File sharing

Paul Kaye

File sharing
Network of two computers, a desktop running vista home premium and a laptop
running vista basic. I am the only user on each of the computers, my user
account name is the same on both computers and I don't need a password to log
on.
File sharing is 'on', password protected sharing is 'off', and I have shared
the 'documents' folder on both machines

When I view my network I see both computers "PAUL-PC" and PAUL-LAPTOP", when
I select the one I'm not working on I see "Users", "Documents" and
"Printers". When I select "Documents" I see "\\PAUL-LAPTOP\Documents is not
accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource.......
etc."

Same result from either computer.
--
Paul Kaye
Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: File sharing
Vista may not allow you access remotely without a password. Assign the same
password to the username and try it assign. Please post back with the
result. Or you may want to check this post.

Why do I need passwordVista actually requires a password for file and
printer sharing. It's not optional, even if you have password-protected
sharing off. Hope this helps! ...
http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...opic.php?t=686

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

"Paul Kaye" <paulkaye@msn.com(nospam)> wrote in message
> Network of two computers, a desktop running vista home premium and a
> laptop
> running vista basic. I am the only user on each of the computers, my user
> account name is the same on both computers and I don't need a password to
> log
> on.
> File sharing is 'on', password protected sharing is 'off', and I have
> shared
> the 'documents' folder on both machines
>
> When I view my network I see both computers "PAUL-PC" and PAUL-LAPTOP",
> when
> I select the one I'm not working on I see "Users", "Documents" and
> "Printers". When I select "Documents" I see "\\PAUL-LAPTOP\Documents is
> not
> accessible. You might not have permission to use this network
> resource.......
> etc."
>
> Same result from either computer.
> --
> Paul Kaye

Brink

Re: File sharing

Paul Kaye;596069 Wrote:
> Network of two computers, a desktop running vista home premium and a
> laptop
> running vista basic. I am the only user on each of the computers, my
> user
> account name is the same on both computers and I don't need a password
> to log
> on.
> File sharing is 'on', password protected sharing is 'off', and I have
> shared
> the 'documents' folder on both machines
>
> When I view my network I see both computers "PAUL-PC" and PAUL-LAPTOP",
> when
> I select the one I'm not working on I see "Users", "Documents" and
> "Printers". When I select "Documents" I see "\\PAUL-LAPTOP\Documents is
> not
> accessible. You might not have permission to use this network
> resource.......
> etc."
>
> Same result from either computer.
> --
> Paul Kaye

Hi Paul,

Doubel check to make sure that the user account is listed as allowed to
share the file or folder (Documents). As Robert posted, you should use a
password. Vista can be finicky on this without one.

See if this can help you. Look at any related link that you thing can
help you to.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/12...ng-enable.html

Shawn

--
Brink

'*Vista Forums*'
*Please post feedback to help others.*
Paul Kaye

Re: File sharing
Good job. Establishing the same password on both computers did it.
Thanks....
--
Paul Kaye

"Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> Vista may not allow you access remotely without a password. Assign the same
> password to the username and try it assign. Please post back with the
> result. Or you may want to check this post.
>
> Why do I need passwordVista actually requires a password for file and
> printer sharing. It's not optional, even if you have password-protected
> sharing off. Hope this helps! ...
> http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...opic.php?t=686
>

> --
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>

> "Paul Kaye" <paulkaye@msn.com(nospam)> wrote in message
> > Network of two computers, a desktop running vista home premium and a
> > laptop
> > running vista basic. I am the only user on each of the computers, my user
> > account name is the same on both computers and I don't need a password to
> > log
> > on.
> > File sharing is 'on', password protected sharing is 'off', and I have
> > shared
> > the 'documents' folder on both machines
> >
> > When I view my network I see both computers "PAUL-PC" and PAUL-LAPTOP",
> > when
> > I select the one I'm not working on I see "Users", "Documents" and
> > "Printers". When I select "Documents" I see "\\PAUL-LAPTOP\Documents is
> > not
> > accessible. You might not have permission to use this network
> > resource.......
> > etc."
> >
> > Same result from either computer.
> > --