Password - Now I can't share

Domenick

Password - Now I can't share
OK. I've got a PC running XP Pro. My printer is hooked up to it via USB. I've
been connecting to the PC's folders and printing to the printer from my
notebook running Vista Ultimate for the past 9 months.

I finally got tired of my cat waliking on the notebook's keyboard and
messing things up, do I put a password on my User Name on the notebook. Now,
I can't connect to the PC to share folders or print to the printer. I went to
the PC and tried to mess with the security, but my notebook's name is not in
the "Locations" and there does not seem to be a way to add it.

I took the password off my Notebook user name and now I can share folders
and print again. I'd really like to put the passord back on.

Any help would be appreciated.

Malke

Re: Password - Now I can't share
Domenick wrote:
> OK. I've got a PC running XP Pro. My printer is hooked up to it via USB. I've
> been connecting to the PC's folders and printing to the printer from my
> notebook running Vista Ultimate for the past 9 months.
>
> I finally got tired of my cat waliking on the notebook's keyboard and
> messing things up, do I put a password on my User Name on the notebook. Now,
> I can't connect to the PC to share folders or print to the printer. I went to
> the PC and tried to mess with the security, but my notebook's name is not in
> the "Locations" and there does not seem to be a way to add it.
>
> I took the password off my Notebook user name and now I can share folders
> and print again. I'd really like to put the passord back on.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.

I'm not really sure how setting a password will keep your cat out but I
suppose it could work if you don't tell the cat what the password is.

If you want to use passwords (a good idea in any case), simply create
matching user accounts and passwords on all machines. You do not need to
be logged into the same account on all machines and the passwords
assigned to each user account can be different; the accounts/passwords
just need to exist and match on all machines. If you wish a machine to
boot directly to the Desktop (into one particular user's account) for
convenience, you can do this. The instructions at this link work for
both XP and Vista:

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/Autologon.htm

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
Domenick

Re: Password - Now I can't share
Thanks! I just added the same password to the same user name on the other PC
and now I can connect again. I am more used to security in a business
environment where I would just need to grant permissions to the Computer
and/or User. I guess it is different in a home network since I can't use
domains (some pc's are running XP Home).

Now when I walk away from my notebook, I can just go into "Lock This
Computer" and this keeps my cat from messing anything up when she walks on
the keyboard!

Thanks for your help!

-Dom

"Malke" wrote:

> Domenick wrote:
> > OK. I've got a PC running XP Pro. My printer is hooked up to it via USB. I've
> > been connecting to the PC's folders and printing to the printer from my
> > notebook running Vista Ultimate for the past 9 months.
> >
> > I finally got tired of my cat waliking on the notebook's keyboard and
> > messing things up, do I put a password on my User Name on the notebook. Now,
> > I can't connect to the PC to share folders or print to the printer. I went to
> > the PC and tried to mess with the security, but my notebook's name is not in
> > the "Locations" and there does not seem to be a way to add it.
> >
> > I took the password off my Notebook user name and now I can share folders
> > and print again. I'd really like to put the passord back on.
> >
> > Any help would be appreciated.
> >

> I'm not really sure how setting a password will keep your cat out but I
> suppose it could work if you don't tell the cat what the password is.
>
> If you want to use passwords (a good idea in any case), simply create
> matching user accounts and passwords on all machines. You do not need to
> be logged into the same account on all machines and the passwords
> assigned to each user account can be different; the accounts/passwords
> just need to exist and match on all machines. If you wish a machine to
> boot directly to the Desktop (into one particular user's account) for
> convenience, you can do this. The instructions at this link work for
> both XP and Vista:
>
> Configure Windows to Automatically Login (MVP Ramesh) -
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/Autologon.htm
>

> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP

Malke

Re: Password - Now I can't share
Domenick wrote:
> Thanks! I just added the same password to the same user name on the other PC
> and now I can connect again. I am more used to security in a business
> environment where I would just need to grant permissions to the Computer
> and/or User. I guess it is different in a home network since I can't use
> domains (some pc's are running XP Home).
>
> Now when I walk away from my notebook, I can just go into "Lock This
> Computer" and this keeps my cat from messing anything up when she walks on
> the keyboard!
>
> Thanks for your help!

You're very welcome.

She probably knows your password anyway. Watch out for cat toy purchases
from Amazon. ;-)

Malke