passphrase or security key

smeg ed

passphrase or security key
Hi There Everyone

I am new at this so not got a clue what i'm doing, trying to get my laptop
wireless to belkin router, it is working fine when wire, but it keeps asking
for a passphrase or security key, what is this and where do i get it from? If
anyone can help please give me a step by step guide before i drop kick it out
the window.

thanks
Dustin Harper

Re: passphrase or security key
When you (or someone else) set up your router, they enabled wireless
security. Your passkey is the phrase that was entered then. You can change
this by logging into your router and changing (or it may be in plain text)
the passphrase in the security section.

--
Dustin Harper
dharper@vistarip.com

"smeg ed" <smeged@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news9FC6560-2B71-45EC-B2B5-D4E70B4377BD@microsoft.com...
> Hi There Everyone
>
> I am new at this so not got a clue what i'm doing, trying to get my laptop
> wireless to belkin router, it is working fine when wire, but it keeps
> asking
> for a passphrase or security key, what is this and where do i get it from?
> If
> anyone can help please give me a step by step guide before i drop kick it
> out
> the window.
>
> thanks

Kym

Re: passphrase or security key
You will need to Log into your belkin router by using the wire.
You will need to edit your wireless settings on the router before you can
use wireless network.

If you have a manual for the Belkin router this should help guide you. If
not go to the Belkin website.

Briefly what you have to do is on the router select a SSID which is
basically a name for you wireless network, you will then need to select the
security you want to use for the wireless, I suggest WPA2. You will then
have to select a Passphrase (basically like a password) which can be a
simple phrase.

Then on the laptop you will have to go to the wireless device settings and
enter in the security type which is WPA2 then for the network security key
put in the passphrase you used when setting up the router.

I hope this helps