Can't see other Computer on Network after installing network printer

OldManEd

Can't see other Computer on Network after installing network printer
I have a new Vista Home Premium computer and an older XP computer. After
installing my new Vista computer and adjusting network parameters, I had no
trouble seeing all the shared folders on my XP computer from my new Vista.

I then added a printer to Vista to access a printer hard wired to the XP. I
have no problem printing from Vista but I no longer 'see' the shared folders
on my XP computer.

How do I get visible access (using Windows Explorer) to the XP's shared
folders?

Thanks,
Ed

Agent Smith

RE: Can't see other Computer on Network after installing network print
Could be several things. Can you post back some answers to a few questions?
Be as detailed as possible and include any error messages.

1.) Do you get any error messages when you type in "\\XPComputerName\" from
Start Search on the Vista PC?
2.) Do you have any 3rd party firewall software on either PC?
3.) What are your current Network and Sharing Center settings?
4.) Have you tried installing the LLTD XP Update?
5.) Are all machines part of the same Workgroup?
6.) Can you PING by IP?
7.) Can you PING by computer name?

"OldManEd" wrote:

> I have a new Vista Home Premium computer and an older XP computer. After
> installing my new Vista computer and adjusting network parameters, I had no
> trouble seeing all the shared folders on my XP computer from my new Vista.
>
> I then added a printer to Vista to access a printer hard wired to the XP. I
> have no problem printing from Vista but I no longer 'see' the shared folders
> on my XP computer.
>
> How do I get visible access (using Windows Explorer) to the XP's shared
> folders?
>
> Thanks,
> Ed

Mick Murphy

RE: Can't see other Computer on Network after installing network p
AlexB returns with an alias!!