connection(username and passoword, if this is the
> only computer on your network).
> You will see the different sections when you are there!
> 4. Set up a SSID Network and WPA or WPA2 Security Key.
> 5. Save all changes.
> 6. disconnect cable from laptop.
> 7. in vista, go to start>connect to> your wireless network should show.
>
> You don't provide enough info as to whether yours is the sole computer, or
> not.
>
> "smeg ed" wrote:
>
> > Hi there all
> >
> > Got a new laptop and trying to get it wireless with a belkin router, when i
> > go to network and sharing i can see the wireless icon there but it is not
> > conneted. how do i do this? Tried everything and i am about to crack up.
> > Friend reckons you must be conected with wires on one computer before you can
> > connect wireless for other computers (laptops). I only got one laptop which
> > i want wireless is this ok.
> >
> > Cheers

smeg ed

RE: enable wireless router
Hi Mick

Had enough and got this guy to sort out problem, laptop was wireless when
the guy was here problem now is i unplugged the router to plug it in a more
permenant place when i switched all back on again cant go wireless again.
What is happening here i'm crackng up? when wired it is telling me i am
connected to wireless but soon as i unplug and scan for wireless device it
cant find any networks.

I have the laptop as the sole one on the internet.

Cheers