Can't turn off Password protected sharing in Vista Business x64

=?Utf-8?B?SGFycnk=?=

Can't turn off Password protected sharing in Vista Business x64
I have a desktop I just upgraded to Vista Business x64, from XP Pro x64. I
am setting up a home network and I am trying to connect, with out passwords,
to my XP Home laptop via Public Folder Sharing and Printer sharing. The
Destop is wired to my Linksys wireless AP and the Laptop is connected
wirelessly. The connection is just fine, they can see each other, but it
requires passwrds eventhough the setting is off.

My Network and Sharing Setting are:
Private Network (Group name matches the laptop and Desktop Group names)
Nework Discovery: On
File Sharing: On
Public Folder Sharing: On
Printer Sharing: Off
Password Protected Sharing: Off
Media Sharing: OFF

My System Settings:
Group Name matches the Network and Sharing Group Name (Found out the hardway
these are not wired together and may accidently be set differently, seems a
bug to me, also if I use the Join Network Wizard and choose Home Network it
autmatically changes the Group Name to WORKGROUP, what a pain).

Is there a way to actually have the Public Folder and Printer shared on my
private Workgroup without having to use password? The settings and help
files I have searched seem to suggest this is so, but I have not been able to
make it so on my Network. Micrsoft security has always meen way to
difficult, to the point where the only way to have a uswable system ins to
disable security. This will have to be my next solution if someone can't
help me here.

Thanks fdor your assistance,

Harry

=?Utf-8?B?SGFycnk=?=

RE: Can't turn off Password protected sharing in Vista Business x64
Typo: Printer Sharing: On

"Harry" wrote:

> I have a desktop I just upgraded to Vista Business x64, from XP Pro x64. I
> am setting up a home network and I am trying to connect, with out passwords,
> to my XP Home laptop via Public Folder Sharing and Printer sharing. The
> Destop is wired to my Linksys wireless AP and the Laptop is connected
> wirelessly. The connection is just fine, they can see each other, but it
> requires passwrds eventhough the setting is off.
>
> My Network and Sharing Setting are:
> Private Network (Group name matches the laptop and Desktop Group names)
> Nework Discovery: On
> File Sharing: On
> Public Folder Sharing: On
> Printer Sharing: Off
> Password Protected Sharing: Off
> Media Sharing: OFF
>
> My System Settings:
> Group Name matches the Network and Sharing Group Name (Found out the hardway
> these are not wired together and may accidently be set differently, seems a
> bug to me, also if I use the Join Network Wizard and choose Home Network it
> autmatically changes the Group Name to WORKGROUP, what a pain).
>
> Is there a way to actually have the Public Folder and Printer shared on my
> private Workgroup without having to use password? The settings and help
> files I have searched seem to suggest this is so, but I have not been able to
> make it so on my Network. Micrsoft security has always meen way to
> difficult, to the point where the only way to have a uswable system ins to
> disable security. This will have to be my next solution if someone can't
> help me here.
>
> Thanks fdor your assistance,
>
> Harry

=?Utf-8?B?SGFycnk=?=

Solved! RE:Can't turn off Password protected sharing in Vista Buis
Just figured it out, no thanks to any documentation anywhere. I was using
the same usernames on the XP laptop and Vista Desktop. Windows, for some
strange reason, wanted to athenticate as the local desktop user with the same
username. This seems strange to me when I specify no password required it
should be for all network users not just network users with usenames
different from local usernames. Any way when I changed a local secuurity
policy to Local Users Authenticate as Guest, it stopped asking for passwords.
I hope this doesent casue problems later on.

"Harry" wrote:

> I have a desktop I just upgraded to Vista Business x64, from XP Pro x64. I
> am setting up a home network and I am trying to connect, with out passwords,
> to my XP Home laptop via Public Folder Sharing and Printer sharing. The
> Destop is wired to my Linksys wireless AP and the Laptop is connected
> wirelessly. The connection is just fine, they can see each other, but it
> requires passwrds eventhough the setting is off.
>
> My Network and Sharing Setting are:
> Private Network (Group name matches the laptop and Desktop Group names)
> Nework Discovery: On
> File Sharing: On
> Public Folder Sharing: On
> Printer Sharing: Off
> Password Protected Sharing: Off
> Media Sharing: OFF
>
> My System Settings:
> Group Name matches the Network and Sharing Group Name (Found out the hardway
> these are not wired together and may accidently be set differently, seems a
> bug to me, also if I use the Join Network Wizard and choose Home Network it
> autmatically changes the Group Name to WORKGROUP, what a pain).
>
> Is there a way to actually have the Public Folder and Printer shared on my
> private Workgroup without having to use password? The settings and help
> files I have searched seem to suggest this is so, but I have not been able to
> make it so on my Network. Micrsoft security has always meen way to
> difficult, to the point where the only way to have a uswable system ins to
> disable security. This will have to be my next solution if someone can't
> help me here.
>
> Thanks fdor your assistance,
>
> Harry

Andy

RE: Solved! RE:Can't turn off Password protected sharing in Vista Buis
How and where did you change this policy? I could not find it?