modem compatibility

LDL

modem compatibility
How to be sure that my modem (a ESS ES56T-PI Data Fax Modem) is compatible
with Vista. I have already installed Vista Ultimate on my computer. Windows
Vista can't find my modem. If it's not compatible, there is a way to unistall
and sell the liscence to someone else? Or it's a best choice to buy a new
modem?
Dustin Harper

Re: modem compatibility
You can try this driver for Windows XP:
http://www.esstech.com/techsupp/drivers.shtm#comm

It doesn't have a dedicated Vista driver, but you might get lucky.

--
Dustin Harper
dharper@vistarip.com

"LDL" <LDL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> How to be sure that my modem (a ESS ES56T-PI Data Fax Modem) is compatible
> with Vista. I have already installed Vista Ultimate on my computer.
> Windows
> Vista can't find my modem. If it's not compatible, there is a way to
> unistall
> and sell the liscence to someone else? Or it's a best choice to buy a new
> modem?

John Barnett MVP

Re: modem compatibility
If you have Windows Vista Home or premium editions then you will be unable
to Fax (unless you get a third party faxing application) because these two
versions don't come with faxing software. Only Vista business, Enterprise
and Ultimate have faxing capability.

Having said that fax modems aren't all that expensive so you would probably
be better buying a new one that is vista compatible. My machine (which is 3
months old) didn't come with built in fax modem; however, I did have an old
Olitec Universal self memory pro free standing modem hidden away in the
attic. I got that down, plugged it in and, luckily, it still worked. Only
problem it couldn't find the drivers. After searching on the web I located a
driver, but that didn't work either. In desperation I went through my
software CDs and located the old olitec installation disc. Put it into the
CD-ROM and switch the modem on. Vista found the XP drivers and the mode
works just fine. So if your modem came with XP drivers give them a try
before abandoning hope.

--
John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert

Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

reliability or content of this mail/post.