Vista Network problems

blistaonmyvista

Vista Network problems
I bought Vista Ultimate about a year ago and no one has been able to help me
thus far. I have 3 ip's with my cable company and I use a switch to connect
to the internet.
I use one vista machine and 2 XP machines all three connect to the internet
just fine. But I cannot get VISTA to see my 2 XP machines and share files.
My 2 XP machines share files together just fine but my Vista is not showing.

I feel as if I have tested all the known set ups and read the proper help
files but I have no clue how to make this work.
Please do not say use a router I perfer a switch
Thanks for any help
Mick Murphy

RE: Vista Network problems

How to give Permissions are there, too.

If you are running Norton, Trend Micro, McAfee, etc’s Firewall, check its
settings to make sure it allows file and printer sharing..

the SAME.

In Vista Network and Sharing:

File Sharing: ON

Docs)

from an XP computer.

"blistaonmyvista" wrote:

> I bought Vista Ultimate about a year ago and no one has been able to help me
> thus far. I have 3 ip's with my cable company and I use a switch to connect
> to the internet.
> I use one vista machine and 2 XP machines all three connect to the internet
> just fine. But I cannot get VISTA to see my 2 XP machines and share files.
> My 2 XP machines share files together just fine but my Vista is not showing.
>
> I feel as if I have tested all the known set ups and read the proper help
> files but I have no clue how to make this work.
> Please do not say use a router I perfer a switch
> Thanks for any help

tpa

Re: Vista Network problems

Has anyone got a solution to this yet? My network developed the same
problem after installing SP1 on 2 Vista Business machines, prior to that
- no problems. Microsoft patch KB922120 installed on my 3 XP machines
allows all computers to show up on the "Vista full map" within "Network
& Sharing Centre", but not in the "View computers and devices". The XP
ones can't see the Vista ones and the Vista ones can't see any others
and only the Vista one attached to the printer can print. I have been
through many help screens including some that came up in the same search
that lead to this site, turned all the firewalls (AVG & Windows) off,
but all to no avail. All access the internet through a router attached
to a network hub without any problem.

--
tpa
Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Vista Network problems
do you receive any system errors if using net view command?

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net
"tpa" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Has anyone got a solution to this yet? My network developed the same
> problem after installing SP1 on 2 Vista Business machines, prior to that
> - no problems. Microsoft patch KB922120 installed on my 3 XP machines
> allows all computers to show up on the "Vista full map" within "Network
> & Sharing Centre", but not in the "View computers and devices". The XP
> ones can't see the Vista ones and the Vista ones can't see any others
> and only the Vista one attached to the printer can print. I have been
> through many help screens including some that came up in the same search
> that lead to this site, turned all the firewalls (AVG & Windows) off,
> but all to no avail. All access the internet through a router attached
> to a network hub without any problem.
>

> --
> tpa

tpa

Re: Vista Network problems

Thank you for replying. No, no error messages anywhere, just no more
than one computer showing in "view computers & devices". Diagnose &
repair does not throw up anything either.

--
tpa
tpa

Re: Vista Network problems

OK Guys, panic over. Disabling AVG 8.0 firewall on all computers solves
the problem. Had only disabled it on the Vista ones earlier and that did
not work either for the Vista ones or for the XP ones. Seems AVG 8.0
firewall does not allow networking, but Windows firewall seems to be ok.

--
tpa
Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Vista Network problems
Thank you for the update.

--

> OK Guys, panic over. Disabling AVG 8.0 firewall on all computers solves
> the problem. Had only disabled it on the Vista ones earlier and that did
> not work either for the Vista ones or for the XP ones. Seems AVG 8.0
> firewall does not allow networking, but Windows firewall seems to be ok.
>

> --
> tpa

tpa

Re: Vista Network problems

I will post an update when I get a follow up from AVG on the problem.

--
tpa