Vista cannot see XP PCs on the same network

SomeOldGeezer

Vista cannot see XP PCs on the same network
I have a home network consisting of five PCs: three running Windows XP and
two running Vista. All five PCs share a common internet connection (AT&T
U-verse via a 2Wire DSL(?)). All five PCs can see the internet just fine.
However, the three Windows XP PCs can see each other just fine. The two
Windows Vista PCs can't see anyone else on the network, including each other.

Additional configuration information: The three Windows XP PCs are running
Norton AntiVirus 2007 (fully upgraded). The two Vista PCs are running Norton
360.

What I have tried so far:

+ I changed the workgroup name to a common name.

+ I downloaded and installed the network mapping upgrade for Windows XP on
one PC to see if I could get it to work.

+ I have searched the Microsoft web site for instructions and attempted to
execute them to the best of my ability, including changing work group names,
setting private network, OS updates, etc.

Thus far, each Vista PC has seen the rest of the PCs on the network exactly
one time and have never seen them again. I have spent over two weeks trying
to solve this problem with no luck. There are resources I need to be able to
share, like printers, etc., across this network and am unable to do so.

It seems ironic to me that such an allegedly sophisticated and
"user-friendly" OS can't be made to do what it would have taken me less than
five minutes to configure in Windows XP.

I know this is probably a simple problem, but I am really stumped on this one.

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Vista cannot see XP PCs on the same network
It could be the Norton blocks the sharing. This post may help.

Can't access sharing because of NortonSo it turned out that I had Norton
Firewall still running on the Vista > machine. I'm able to access the Vista
from the XP laptop if I disable the ...
http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...pic.php?t=1667

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

"SomeOldGeezer" <SomeOldGeezer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a home network consisting of five PCs: three running Windows XP and
> two running Vista. All five PCs share a common internet connection (AT&T
> U-verse via a 2Wire DSL(?)). All five PCs can see the internet just fine.
> However, the three Windows XP PCs can see each other just fine. The two
> Windows Vista PCs can't see anyone else on the network, including each
> other.
>
> Additional configuration information: The three Windows XP PCs are running
> Norton AntiVirus 2007 (fully upgraded). The two Vista PCs are running
> Norton
> 360.
>
> What I have tried so far:
>
> + I changed the workgroup name to a common name.
>
> + I downloaded and installed the network mapping upgrade for Windows XP on
> one PC to see if I could get it to work.
>
> + I have searched the Microsoft web site for instructions and attempted to
> execute them to the best of my ability, including changing work group
> names,
> setting private network, OS updates, etc.
>
> Thus far, each Vista PC has seen the rest of the PCs on the network
> exactly
> one time and have never seen them again. I have spent over two weeks
> trying
> to solve this problem with no luck. There are resources I need to be able
> share, like printers, etc., across this network and am unable to do so.
>
> It seems ironic to me that such an allegedly sophisticated and
> "user-friendly" OS can't be made to do what it would have taken me less
> than
> five minutes to configure in Windows XP.
>
> I know this is probably a simple problem, but I am really stumped on this
> one.

Agent Smith

RE: Vista cannot see XP PCs on the same network
You issue has nothing to do with Vista or XP. Your problem is the Norton 360
software. Norton 360 comes with a firewall built-in. By default, it will
block the communication that WIndows File and Printer Sharing uses. This is
why the two Vista machines are unable to interact with each other and the XP
PCs. Your XP PCs have Norton AV 2007 which does not have a firewall component
to it. So no changes are needed on the XP PCs.

Here is the step by step to trust your local network on Norton 360.
1.) Open Norton 360.
2.) Click on "Task and Settings"
3.) Click on "Change Advanced Settings"
4.) Click on "Firewall Protection Settings"
5.) Click on "Network Location"
6.) Your should notice your local network is under the "Limited" location,
select your network gateway address (your 2Wire's Mac Address) and click the
left-arrow button to move it to "Trusted" location.
7.) Click on "Apply"
8.) Click on "Close"
9.) Hopefully enjoy File and Printer Sharing!!

