Vista Home Basic To XP Pro

=?Utf-8?B?QXJ0IENhYm90?=

Vista Home Basic To XP Pro
I'm in my first week of a love/hate relationship with Vista and have seen
bits of my issue in several posts, but nothing that seems to match totally...

I have one Vista machine in one location that successfully sees a Windows
2000 machine in the same workgroup.

However, in another location I have a Vista machine that:
Connects to the network
Gets a DHCP address from the router
Is in the same workgroup as the other computers
Can map a printer that's shared on the XP Pro machine
Can ping the other XP Pro machines in the workgroup
Does NOT see the XP machines when I go to the Network & Sharing Center
Can NOT be opened by one of the XP's, even though it can be seen

It sounds like a rights issue, but I'm having a bit of a struggle finding my
way through this new OS. Can anybody lay out a trail of breadcrumbs for me?
--
Art Cabot
Director, Information Technology
Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: Vista Home Basic To XP Pro
To work on permission issue, this link may help,

Vista common issue - can see but access
http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums/viewforum.php?f=3

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
"Art Cabot" <ArtCabot@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8AA57A51-54E1-49D7-9B25-906653268189@microsoft.com...
[...]

=?Utf-8?B?S2ltIFtNU10=?=

RE: Vista Home Basic To XP Pro
Art,

I'm sorry you're experiencing trouble. We're rewriting some of our Help
pages so that they clearly and simply guide a user through troubleshooting
some of these issues. Please check out:
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...fcead1033.mspx.
That page deals with troubleshooting problems finding computers on a home
network.

Let me know if this helps or not.

Thanks

"Art Cabot" wrote:

> I'm in my first week of a love/hate relationship with Vista and have seen
> bits of my issue in several posts, but nothing that seems to match totally...
>
> I have one Vista machine in one location that successfully sees a Windows
> 2000 machine in the same workgroup.
>
> However, in another location I have a Vista machine that:
> Connects to the network
> Gets a DHCP address from the router
> Is in the same workgroup as the other computers
> Can map a printer that's shared on the XP Pro machine
> Can ping the other XP Pro machines in the workgroup
> Does NOT see the XP machines when I go to the Network & Sharing Center
> Can NOT be opened by one of the XP's, even though it can be seen
>
> It sounds like a rights issue, but I'm having a bit of a struggle finding my
> way through this new OS. Can anybody lay out a trail of breadcrumbs for me?
> --
> Art Cabot
> Director, Information Technology
> Sizemore, Inc.

=?Utf-8?B?S2ltIFtNU10=?=

RE: Vista Home Basic To XP Pro
Art,

I forgot to add that in order for machines with older Windows operating
systems to "light up" on Vista's Network Map, you need to install the LLTD
Responder on the *older* Windows machines. You can pick that up at:

This Responder merely allows you to 'see' all your home machines in your
Vista Network Map. You still need to set your security settings on the Vista
machine to allow for file and printer sharing. Those directions can be found
on the link I already sent you.

Hope that helps.