Network not working

McBain

Network not working
I can't see the other pc (XP) on this small home network. "Sharing",
"Discovery" and all that jazz is actually ON. Network type is private.
Workgroup is the same. Vista finds the printer and internet okay.
PC Medic

Re: Network not working

"McBain" <McBain@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I can't see the other pc (XP) on this small home network. "Sharing",
> "Discovery" and all that jazz is actually ON. Network type is private.
> Workgroup is the same. Vista finds the printer and internet okay.

I have been going through the same issue for several days. had done all the
usual and no dice including enabling NetBIOS Over TCP/IP and even restarting
as is sometimes needed. What I had not tried yet was actually *shutting
down* and then powering back on the system after changing this setting. For
some reason it did the trick.
I even confirmed it by disabling the setting and simply restarting. Network
still worked fine.
Shut-down and reboot, net connection to XP system was gone again.
Re-enable the setting and restart ...still gone
Shut-down and then reboot...working again
go figure!

So ...
Enable NetBIOS Over TCP/IP
Shut Down
Wait a minute or two and then power back on.

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Network not working
computer browser may take 15 or 20 minutes to list the other computers. that
could be the issue too.

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

"PC Medic" <pcmedic2@gmail.com> wrote in message

> "McBain" <McBain@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>I can't see the other pc (XP) on this small home network. "Sharing",
>> "Discovery" and all that jazz is actually ON. Network type is private.
>> Workgroup is the same. Vista finds the printer and internet okay.

> I have been going through the same issue for several days. had done all
> the usual and no dice including enabling NetBIOS Over TCP/IP and even
> restarting as is sometimes needed. What I had not tried yet was actually
> *shutting down* and then powering back on the system after changing this
> setting. For some reason it did the trick.
> I even confirmed it by disabling the setting and simply restarting.
> Network still worked fine.
> Shut-down and reboot, net connection to XP system was gone again.
> Re-enable the setting and restart ...still gone
> Shut-down and then reboot...working again
> go figure!
>
> So ...
> Enable NetBIOS Over TCP/IP
> Shut Down
> Wait a minute or two and then power back on.

planorover

Re: Network not working
I am struggling with the same problem. Would you mind posting how you
installed and enabled NetBios over TCP/IP. I have not found it in Vista. I
assume you did it in Vista and not XP. Thanks.

"PC Medic" wrote:

> "McBain" <McBain@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I can't see the other pc (XP) on this small home network. "Sharing",
> > "Discovery" and all that jazz is actually ON. Network type is private.
> > Workgroup is the same. Vista finds the printer and internet okay.

> I have been going through the same issue for several days. had done all the
> usual and no dice including enabling NetBIOS Over TCP/IP and even restarting
> as is sometimes needed. What I had not tried yet was actually *shutting
> down* and then powering back on the system after changing this setting. For
> some reason it did the trick.
> I even confirmed it by disabling the setting and simply restarting. Network
> still worked fine.
> Shut-down and reboot, net connection to XP system was gone again.
> Re-enable the setting and restart ...still gone
> Shut-down and then reboot...working again
> go figure!
>
> So ...
> Enable NetBIOS Over TCP/IP
> Shut Down
> Wait a minute or two and then power back on.

McBain

Re: Network not working
I'll post that later tonight when I'm home again. Should also say that I've
turned off firewalls and antivirus for xp. The Vista machine has no third
party antivirus yet.

"planorover" <planorover@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am struggling with the same problem. Would you mind posting how you
> installed and enabled NetBios over TCP/IP. I have not found it in Vista. I
> assume you did it in Vista and not XP. Thanks.
>
> "PC Medic" wrote:

Google is your friend
http://ecross.mvps.org/howto/netbt.htm

PC Medic

Re: Network not working

"Robert L. (MS-MVP)" <blinNoEmailplease@mvps.org> wrote in message
> computer browser may take 15 or 20 minutes to list the other computers.
> that could be the issue too.
>
> --
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> http://www.HowToNetworking.com

I have been working with PC's since 1981 and networks since about 87 and I
have never had to wait 15-20 minutes for a PC to show up in a simple
Peer-to-Peer network in my life. What would be a possible reason for this?

By the way, scratch my solution (I think). Got up this morning and back to
square one again and unable to get PC's to see each other again no matter
what I have tried so far. Or do I need to wait 3-5 days for Vista to
propagate on this great big two system network.

McBain

Re: Network not working
Yes, I've done simple networks like this for years; it shouldn't be that
hard. All the settings are correct yet my trusty XP pc can't see the newer
vista. When I get home I'll try out your links suggestion. Thanx.

"PC Medic" wrote:

> "planorover" <planorover@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am struggling with the same problem. Would you mind posting how you
> > installed and enabled NetBios over TCP/IP. I have not found it in Vista. I
> > assume you did it in Vista and not XP. Thanks.
> >
> > "PC Medic" wrote:
> >

> Google is your friend
> http://ecross.mvps.org/howto/netbt.htm

PC Medic

Re: Network not working
You're right it *shouldn't* be this difficult.
One of the many Vista 'improvements' I guess :0)

news6BC4D32-BE66-467F-867F-05AB10468538@microsoft.com...