"SomeOldGeezer" wrote:

> I have a home network consisting of five PCs: three running Windows XP and
> two running Vista. All five PCs share a common internet connection (AT&T
> U-verse via a 2Wire DSL(?)). All five PCs can see the internet just fine.
> However, the three Windows XP PCs can see each other just fine. The two
> Windows Vista PCs can't see anyone else on the network, including each other.
>
> Additional configuration information: The three Windows XP PCs are running
> Norton AntiVirus 2007 (fully upgraded). The two Vista PCs are running Norton
> 360.
>
> What I have tried so far:
>
> + I changed the workgroup name to a common name.
>
> + I downloaded and installed the network mapping upgrade for Windows XP on
> one PC to see if I could get it to work.
>
> + I have searched the Microsoft web site for instructions and attempted to
> execute them to the best of my ability, including changing work group names,
> setting private network, OS updates, etc.
>
> Thus far, each Vista PC has seen the rest of the PCs on the network exactly
> one time and have never seen them again. I have spent over two weeks trying
> to solve this problem with no luck. There are resources I need to be able to
> share, like printers, etc., across this network and am unable to do so.
>
> It seems ironic to me that such an allegedly sophisticated and
> "user-friendly" OS can't be made to do what it would have taken me less than
> five minutes to configure in Windows XP.
>
> I know this is probably a simple problem, but I am really stumped on this one.

Agent Smith

RE: Vista cannot see XP PCs on the same network
So this worked for you? Just wanted to make sure.

"Agent Smith" wrote:

> You issue has nothing to do with Vista or XP. Your problem is the Norton 360
> software. Norton 360 comes with a firewall built-in. By default, it will
> block the communication that WIndows File and Printer Sharing uses. This is
> why the two Vista machines are unable to interact with each other and the XP
> PCs. Your XP PCs have Norton AV 2007 which does not have a firewall component
> to it. So no changes are needed on the XP PCs.
>
> Here is the step by step to trust your local network on Norton 360.
> 1.) Open Norton 360.
> 2.) Click on "Task and Settings"
> 3.) Click on "Change Advanced Settings"
> 4.) Click on "Firewall Protection Settings"
> 5.) Click on "Network Location"
> 6.) Your should notice your local network is under the "Limited" location,
> select your network gateway address (your 2Wire's Mac Address) and click the
> left-arrow button to move it to "Trusted" location.
> 7.) Click on "Apply"
> 8.) Click on "Close"
> 9.) Hopefully enjoy File and Printer Sharing!!
>
> "SomeOldGeezer" wrote:
>
> > I have a home network consisting of five PCs: three running Windows XP and
> > two running Vista. All five PCs share a common internet connection (AT&T
> > U-verse via a 2Wire DSL(?)). All five PCs can see the internet just fine.
> > However, the three Windows XP PCs can see each other just fine. The two
> > Windows Vista PCs can't see anyone else on the network, including each other.
> >
> > Additional configuration information: The three Windows XP PCs are running
> > Norton AntiVirus 2007 (fully upgraded). The two Vista PCs are running Norton
> > 360.
> >
> > What I have tried so far:
> >
> > + I changed the workgroup name to a common name.
> >
> > + I downloaded and installed the network mapping upgrade for Windows XP on
> > one PC to see if I could get it to work.
> >
> > + I have searched the Microsoft web site for instructions and attempted to
> > execute them to the best of my ability, including changing work group names,
> > setting private network, OS updates, etc.
> >
> > Thus far, each Vista PC has seen the rest of the PCs on the network exactly
> > one time and have never seen them again. I have spent over two weeks trying
> > to solve this problem with no luck. There are resources I need to be able to
> > share, like printers, etc., across this network and am unable to do so.
> >
> > It seems ironic to me that such an allegedly sophisticated and
> > "user-friendly" OS can't be made to do what it would have taken me less than
> > five minutes to configure in Windows XP.
> >
> > I know this is probably a simple problem, but I am really stumped on this one.

SomeOldGeezer

RE: Vista cannot see XP PCs on the same network
I don't know for certain yet; I am at work and won't be able to try it until
I get home tonight. However, I had a suspicion that Norton 360 might be
involved (and, of course, I couldn't find any information on their website).
But this is the best answer I've seen on a couple of different forums that I
haven't tried yet, so I am optimistic that this will work.

