Network between 2 Vista computers

=?Utf-8?B?Q2I=?=

Network between 2 Vista computers
Hi.

I have 2 comouters with Windows Vista Business installed (comp1 and comp2).
Comp1 has two ethernet boards: One of them receives Internet (ADSL), and the
other should supply Internet to comp2. However, that doesn't happen.

I've shared the connection of the ethernet board that links the 2 computers:
Comp1 has the static IP 192.168.0.1, and
Comp2 has the static IP 192.168.0.2 and as gateway and DNS server the IP
from comp1 (192.168.0.1).

I have a printer and some folders shared, so the connection is working fine,
so WHY doesn't comp2 have Internet?

Somebody please, HELP!

Thanks
Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: Network between 2 Vista computers
can you ping a public IP? If not, try to setup using DHCP on the computer2 instaed of static IP.

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
"Cb" <Cb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:96520A61-E52F-4D22-88FB-79E512934380@microsoft.com...
Hi.

I have 2 comouters with Windows Vista Business installed (comp1 and comp2).
Comp1 has two ethernet boards: One of them receives Internet (ADSL), and the
other should supply Internet to comp2. However, that doesn't happen.

I've shared the connection of the ethernet board that links the 2 computers:
Comp1 has the static IP 192.168.0.1, and
Comp2 has the static IP 192.168.0.2 and as gateway and DNS server the IP
from comp1 (192.168.0.1).

I have a printer and some folders shared, so the connection is working fine,
so WHY doesn't comp2 have Internet?

Somebody please, HELP!

Thanks
=?Utf-8?B?Q2I=?=

Re: Network between 2 Vista computers
No, my computer does not ping public IPs, and I can't use DHCP because I
don't have a router.

Why doesn' t it work just by giving them static IPs, setting the gateway and
DNS server to one of the computers, and setting their network as Private in
both computers? Windows Vista doesn't even let me set the network as Private,
as soon as I reboot it sets them back to public!!!

"Robert L [MVP - Networking]" wrote:

> can you ping a public IP? If not, try to setup using DHCP on the computer2 instaed of static IP.
>
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> "Cb" <Cb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:96520A61-E52F-4D22-88FB-79E512934380@microsoft.com...
> Hi.
>
> I have 2 comouters with Windows Vista Business installed (comp1 and comp2).
> Comp1 has two ethernet boards: One of them receives Internet (ADSL), and the
> other should supply Internet to comp2. However, that doesn't happen.
>
> I've shared the connection of the ethernet board that links the 2 computers:
> Comp1 has the static IP 192.168.0.1, and
> Comp2 has the static IP 192.168.0.2 and as gateway and DNS server the IP
> from comp1 (192.168.0.1).
>
> I have a printer and some folders shared, so the connection is working fine,
> so WHY doesn't comp2 have Internet?
>
> Somebody please, HELP!
>
> Thanks

Jeffrey Giampetro

Re: Network between 2 Vista computers
try a different network card your network card may not be compatible with
vista

"Cb" <Cb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi.
>
> I have 2 comouters with Windows Vista Business installed (comp1 and
> comp2).
> Comp1 has two ethernet boards: One of them receives Internet (ADSL), and
> the
> other should supply Internet to comp2. However, that doesn't happen.
>
> I've shared the connection of the ethernet board that links the 2
> computers:
> Comp1 has the static IP 192.168.0.1, and
> Comp2 has the static IP 192.168.0.2 and as gateway and DNS server the IP
> from comp1 (192.168.0.1).
>
> I have a printer and some folders shared, so the connection is working
> fine,
> so WHY doesn't comp2 have Internet?
>
> Somebody please, HELP!
>
> Thanks

Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: Network between 2 Vista computers
Assuming you setup ICS, the ICS host is the DHCP server and should assign IP to the client.

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
"Cb" <Cb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:55F1C1B4-5DC2-4D3D-A0FB-F754D247230F@microsoft.com...
No, my computer does not ping public IPs, and I can't use DHCP because I
don't have a router.

Why doesn' t it work just by giving them static IPs, setting the gateway and
DNS server to one of the computers, and setting their network as Private in
both computers? Windows Vista doesn't even let me set the network as Private,
as soon as I reboot it sets them back to public!!!

