can see vista public folders on XP but not private

=?Utf-8?B?RWQ0Mw==?=

can see vista public folders on XP but not private
Okay--Im no expert....
But Ive read a tonand cant figure this out.
Like many, I can see my XP files on my Vista, but not VisaVersa

I get the no admin allowance, etc...

But I clicked the "USER" folder and was able to look at my public files.
So, I disabled the private folder and enabled the public folder--but now the
Vista computer cant see anything on the network.

Is it pretty common knowledge that these issue are a problem within Vista?
Does Microsoft know this? Is there a fix coming.

Are there current fixes?

Will I have to try something like Network Magic? Does it work? Does it
mess up Vista?

By the way--one problem with Vista Mail---If you get an email and there is a
link to it's site , it throws out the current site you were on---Outlook
Express doesnt do that. For ex.---I was uploading pics to Sams club--while
it was taking place, I went to mail and opened up a Jos A Banks email. It
had a link to it's site--I clicked, but it knocked the Sam's club page
off--not good!
Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: can see vista public folders on XP but not private
It is recommended to share public folder. if for some reasons, you need to share other root or folders, create the same username on all computers. This link may help,

Vista common issue - can see but access
http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums/viewforum.php?f=3

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
"Ed43" <Ed43@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9DB8A11A-A9FE-4AD5-BD74-8DDBC25FDF53@microsoft.com...
[...]

=?Utf-8?B?S2ltIFtNU10=?=

RE: can see vista public folders on XP but not private
Ed43,

I'm sorry you're experincing trouble. We're rewriting our online Help
content to address these types of issues simply and clearly. Let me know if
these pages don't help. Check out:
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...e86151033.mspx.

"Ed43" wrote:

> Okay--Im no expert....
> But Ive read a tonand cant figure this out.
> Like many, I can see my XP files on my Vista, but not VisaVersa
>
> I get the no admin allowance, etc...
>
> But I clicked the "USER" folder and was able to look at my public files.
> So, I disabled the private folder and enabled the public folder--but now the
> Vista computer cant see anything on the network.
>
> Is it pretty common knowledge that these issue are a problem within Vista?
> Does Microsoft know this? Is there a fix coming.
>
> Are there current fixes?
>
> Will I have to try something like Network Magic? Does it work? Does it
> mess up Vista?
>
> By the way--one problem with Vista Mail---If you get an email and there is a
> link to it's site , it throws out the current site you were on---Outlook
> Express doesnt do that. For ex.---I was uploading pics to Sams club--while
> it was taking place, I went to mail and opened up a Jos A Banks email. It
> had a link to it's site--I clicked, but it knocked the Sam's club page
> off--not good!

Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: can see vista public folders on XP but not private
Kim,

Thank you for the link that is very helpful.

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE

"Ed43" wrote:

> Okay--Im no expert....
> But Ive read a tonand cant figure this out.
> Like many, I can see my XP files on my Vista, but not VisaVersa
>
> I get the no admin allowance, etc...
>
> But I clicked the "USER" folder and was able to look at my public files.
> So, I disabled the private folder and enabled the public folder--but now the
> Vista computer cant see anything on the network.
>
> Is it pretty common knowledge that these issue are a problem within Vista?
> Does Microsoft know this? Is there a fix coming.
>
> Are there current fixes?
>
> Will I have to try something like Network Magic? Does it work? Does it
> mess up Vista?
>
> By the way--one problem with Vista Mail---If you get an email and there is a
> link to it's site , it throws out the current site you were on---Outlook
> Express doesnt do that. For ex.---I was uploading pics to Sams club--while
> it was taking place, I went to mail and opened up a Jos A Banks email. It
> had a link to it's site--I clicked, but it knocked the Sam's club page
> off--not good!

Eric Cross [MVP]

Re: can see vista public folders on XP but not private
Kim, that was very helpful. Thanks!

--
Eric Cross
Microsoft MVP (Windows Networking)