"Agent Smith" wrote:

> So this worked for you? Just wanted to make sure.
>
> "Agent Smith" wrote:
>
> > You issue has nothing to do with Vista or XP. Your problem is the Norton 360
> > software. Norton 360 comes with a firewall built-in. By default, it will
> > block the communication that WIndows File and Printer Sharing uses. This is
> > why the two Vista machines are unable to interact with each other and the XP
> > PCs. Your XP PCs have Norton AV 2007 which does not have a firewall component
> > to it. So no changes are needed on the XP PCs.
> >
> > Here is the step by step to trust your local network on Norton 360.
> > 1.) Open Norton 360.
> > 2.) Click on "Task and Settings"
> > 3.) Click on "Change Advanced Settings"
> > 4.) Click on "Firewall Protection Settings"
> > 5.) Click on "Network Location"
> > 6.) Your should notice your local network is under the "Limited" location,
> > select your network gateway address (your 2Wire's Mac Address) and click the
> > left-arrow button to move it to "Trusted" location.
> > 7.) Click on "Apply"
> > 8.) Click on "Close"
> > 9.) Hopefully enjoy File and Printer Sharing!!
> >
> > "SomeOldGeezer" wrote:
> >
> > > I have a home network consisting of five PCs: three running Windows XP and
> > > two running Vista. All five PCs share a common internet connection (AT&T
> > > U-verse via a 2Wire DSL(?)). All five PCs can see the internet just fine.
> > > However, the three Windows XP PCs can see each other just fine. The two
> > > Windows Vista PCs can't see anyone else on the network, including each other.
> > >
> > > Additional configuration information: The three Windows XP PCs are running
> > > Norton AntiVirus 2007 (fully upgraded). The two Vista PCs are running Norton
> > > 360.
> > >
> > > What I have tried so far:
> > >
> > > + I changed the workgroup name to a common name.
> > >
> > > + I downloaded and installed the network mapping upgrade for Windows XP on
> > > one PC to see if I could get it to work.
> > >
> > > + I have searched the Microsoft web site for instructions and attempted to
> > > execute them to the best of my ability, including changing work group names,
> > > setting private network, OS updates, etc.
> > >
> > > Thus far, each Vista PC has seen the rest of the PCs on the network exactly
> > > one time and have never seen them again. I have spent over two weeks trying
> > > to solve this problem with no luck. There are resources I need to be able to
> > > share, like printers, etc., across this network and am unable to do so.
> > >
> > > It seems ironic to me that such an allegedly sophisticated and
> > > "user-friendly" OS can't be made to do what it would have taken me less than
> > > five minutes to configure in Windows XP.
> > >
> > > I know this is probably a simple problem, but I am really stumped on this one.

Agent Smith

RE: Vista cannot see XP PCs on the same network
Okay, let me know how it goes. If it doesn't help, let me know and we can go
from there.

Also, Symantec's website does have information on how to configure the
Norton 360 firewall. It's in the Technical Support Knowledgebase. Ihave a
link for you incase you need to refrence to it:
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...hm&lg=en&ct=us

If this doesn't work can you try a few things for me? This will help me
better understand what could be the cause and solution to your issue. So be
very detailed and include any error messages you get. Again, this is if
configuring Norton 360 doesn't work out.

1.) Can you PING by IP? (XP to Vista, Vista to XP, and Vista to Vista)
2.) Can you PING by computer name? (XP to Vista, Vista to XP, and Vista to
Vista)
3.) What happens if you try to manually connect to the XP and/or Vista PCs
from Start Search? (Use the UNC path to try this. So type "\\ComputerName\"
in the Start Search bar and hit enter.)
4.) What exactly are all of you Network and Sharing Center settings set to?

Again, I hope this all works out for you.