"Robert L [MVP - Networking]" wrote:

> can you ping a public IP? If not, try to setup using DHCP on the computer2 instaed of static IP.
>
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> "Cb" <Cb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:96520A61-E52F-4D22-88FB-79E512934380@microsoft.com...
> Hi.
>
> I have 2 comouters with Windows Vista Business installed (comp1 and comp2).
> Comp1 has two ethernet boards: One of them receives Internet (ADSL), and the
> other should supply Internet to comp2. However, that doesn't happen.
>
> I've shared the connection of the ethernet board that links the 2 computers:
> Comp1 has the static IP 192.168.0.1, and
> Comp2 has the static IP 192.168.0.2 and as gateway and DNS server the IP
> from comp1 (192.168.0.1).
>
> I have a printer and some folders shared, so the connection is working fine,
> so WHY doesn't comp2 have Internet?
>
> Somebody please, HELP!
>
> Thanks

=?Utf-8?B?Q2I=?=

RE: Network between 2 Vista computers
I found the answer myself, HERE IT IS for all of you that are trying to
connect 2 VISTA computers and share Internet:

Comp1 (connected to modem): Automatically obtain IP and DNS addresses. ALSO,
in "Alternative configuration" (the next tab), set the IP to 192.168.0.1

Comp2 (connected to Comp1 through Ethernet): Static IP address=192.168.0.2,
Gateway=192.168.0.1, DNS Server=192.168.0.1.

In both computers, in the Network and Sharing Center, set the Network as
Private, and set the network names to be the same.

That's it!

"Cb" wrote:

> Hi.
>
> I have 2 comouters with Windows Vista Business installed (comp1 and comp2).
> Comp1 has two ethernet boards: One of them receives Internet (ADSL), and the
> other should supply Internet to comp2. However, that doesn't happen.
>
> I've shared the connection of the ethernet board that links the 2 computers:
> Comp1 has the static IP 192.168.0.1, and
> Comp2 has the static IP 192.168.0.2 and as gateway and DNS server the IP
> from comp1 (192.168.0.1).
>
> I have a printer and some folders shared, so the connection is working fine,
> so WHY doesn't comp2 have Internet?
>
> Somebody please, HELP!
>
> Thanks

Michael A. Bishop \(MSFT\)

Re: Network between 2 Vista computers
Sorry for going back to basics, but have you shared the external internet
connection on Comp1? Go to Network & Sharing Center > Manage Network
Connections, right-click the external connection, and choose Share....

"Cb" <Cb@discussions.microsoft.com> a écrit dans le message de
> Hi.
>
> I have 2 comouters with Windows Vista Business installed (comp1 and
> comp2).
> Comp1 has two ethernet boards: One of them receives Internet (ADSL), and
> the
> other should supply Internet to comp2. However, that doesn't happen.
>
> I've shared the connection of the ethernet board that links the 2
> computers:
> Comp1 has the static IP 192.168.0.1, and
> Comp2 has the static IP 192.168.0.2 and as gateway and DNS server the IP
> from comp1 (192.168.0.1).
>
> I have a printer and some folders shared, so the connection is working
> fine,
> so WHY doesn't comp2 have Internet?
>
> Somebody please, HELP!
>
> Thanks

=?Utf-8?B?RG91Zw==?=

RE: Network between 2 Vista computers
How do you set a network as "Private"? And what is a "Private" network?
--
Doug

"Cb" wrote:

> I found the answer myself, HERE IT IS for all of you that are trying to
> connect 2 VISTA computers and share Internet:
>
> Comp1 (connected to modem): Automatically obtain IP and DNS addresses. ALSO,
> in "Alternative configuration" (the next tab), set the IP to 192.168.0.1
>
> Comp2 (connected to Comp1 through Ethernet): Static IP address=192.168.0.2,
> Gateway=192.168.0.1, DNS Server=192.168.0.1.
>
> In both computers, in the Network and Sharing Center, set the Network as
> Private, and set the network names to be the same.
>
> That's it!
>
> "Cb" wrote:
>
> > Hi.
> >
> > I have 2 comouters with Windows Vista Business installed (comp1 and comp2).
> > Comp1 has two ethernet boards: One of them receives Internet (ADSL), and the
> > other should supply Internet to comp2. However, that doesn't happen.
> >
> > I've shared the connection of the ethernet board that links the 2 computers:
> > Comp1 has the static IP 192.168.0.1, and
> > Comp2 has the static IP 192.168.0.2 and as gateway and DNS server the IP
> > from comp1 (192.168.0.1).
> >
> > I have a printer and some folders shared, so the connection is working fine,
> > so WHY doesn't comp2 have Internet?
> >
> > Somebody please, HELP!
> >
> > Thanks

Eric Cross [MVP]

Re: Network between 2 Vista computers
Hello Doug, you can easily set the network as "Private" by following this
page.

Eric Cross
Microsoft MVP (Windows Networking)
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com