Remote Desktop Crapped Out - Checked Everything, please help!

CompMan86 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Remote Desktop Crapped Out - Checked Everything, please help!
I've been using Windows Remote Desktop on my (host) Vista Business machine for months with no problem. Recently, it stopped working and I can't come up with an explanation. I'll detail what I've done and what I know so far.

Remote Desktop is enabled in Remote Settings with the middle radio button (less secure).

Checked the registry for the correct port number and changed it to see if that fixed it -- nope.

Router is configured for port forwarding correctly (port 3389 TCP).

Can't connect from machines outside the network nor inside the network, using internal IP, machine name, or external IP.

Remote desktop client from local machine (loopback) gives the following error immediately when connecting to the machinename or localhost:

Quote:
"The client could not connect. You are already connected to the console of this computer. A new console session cannot be established."
When I try to remote desktop from a computer inside or outside the network or if I type the external IP into the host machine's client I get the generic timeout message:

Quote:
"This computer can't connect to the remote computer. Try connecting again. If the problem continues..."
What's weird is that if I type qwinsta at the command prompt, I get this:

Quote:
SESSIONNAME USERNAME ID STATE TYPE DEVICE
services 0 Disc
>console MyUsername 2 Active
From what I've read online, I should have a line in there like:

Quote:
rdp-tcp 65536 Listen rdpwd
I also don't show 3389 open when I run netstat -a.

I have RemotelyAnywhere and LogMeIn installed on the computer, but I've been running the three in tandem for months without issue.

Windows firewall has the proper exceptions set, and I even tried turning it off, but that didn't help.

I checked and the Terminal Services service is running.

Any ideas? Thanks for any and all replies, this is driving me crazy!

Last edited by CompMan86 : 01-31-2008 at 14:01.

CompMan86 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fixed-

I found an error in my event log:

Quote:
Terminal Service start failed. The relevant status code was No such interface supported
I google'd for this and found a fix (or at least a workaround): Add NT AUTHORITY/NETWORK SERVICE to the Administrators group (control panel -> administrative tools -> computer management -> System Tools, Local Users and Groups -> Groups -> Administrators -> Properties -> Add)

Am I compromising my system's security, or was that supposed to be there and something removed it? I had to add Local Service about a month ago because AOL Instant Messenger (beta perhaps?) screwed things up somehow and that was the fix I found online.
Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Remote Desktop Crapped Out - Checked Everything, please help!
It could be the 3rd party software. For troubleshooting, start the host with
clean boot. Please post back with the result.

Windows generalHow to run Windows OS with a clean boot · How to Run Windows
Safe Mode with Networking · How to setup DHCP for IP Phone How to sort
programs in Start ...
http://www.howtonetworking.com/Windo...owsgeneral.htm

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE