Accessing other XP machine and NAS from Vista

ben

Accessing other XP machine and NAS from Vista
I have a problem with new vista machines unable to access existing machines.
I used to have two desktops and a laptop all running XP and a network storage
device. Each machine could share with every other machine and everything was
fine.

One of the desktops and the laptop died, to be replaced by two new laptops
running vista. So I now have:
1 desktop running XP Home SP2
1 laptop running vista home basic
1 laptop running vista home premium
1 QNAP TS-101 NAS
Everything is networked via a Speedtouch router with built in firewall

The desktop can access all machines. The two vista machines can share both
ways between them. However, the vista laptop machines cannot access the
desktop or NAS. They can see the available shares, but when you try and
access anything, you get the following message:

" \\computername is not accessible. You might not have permission
to use the network resource. Contact the administrator of this server
to find out if you have access permissions".

I've trawled through dozens of pages on the internet looking for info. As a
result, here are some of the settings and things I have tried:

firewalls turned off on all machines
all machines have the same workgroup name
file and printer sharing is on everywhere
run the Home Network File sharing Wizard on the XP machine
created a user account on each machine with the same username and password
on the vista machines
network is set to private
network discovery is on
file sharing is on
public folder sharing is on
installed the LLTD Responder software on XP machine
in TCP/IP properties, set always use netbios over tcp/ip and turned off use
lmhosts
RestrictAnonymous Registry entry is 0 on all machines
tried setting LmCompatibilityLevel to 1 on all machines

A subsidiary problem is that when I show the full network on the vista
machines, they see all the machines, but can't place the NAS in the network.

Any suggestions? Thanks for any help.
Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Accessing other XP machine and NAS from Vista
1. Create the username on all 3 computers. hopefully that will fix the
accessing XP issue.

Vista common issue - can see but ...and one xp from the vista however one is
prompting for a user name and ... so that you may want to create same
username and password on the both computers. ...
http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...opic.php?t=450

2. NAS could be the LM Authentication issue. Check this link for more
details.

Vista Permission IssuesVista: Can’t access NAS,MAC, Linux, Samba and Win98 >
http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums/viewforum.php?f=1 > > Bob Lin, MS-MVP,
MCSE & CNE . ...
www.chicagotech.net/vista/vistapermission.htm

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

"ben" <ben@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a problem with new vista machines unable to access existing
>machines.
> I used to have two desktops and a laptop all running XP and a network
> storage
> device. Each machine could share with every other machine and everything
> was
> fine.
>
> One of the desktops and the laptop died, to be replaced by two new laptops
> running vista. So I now have:
> 1 desktop running XP Home SP2
> 1 laptop running vista home basic
> 1 laptop running vista home premium
> 1 QNAP TS-101 NAS
> Everything is networked via a Speedtouch router with built in firewall
>
> The desktop can access all machines. The two vista machines can share
> both
> ways between them. However, the vista laptop machines cannot access the
> desktop or NAS. They can see the available shares, but when you try and
> access anything, you get the following message:
>
> " \\computername is not accessible. You might not have permission
> to use the network resource. Contact the administrator of this server
> to find out if you have access permissions".
>
> I've trawled through dozens of pages on the internet looking for info. As
> result, here are some of the settings and things I have tried:
>
> firewalls turned off on all machines
> all machines have the same workgroup name
> file and printer sharing is on everywhere
> run the Home Network File sharing Wizard on the XP machine
> created a user account on each machine with the same username and password
> on the vista machines
> network is set to private
> network discovery is on
> file sharing is on
> public folder sharing is on
> installed the LLTD Responder software on XP machine
> in TCP/IP properties, set always use netbios over tcp/ip and turned off
> use
> lmhosts
> RestrictAnonymous Registry entry is 0 on all machines
> tried setting LmCompatibilityLevel to 1 on all machines
>
> A subsidiary problem is that when I show the full network on the vista
> machines, they see all the machines, but can't place the NAS in the
> network.
>
> Any suggestions? Thanks for any help.

Chuck [MVP]

On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 06:01:03 -0800, ben <ben@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have a problem with new vista machines unable to access existing machines.
>I used to have two desktops and a laptop all running XP and a network storage
>device. Each machine could share with every other machine and everything was
>fine.
>
>One of the desktops and the laptop died, to be replaced by two new laptops
>running vista. So I now have:
>1 desktop running XP Home SP2
>1 laptop running vista home basic
>1 laptop running vista home premium
>1 QNAP TS-101 NAS
>Everything is networked via a Speedtouch router with built in firewall
>
>The desktop can access all machines. The two vista machines can share both
>ways between them. However, the vista laptop machines cannot access the
>desktop or NAS. They can see the available shares, but when you try and
>access anything, you get the following message:
>
>" \\computername is not accessible. You might not have permission
>to use the network resource. Contact the administrator of this server
>to find out if you have access permissions".
>
>I've trawled through dozens of pages on the internet looking for info. As a
>result, here are some of the settings and things I have tried:
>
>firewalls turned off on all machines
>all machines have the same workgroup name
>file and printer sharing is on everywhere
>run the Home Network File sharing Wizard on the XP machine
>created a user account on each machine with the same username and password
>on the vista machines
> network is set to private
> network discovery is on
> file sharing is on
> public folder sharing is on
>installed the LLTD Responder software on XP machine
>in TCP/IP properties, set always use netbios over tcp/ip and turned off use
>lmhosts
>RestrictAnonymous Registry entry is 0 on all machines
>tried setting LmCompatibilityLevel to 1 on all machines
>
>A subsidiary problem is that when I show the full network on the vista
>machines, they see all the machines, but can't place the NAS in the network.
>
>Any suggestions? Thanks for any help.

Ben,

The desktop computer, running XP Home, will have Guest access only. Make sure
that Guest is properly activated.
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/06/file-sharing-under-windows-xp.html#Guest>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...-xp.html#Guest

If you trust all users of each computer equally (or if you're the only user)
then disabling Password Protected Sharing (Vista) or enabling Simple File
Sharing (XP), then enabling Guest on all computers, is the reliable and simple
way to setup your LAN.
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/06/file-sharing-under-windows-xp.html#Simple>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...xp.html#Simple

If you're having problems accessing a NAS from Vista, that may be an
authentication protocol problem. Vista only uses NTLM V2; XP would use NTLM V1
or V2, as required.
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2007/05/microsoft-windows-and-authentication.html>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2007/0...ntication.html

--
Cheers,
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
ben

Re: Accessing other XP machine and NAS from Vista

Thanks for the response, Robert.

1. I have already, created the same username and password on both the Vista
and Xp machines, but this doesn't work I'm afraid.

2. I've already tried setting the LmCompatibilityLevel to 1, but again,
this hasn't worked.
ben

Re: Accessing other XP machine and NAS from Vista

Thanks for the response, Chuck.

I've tried activating the Guest account as you suggest. Unfortunately, this
hasn't helped. Incidentally, in your instructions, you show the use of a -g
option with the ntrights utility which gave an error. I assume that -u
should be used, which then refers to either a user or group, whichever the
specified name happens to be.

I could try the simple password disabling route if you think it might work,
but it's not ideal.

As I've already said, I've already tried setting the LmCompatibilityLevel to
1 and it hasn't worked.
Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Accessing other XP machine and NAS from Vista
Also check the permission in the Security tab. If you have XP home, you may
want to disable simple file sharing. This how to talk about how to share
file on Vista, but it is the same idea.

How to share files or a folder on Windows Vista
http://www.howtonetworking.com/vista/sharingfolders.htm

--

news6162D06-600D-4B91-9A15-FCC736DAEE24@microsoft.com...

> Thanks for the response, Robert.
>
> 1. I have already, created the same username and password on both the
> Vista
> and Xp machines, but this doesn't work I'm afraid.
>
> 2. I've already tried setting the LmCompatibilityLevel to 1, but again,
> this hasn't worked.

ben

Re: Accessing other XP machine and NAS from Vista
What do you mean by "simple file sharing" on XP? File sharing is turned on
as part of the network set up.

Please don't forget that I can see shared files on the Vista machines from
XP. I have also accessed shared files on the XP machine from other XP
machines in the past.

Ben.

"Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> Also check the permission in the Security tab. If you have XP home, you may
> want to disable simple file sharing. This how to talk about how to share
> file on Vista, but it is the same idea.
>
> How to share files or a folder on Windows Vista
> http://www.howtonetworking.com/vista/sharingfolders.htm
>
> --
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>

> "ben" <ben@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news6162D06-600D-4B91-9A15-FCC736DAEE24@microsoft.com...
> >
> > Thanks for the response, Robert.
> >
> > 1. I have already, created the same username and password on both the
> > Vista
> > and Xp machines, but this doesn't work I'm afraid.
> >
> > 2. I've already tried setting the LmCompatibilityLevel to 1, but again,
> > this hasn't worked.

Chuck [MVP]

On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 10:51:01 -0800, ben <ben@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Thanks for the response, Chuck.
>
>I've tried activating the Guest account as you suggest. Unfortunately, this
>hasn't helped. Incidentally, in your instructions, you show the use of a -g
>option with the ntrights utility which gave an error. I assume that -u
>should be used, which then refers to either a user or group, whichever the
>specified name happens to be.
>
>I could try the simple password disabling route if you think it might work,
>but it's not ideal.
>
>As I've already said, I've already tried setting the LmCompatibilityLevel to
>1 and it hasn't worked.

Ben,

If you have a computer running XP Home (with Simple File Sharing forceably
enabled), you should disable Password Protected Sharing in Vista. Then, you'll
need to ensure that Guest is active on all computers for network access.
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/06/file-sharing-under-windows-xp.html#Guest>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...-xp.html#Guest

Than let's try some diagnostics. Look at logs from "browstat status", "ipconfig
/all", "net config server", and "net config workstation", from each computer.
Read this article, and linked articles, and follow instructions precisely
(Download browstat, and note the command window in Vista!):

Cheers,
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
My email is AT DOT
actual address pchuck mvps org.
ben

Re: Accessing other XP machine and NAS from Vista
Thanks for continuing to help, Chuck. I've been away over the weekend, hence
delay in replying. Whilst away, I took the opportunity to try one of the
laptops in a different network with another Windows XP machine. I installed
the LLTD Responder and ran the network wizard on the XP machine. I was then
able to see shared files on the XP machine. I wasn't able to see files on
the Vista machine, but I didn't try any further.

