Folder share on a user basis

Tony Marcus

Folder share on a user basis
Hello Guy's,

This is my problem, I have 2 Vista computers, one a Desktop and the other a
laptop. I would like to share certain folders on my Desktop with my lap top,
but only when logged on as said User.

If I right click the folder I would like to share on my desktop and click
share it brings me a drop down box to chose who to share with, if I just
click share with out adding users I can see the folder on laptop but not open
it.

If I do the above and add guest it will allow me to open folder as I want to
do but when I do this it shows the folder when I log on to Guest account, I
use the Guest account when my Niece uses PC to stop her deleting and changing
things (she's at that ages :-)). If I add network then I can view and open
folder across any networked PC.

I think I need to add my laptop to the list of people to share with but what
do I type :-

What I want to do is access certain folders on my HOMEBUILD PC with Laptop
when I'm logged on to my account on laptop, when someone else is logged on to
laptop I don't want them to beable to open/modify files.

The Desktop is called HOMEBUILD and my account is Tony
The laptop is called LAPTOP-PC and the account is also Tony
The Workgroup is called WORKGROUP on both PC's

I have tried \HOMEBUILD\Tony , \\HOMEBUILD\Tony, Laptop-PC\Tony and so on
but it says unable to locate.

Does anyone have any idea on what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks

Tony
Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Folder share on a user basis
The security does depend on users not computers. For example, you want to
Tony access folder A and Bob access folder B on a remote computer. The
client computer and remote computer need to have the same username such as
bob and tony. This post may help too.

Vista common issue - can see but ...Vista Permission IssuesVista common
issue - can see but access ... So, the common issues sharing are 1) you may
be able to see it but access. ...
http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...opic.php?t=450

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE