Can't see other computers

Rob D

Can't see other computers
Sorry if this is answered somewhere else....
My vista laptop can't seem to see other my other xp pro desktop pc. The
laptop is wireless, it does connect to the internet fine. I've disabled
firewalls on both pc's, installed the LLTD on the xp desktop, network
discovery/file sharing/public folder sharing/media sharing all "on" on the
vista laptop and network is set to private. Workgroup is set to the same
name on both. However, neither pc shows up on the other in "network places",
nor can I ping the other. The only place I have any evidence of my xp
desktop is when I "show full network map" on the vista machine. However,
there it shows my laptop, then my router (with my workgroup name) then
"internet"....all with the ability to click on and have something open up.
Below these is a "switch" (apparently connected to my router) and connected
to it is my desktop. However, neither of these 2 icons can be clicked
on....it's as if they are "greyed out". I don't know what else to
try.......any suggestions? thanks
Chuck [MVP]

Re: Can't see other computers
On Sun, 3 Feb 2008 21:07:00 -0800, Rob D <rob40canada@gmail.com> wrote:

>Sorry if this is answered somewhere else....
>My vista laptop can't seem to see other my other xp pro desktop pc. The
>laptop is wireless, it does connect to the internet fine. I've disabled
>firewalls on both pc's, installed the LLTD on the xp desktop, network
>discovery/file sharing/public folder sharing/media sharing all "on" on the
>vista laptop and network is set to private. Workgroup is set to the same
>name on both. However, neither pc shows up on the other in "network places",
>nor can I ping the other. The only place I have any evidence of my xp
>desktop is when I "show full network map" on the vista machine. However,
>there it shows my laptop, then my router (with my workgroup name) then
>"internet"....all with the ability to click on and have something open up.
>Below these is a "switch" (apparently connected to my router) and connected
>to it is my desktop. However, neither of these 2 icons can be clicked
>on....it's as if they are "greyed out". I don't know what else to
>try.......any suggestions? thanks

Rob,

What anti-virus protection do you use? Look for an anti-worm component that
will block SMBs ("My Network Places") and pings.
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/your-personal-firewall-can-either-help.html>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...ther-help.html

You could maybe diagnose the problem, using logs from "browstat status",
"ipconfig /all", "net config server", and "net config workstation", from each
computer. Read this article, and linked articles, and follow instructions
precisely (Download browstat, and note how to start a command window in Vista!):

Cheers,
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
My email is AT DOT
actual address pchuck mvps org.
Agent Smith

RE: Can't see other computers
Like Chuck has posted, your issue maybe related to your firewall
applications. Simply disabiling them doesn't always stop them from blocking
communication. In fact, most firewall programs continue to block untrested IP
address and untrusted communication even though they are disabled.

Can you post what type of firewall/protection software you have on your
Vista notebook? With this info I can try to help out.

-Alex