XP and Vista Peer to Peer

PC Medic

XP and Vista Peer to Peer
Had two PC's one has just been upgraded to Vista Ultimate, the other remains
XP Pro.
When I browse the network on either system, they seem themselves but not the
other.

I can ping in either direction OK by IP only (not computer name)
On the Vista system if I select 'Show Full Map' in the network center I can
see the other PC
I can print to the XP's printer from the Vista system (had to map it by IP.

I have tried all the hints and tips I can find and for the life of me am
stumped. I have set up probably 20-30 similar small networks for friends
(though this is a first with Vista) and never had this problem.

Any help appreciated.

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: XP and Vista Peer to Peer
If you can ping IP but not name, it could be the name resolution issue. Make
sure you have enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP. Or this link may help.

Vista Name Resolution IssuesPost Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:15 am Post
subject: Solved: Vista can net view but not browse network ... Perhaps the
NetBIOS over TCP/IP is checked. ...
www.chicagotech.net/vista/vistanameissues.htm

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

"PC Medic" <pcmedic2@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Had two PC's one has just been upgraded to Vista Ultimate, the other
> remains XP Pro.
> When I browse the network on either system, they seem themselves but not
> the other.
>
> I can ping in either direction OK by IP only (not computer name)
> On the Vista system if I select 'Show Full Map' in the network center I
> can see the other PC
> I can print to the XP's printer from the Vista system (had to map it by
> IP.
>
> I have tried all the hints and tips I can find and for the life of me am
> stumped. I have set up probably 20-30 similar small networks for friends
> (though this is a first with Vista) and never had this problem.
>
> Any help appreciated.

Mick Murphy

RE: XP and Vista Peer to Peer

How to give Permissions are there, too.

If you are running Norton, Trend Micro, McAfee, etc’s Firewall, check its
settings to make sure it allows file and printer sharing..

the SAME.

In Vista Network and Sharing:

File Sharing: ON

Docs)

from an XP computer.

"PC Medic" wrote:

> Had two PC's one has just been upgraded to Vista Ultimate, the other remains
> XP Pro.
> When I browse the network on either system, they seem themselves but not the
> other.
>
> I can ping in either direction OK by IP only (not computer name)
> On the Vista system if I select 'Show Full Map' in the network center I can
> see the other PC
> I can print to the XP's printer from the Vista system (had to map it by IP.
>
> I have tried all the hints and tips I can find and for the life of me am
> stumped. I have set up probably 20-30 similar small networks for friends
> (though this is a first with Vista) and never had this problem.
>
> Any help appreciated.

PC Medic

Re: XP and Vista Peer to Peer

"Robert L. (MS-MVP)" <blinNoEmailplease@mvps.org> wrote in message
> If you can ping IP but not name, it could be the name resolution issue.
> Make sure you have enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP. Or this link may help.
>
> Vista Name Resolution IssuesPost Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:15 am Post
> subject: Solved: Vista can net view but not browse network ... Perhaps the
> NetBIOS over TCP/IP is checked. ...
> www.chicagotech.net/vista/vistanameissues.htm

For a little more background (should have put this in my original ost)

My Vista machine can see itself, but not the XP system and the XP system
sees itself, but not the vista system.
NetBIOS over TCP/IP is enabled on both.
They are both connected wirelesss through a Netgear router and both can
access the internet no problem.
I've disabled the firewalls (Windows Firewall) on both pc's. I have
installed the LLTD on the XP system.
I have tried with Network Discovery, File Sharing, Public Folder Sharing and
Media Sharing all set to "on" on the Vista system.(currently I am back to
just Network Discovery, File Sharing as I do not plan on actually sharing
files from the Vista system, only the other way around). Network is set to
'Private'. I have verified both are using the same Workgroup name.
Still neither pc shows up on the other in "network places", but I can ping
either by IP, but not by name and the only place on the Vista system I have
any evidence of my XP machine is when I "View Full Map" and going to
START>RUN> 'XP systems IP Address' will now show the shared folders and
printers on the XP system as well.
Another thing is that when I do View Full Map', it shows my XP system (by
Name), my router (by WorkGroup name) and then
"Internet" accross the top line. The Vista System and "Internet" have the
ability to launch the browser for each by clicking them. In the first column
below my vista system is my XP system (by Name), but I am unable to click to
browse it. (though hovering over it will display (Name, IP and MAC addresses
like the others).

I am running Symantec Antivirus on the Vista system and McAfee on the XP
machine. I know that sometimes disabling is not enough and have even
considered uninstalling (at least temporarily) to see if that help. If it
comes to this can any one suggest which of the two is best to reinstall on
both or a better alternative if there is one. I figure if I have to
reinstall them I may as well put the better one on them.

> --
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>

> "PC Medic" <pcmedic2@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Had two PC's one has just been upgraded to Vista Ultimate, the other
>> remains XP Pro.
>> When I browse the network on either system, they seem themselves but not
>> the other.
>>
>> I can ping in either direction OK by IP only (not computer name)
>> On the Vista system if I select 'Show Full Map' in the network center I
>> can see the other PC
>> I can print to the XP's printer from the Vista system (had to map it by
>> IP.
>>
>> I have tried all the hints and tips I can find and for the life of me am
>> stumped. I have set up probably 20-30 similar small networks for friends
>> (though this is a first with Vista) and never had this problem.
>>
>> Any help appreciated.

roy69

Re: XP and Vista Peer to Peer

I have had the same issue when networking when away from home. I had to
network one of the computers when in peer to peer through ips. It
worked, no matter what I tried I could not get the machines to work in a
normal manner. Both machines were using xp at the time. If your
network works and you are using static ips you have two choices.

A. do not worry about it as your networking is actually working, just
not the way people would like.
B. Turn on DHCP, change the workgroup computers, turn off the firewalls
(Just to get them to talk), try running the home networking wizard.
There are loads of settings that are hidden away. Try looking at the
settings you have for your network device. I had a legacy system
(Static ips), when turned off for my new system the whole network came
to life.

--
roy69

- Core 2 Quad Q6600
- Abit IP35 Pro
- 4 x 1GB OcUK PC2-6400 C5 800 MHZ Dual Channel
- Leadtek GeForce 8800 GTS 640MB GDDR3
- CiBox TFT 22" Widescreen LCD Panel. 1680 x 1050
- Creative X-Fi 7.1 PCI-E
- Antec 900 Ultimate Gaming Case
- Creative Inspire 7.1 T7900 Speakers
- Corsair HX 620W ATX2.2 Modular SLI Complient PSU