Vista doesn't recognise my ADSL router anymore

Jason T

Vista doesn't recognise my ADSL router anymore
I am using a D-Link DSL-G604T wireless ADSL router with a Vista Home premium
system on an AMD Athlon 2800+ with 1GB of Memory. Just recently my computer
lost contact with the router (ie. it returns the error message "limited
connectivity" and the network centre doesn't acknowledge any connection with
the internet.) Vista's "Windows Network Diagnostics" attempts to fix it by
one of 2 ways - Auto assign new IP settings, and resetting the network
adaptor, neither of which work. Rebooting the router doen not work either.
Concidently it began around the time I was installing an update on some
software that ended up not installing properly which I subsequently
uninstalled. Hence I believe it may be a software problem. Definitely not
the router as I can still use the router through my notebook. It's not the
ethernet cable running between the router and the desktop as I switched the
cable and that made no difference. I'm thinking it's either the network card
in the desktop failing or a software corruption of some sort but don't know
how to progress the diagnostic further from this point. Can anyone assist??
RalfG

Re: Vista doesn't recognise my ADSL router anymore
Try doing a system restore to a point just before the issue started or
before you installed that problem software.

"Jason T" <Jason T@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am using a D-Link DSL-G604T wireless ADSL router with a Vista Home
>premium
> system on an AMD Athlon 2800+ with 1GB of Memory. Just recently my
> computer
> lost contact with the router (ie. it returns the error message "limited
> connectivity" and the network centre doesn't acknowledge any connection
> with
> the internet.) Vista's "Windows Network Diagnostics" attempts to fix it
> by
> one of 2 ways - Auto assign new IP settings, and resetting the network
> adaptor, neither of which work. Rebooting the router doen not work
> either.
> Concidently it began around the time I was installing an update on some
> software that ended up not installing properly which I subsequently
> uninstalled. Hence I believe it may be a software problem. Definitely
> not
> the router as I can still use the router through my notebook. It's not
> the
> ethernet cable running between the router and the desktop as I switched
> the
> cable and that made no difference. I'm thinking it's either the network
> card
> in the desktop failing or a software corruption of some sort but don't
> know
> how to progress the diagnostic further from this point. Can anyone
> assist??

Jason T

Re: Vista doesn't recognise my ADSL router anymore
Just tried a restore and it doesn't seem to have made any difference.

Is there a way I can test the network adaptor in my desktop to see whether
it has any problems?