Vista Laptop cannot ping XP Desktop while sharing...

mugentuner

Vista Laptop cannot ping XP Desktop while sharing...
I cannot ping my xp desktop from my Vista laptop when doing basic
connectivity checks. I have shared out my printer attached to the Xp desktop
running home edition and want to print on the Vista laptop running home
premium. They are both on the same workgroup. I can even ping the Vista
Laptop from XP pc, but cannot ping the XP pc from the Vista laptop. I even
disabled all windows firewall, Norton on the xp pc as well as mcafee on the
vista to no avail. I think that by the laptop not seeing the Xp pc, it is
impossible to see the shared printer from XP on the Vista laptop. How can I
get Vista to make the connection and see the XP pc? Thanks
Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Vista Laptop cannot ping XP Desktop while sharing...
If you restart the safe mode with network on the XP, can you ping it?

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

"mugentuner" <mugentuner@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I cannot ping my xp desktop from my Vista laptop when doing basic
> connectivity checks. I have shared out my printer attached to the Xp
> desktop
> running home edition and want to print on the Vista laptop running home
> premium. They are both on the same workgroup. I can even ping the Vista
> Laptop from XP pc, but cannot ping the XP pc from the Vista laptop. I
> even
> disabled all windows firewall, Norton on the xp pc as well as mcafee on
> the
> vista to no avail. I think that by the laptop not seeing the Xp pc, it is
> impossible to see the shared printer from XP on the Vista laptop. How can
> get Vista to make the connection and see the XP pc? Thanks

mugentuner

Re: Vista Laptop cannot ping XP Desktop while sharing...
Thanks Robert. I'll try this as well as some other tips i found on the site.
This site is a godsend. Also, i'll give you feedback on what i find out.

"Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> If you restart the safe mode with network on the XP, can you ping it?
>
> --
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>

> "mugentuner" <mugentuner@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I cannot ping my xp desktop from my Vista laptop when doing basic
> > connectivity checks. I have shared out my printer attached to the Xp
> > desktop
> > running home edition and want to print on the Vista laptop running home
> > premium. They are both on the same workgroup. I can even ping the Vista
> > Laptop from XP pc, but cannot ping the XP pc from the Vista laptop. I
> > even
> > disabled all windows firewall, Norton on the xp pc as well as mcafee on
> > the
> > vista to no avail. I think that by the laptop not seeing the Xp pc, it is
> > impossible to see the shared printer from XP on the Vista laptop. How can
> > get Vista to make the connection and see the XP pc? Thanks

mugentuner

Re: Vista Laptop cannot ping XP Desktop while sharing...
Yes Robert I can ping the XP desktop with restarting in safe mode. What
next? Thanks

"Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> If you restart the safe mode with network on the XP, can you ping it?
>
> --
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>

> "mugentuner" <mugentuner@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I cannot ping my xp desktop from my Vista laptop when doing basic
> > connectivity checks. I have shared out my printer attached to the Xp
> > desktop
> > running home edition and want to print on the Vista laptop running home
> > premium. They are both on the same workgroup. I can even ping the Vista
> > Laptop from XP pc, but cannot ping the XP pc from the Vista laptop. I
> > even
> > disabled all windows firewall, Norton on the xp pc as well as mcafee on
> > the
> > vista to no avail. I think that by the laptop not seeing the Xp pc, it is
> > impossible to see the shared printer from XP on the Vista laptop. How can
> > get Vista to make the connection and see the XP pc? Thanks

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Vista Laptop cannot ping XP Desktop while sharing...
It seesm to me a security software blocks the ping. To find out it is
windows firewall or 3rd party software, try to start the computer with clean
boot.

windows faqsHow to run Windows OS with a clean boot How to stop the
Messenger Service ads How to tell who is logged on at a remote computer ...
www.howtonetworking.com/winfaqs.htm

--

> Thanks Robert. I'll try this as well as some other tips i found on the
> site.
> This site is a godsend. Also, i'll give you feedback on what i find out.
>
> "Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
>> If you restart the safe mode with network on the XP, can you ping it?
>>
>> --
>> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
>> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
>> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>>

>> "mugentuner" <mugentuner@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I cannot ping my xp desktop from my Vista laptop when doing basic
>> > connectivity checks. I have shared out my printer attached to the Xp
>> > desktop
>> > running home edition and want to print on the Vista laptop running home
>> > premium. They are both on the same workgroup. I can even ping the
>> > Vista
>> > Laptop from XP pc, but cannot ping the XP pc from the Vista laptop. I
>> > even
>> > disabled all windows firewall, Norton on the xp pc as well as mcafee on
>> > the
>> > vista to no avail. I think that by the laptop not seeing the Xp pc, it
>> > is
>> > impossible to see the shared printer from XP on the Vista laptop. How
>> > can
>> > get Vista to make the connection and see the XP pc? Thanks

mugentuner

Re: Vista Laptop cannot ping XP Desktop while sharing...
Ok Robert that worked. I found that the XP pc was definitely running Norton
Personal Firewall, added the internal IP range and now can ping the desktop
from the vista laptop. Great. I have set all the various settings for
network and sharing on vista laptop and everything is good. However, when I
try to browse for the printer shared out on the xp machine, I cannot see the
XP pc come up or the printer. I have shared the printer out on XP so don't
know why i don't see it.. Do i need to go through a network setup e.t.c. on
the XP pc now as well? Thanks

"Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> It seesm to me a security software blocks the ping. To find out it is
> windows firewall or 3rd party software, try to start the computer with clean
> boot.
>
> windows faqsHow to run Windows OS with a clean boot How to stop the
> Messenger Service ads How to tell who is logged on at a remote computer ...
> www.howtonetworking.com/winfaqs.htm
>

> --
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>

> "mugentuner" <mugentuner@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks Robert. I'll try this as well as some other tips i found on the
> > site.
> > This site is a godsend. Also, i'll give you feedback on what i find out.
> >
> > "Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:
> >
> >> If you restart the safe mode with network on the XP, can you ping it?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> >> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> >> http://www.HowToNetworking.com

mugentuner

Re: Vista Laptop cannot ping XP Desktop while sharing...
Hey guys,

Got this thing working fine now. Followed the various network and sharing
settings for Vista, relaxed firewall settings for my Lan IP's on network,
added a local printer port on Vista pc with UNC Pc name and share of XP Pc,
adding LLTD under adapter settings on vista e.t.c. has allowed me to print
from Vista to the XP shared out printer. Hope this post helps someone else as
well.

"Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> It seesm to me a security software blocks the ping. To find out it is
> windows firewall or 3rd party software, try to start the computer with clean
> boot.
>
> windows faqsHow to run Windows OS with a clean boot How to stop the
> Messenger Service ads How to tell who is logged on at a remote computer ...
> www.howtonetworking.com/winfaqs.htm
>

> --
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>

> "mugentuner" <mugentuner@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks Robert. I'll try this as well as some other tips i found on the
> > site.
> > This site is a godsend. Also, i'll give you feedback on what i find out.
> >
> > "Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:
> >
> >> If you restart the safe mode with network on the XP, can you ping it?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> >> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> >> http://www.HowToNetworking.com

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Vista Laptop cannot ping XP Desktop while sharing...
Thank you for the update.