I've run the diagnostics you have suggested. I found that when I run the
"net config server" command on the Vista machine, I get the following error:

System error 5 has occurred

Access is denied

Is this a symptom of the problem I am experiencing?

Also, I was unable to uninstall TCP/IPV6, as suggested. Whenever I selected
it, the uninstall option was greyed out. I have disabled it.

I can't see anything else untoward. Below is the output. Any further ideas?

Ben

Desktop computer

Windows XP Home SP2

IPCONFIG

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : BlackEvesham

Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :

IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : lan

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : lan

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : SiS 900-Based PCI Fast Ethernet
Adapter

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-01-6C-EC-49-91

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 04 February 2008 18:50:30

Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 05 February 2008 18:50:30

NET CONFIG

Server Name \\BLACKEVESHAM
Server Comment Black Evesham in Study

Software version Windows 2002
Server is active on
NetBT_Tcpip_{15A9A7B3-A5A2-4B57-B24A-1B647FBC1353} (00016cec4991)
NetbiosSmb (000000000000)

Server hidden No
Maximum Logged On Users 5
Maximum open files per session 16384

Idle session time (min) 15
The command completed successfully.

Computer name \\BLACKEVESHAM
Full Computer name BlackEvesham
User name Ben

Workstation active on
NetbiosSmb (000000000000)
NetBT_Tcpip_{15A9A7B3-A5A2-4B57-B24A-1B647FBC1353} (00016CEC4991)

Software version Windows 2002

Workstation domain MSHOME
Workstation Domain DNS Name (null)
Logon domain BLACKEVESHAM

COM Open Timeout (sec) 0
COM Send Count (byte) 16
COM Send Timeout (msec) 250
The command completed successfully.

BROWSTAT

Status for domain MSHOME on transport
\Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{15A9A7B3-A5A2-4B57-B24A-1B647FBC1353}
Browsing is active on domain.
Master browser name is: BLACKEVESHAM
Master browser is running build 2600
1 backup servers retrieved from master BLACKEVESHAM
\\BLACKEVESHAM
There are 2 servers in domain MSHOME on transport
\Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{15A9A7B3-A5A2-4B57-B24A-1B647FBC1353}
There are 1 domains in domain MSHOME on transport
\Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{15A9A7B3-A5A2-4B57-B24A-1B647FBC1353}

Laptop computer

Windows Vista Basic

IPCONFIG

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : ToshSat
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : lan

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : lan
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Atheros AR5005G Wireless Network
Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-16-E3-C5-24-C4
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.72(Preferred)
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 04 February 2008 16:39:15
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 05 February 2008 16:41:05
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast
Ethernet NIC
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-16-36-F9-88-B4
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 6:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 02-00-54-55-4E-01
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 7:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . :
isatap.{64269981-636F-4FAD-B04A-F32E57C2C26A}
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 9:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : lan
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #2
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::5efe:192.168.1.72%12(Preferred)
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

NET CONFIG

{net config Server failed - see above}

Computer name \\TOSHSAT
Full Computer name ToshSat
User name Ben

Workstation active on
NetbiosSmb (000000000000)
NetBT_Tcpip_{85B9BBD9-7474-4605-8E3F-FE01B97288A7} (0016E3C524C4)

Software version Windows Vista (TM) Home Basic

Workstation domain MSHOME
Logon domain ToshSat

COM Open Timeout (sec) 0
COM Send Count (byte) 16
COM Send Timeout (msec) 250
The command completed successfully.

BROWSTAT

Status for domain MSHOME on transport
\Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{85B9BBD9-7474-4605-8E3F-FE01B97288A7}
Browsing is active on domain.
Master browser name is: BLACKEVESHAM
Could not connect to registry, error = 53 Unable to determine build
of browser master: 53
\\\\BLACKEVESHAM . Version:05.01 Flags: 51203 NT POTENTIAL MASTER
1 backup servers retrieved from master BLACKEVESHAM
\\BLACKEVESHAM
There are 2 servers in domain MSHOME on transport
\Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{85B9BBD9-7474-4605-8E3F-FE01B97288A7}
There are 1 domains in domain MSHOME on transport
\Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{85B9BBD9-7474-4605-8E3F-FE01B97288A7}

ben

Re: Accessing other XP machine and NAS from Vista
I've just tried something I've tried before but not recently. Since I've
made a few changes, I ought to have tried it again before now. Anyway, it
was to try accessing shared files on the XP machine using a wired link
instead of wireless. Lo and behold, it works. I can also access the NAS.

So, the issue is what is different between the wired and wireless
connections. Do you have recommendations for investigation of this?