-Alex

"SomeOldGeezer" wrote:

> I don't know for certain yet; I am at work and won't be able to try it until
> I get home tonight. However, I had a suspicion that Norton 360 might be
> involved (and, of course, I couldn't find any information on their website).
> But this is the best answer I've seen on a couple of different forums that I
> haven't tried yet, so I am optimistic that this will work.
>
> "Agent Smith" wrote:
>
> > So this worked for you? Just wanted to make sure.
> >
> > "Agent Smith" wrote:
> >
> > > You issue has nothing to do with Vista or XP. Your problem is the Norton 360
> > > software. Norton 360 comes with a firewall built-in. By default, it will
> > > block the communication that WIndows File and Printer Sharing uses. This is
> > > why the two Vista machines are unable to interact with each other and the XP
> > > PCs. Your XP PCs have Norton AV 2007 which does not have a firewall component
> > > to it. So no changes are needed on the XP PCs.
> > >
> > > Here is the step by step to trust your local network on Norton 360.
> > > 1.) Open Norton 360.
> > > 2.) Click on "Task and Settings"
> > > 3.) Click on "Change Advanced Settings"
> > > 4.) Click on "Firewall Protection Settings"
> > > 5.) Click on "Network Location"
> > > 6.) Your should notice your local network is under the "Limited" location,
> > > select your network gateway address (your 2Wire's Mac Address) and click the
> > > left-arrow button to move it to "Trusted" location.
> > > 7.) Click on "Apply"
> > > 8.) Click on "Close"
> > > 9.) Hopefully enjoy File and Printer Sharing!!

Mick Murphy

RE: Vista cannot see XP PCs on the same network

How to give Permissions are there, too.

If you are running Norton, Trend Micro, McAfee, etc’s Firewall, check its
settings to make sure it allows file and printer sharing..

the SAME.

In Vista Network and Sharing:

File Sharing: ON

Docs)

from an XP computer.

"SomeOldGeezer" wrote:

> I have a home network consisting of five PCs: three running Windows XP and
> two running Vista. All five PCs share a common internet connection (AT&T
> U-verse via a 2Wire DSL(?)). All five PCs can see the internet just fine.
> However, the three Windows XP PCs can see each other just fine. The two
> Windows Vista PCs can't see anyone else on the network, including each other.
>
> Additional configuration information: The three Windows XP PCs are running
> Norton AntiVirus 2007 (fully upgraded). The two Vista PCs are running Norton
> 360.
>
> What I have tried so far:
>
> + I changed the workgroup name to a common name.
>
> + I downloaded and installed the network mapping upgrade for Windows XP on
> one PC to see if I could get it to work.
>
> + I have searched the Microsoft web site for instructions and attempted to
> execute them to the best of my ability, including changing work group names,
> setting private network, OS updates, etc.
>
> Thus far, each Vista PC has seen the rest of the PCs on the network exactly
> one time and have never seen them again. I have spent over two weeks trying
> to solve this problem with no luck. There are resources I need to be able to
> share, like printers, etc., across this network and am unable to do so.
>
> It seems ironic to me that such an allegedly sophisticated and
> "user-friendly" OS can't be made to do what it would have taken me less than
> five minutes to configure in Windows XP.
>
> I know this is probably a simple problem, but I am really stumped on this one.

SomeOldGeezer

RE: Vista cannot see XP PCs on the same network
Here is an update on what I tried last night. I looked up the Microsoft
article on their website on how to configure Vista for use on a private LAN
and followed the instructions. No success. I followed the instructions
given here to make sure that Norton 360 recognized my MAC address (?) as
"trusted". No success. I tried pinging one of the Windows XP machines via
name and IP address. No success.

I uninstalled Norton 360 and made sure the Windows firewall was disabled on
Vista, but still no success. I can't ping the XP machines or anything,
though the IP addresses all match what I except. I reinstalled Norton 360
and let it configure itself and it immediately recognized the MAC address as
"trusted".

I happened to recall that this worked at one time, but it took me a moment
to remember when and what changed. Fomerly, I was using Verizon Wireless
broadband as my internet service. I was running Verizon on a laptop and
using an "old style" internet connection through the laptop. Shortly after
the getting the Vista machines (which could do file and printer sharing on
that network at that time), I got AT&T's new U-verse cable TV and broadband
internet service (very nice stuff, by the way). Since then, my Vista PCs
cannot see the other PCs, so I am guessing that there is something odd going
on with the 2Wire box.

So, as far as I can tell the problem is not in Vista or Norton (which makes
sense; both have been doing this for years now). I will approach the problem
from this new direction now and will post back if I find out anything since
it is likely that others will experience this same problem in the future.