network map on mixed wired and wireless Lan

RalfG

network map on mixed wired and wireless Lan
I'm trying to get Vista Home Premium to show a complete network map and
getting some strange results. The lan consists of one Vista computer (wired
or wireless connection and also tested with both simultaneously) and two XP
Home computers, one wired and one wireless. The XP PC with the wireless
connection is the problem device. The LLTD software has been reinstalled on
it and two different USB WLAN adapters were tried. Security settings used
were WPA and WPA2, with the same results for either.

Scenario 1
When just the Vista PC (wired) and the wired XP PC are connected on the
network the mapping function works normally. As soon as the wireless XP
computer is added the network mapping function fails with an error " An
error happened during the mapping process". Disconnect the wireless computer
and the map works again. This is my default configuration and the one I'd
like to get sorted out. Shouldn't all computers be displayed here regardless
of how they connect to the LAN?

Scenario 2
When the Vista PC is connected to the Lan wirelessly both the XP wired and
wireless computers show up on the network map. Strangely, device properties
are accessible from the various hardware icons on the map except for the
wireless XP Home PC wireless icon which isn't clickable at all.

Scenario 3
When the Vista PC is connected using both the wired and wireless
connections, network mapping pops up a new option allowing me to switch
between the two connections but then it responds in either one of two
ways....

1- A full network map is displayed when the wireless connection is selected,
with all 3 computers showing. When the wired LAN connection is selected
there is no network map. Vista Home Premium detects it as a Domain
connection and displays a message to that effect.

2- No map is created for either the wired or the wireless connections and
both display the same error "An error happened during the mapping
process".

Anyone have an idea about what the problem might be?