This fixed my XP and Vista Networking problems.

VistaOwner

This fixed my XP and Vista Networking problems.
Hello all. Here was my problem.
1) I have a home network
2) One computer was XP and the other was Vista
3) I could not see these computers in my network places and could not share
files, folders or printers.

If you have this problem try this:

1) Start off by going to the networking and sharing center
2) Under Tasks on the left side of the window click on manage network
connections..
3) Right click on any of your active connections.
4) In the list of services, clients and protocols there is something called
Trend Micro Common Firewall Driver. Click on this and choose Uninstall.
5)Once you have uninstalled the Trend Micro Common Firewall Driver restart
your machine.
6) You should now be able to see your other computers on the network no
matter if they are XP or Vista.

I realize not everyone has Trend Micro AV but if you have this file
installed it could very well be causing you problems.
Right after I uninstalled this service, I was able to see my XP computer on
my Vista network places folder and vice versa.

Hope this helps!

roy69

Re: This fixed my XP and Vista Networking problems.

Alot of problems people have is with the odd bit of software causing
errors with networking.
Because users computers contain so many different pieces of software it
is sometimes hard to diagnose problems.
Another problem is the amount of different settings that are buried
around the networking software.

I am glad you managed to sort yours out Vistaowner.

I had a similar problem with my system, I have a main computer using
Vista with a router connected by ethernet cable. The router is wireless.
My laptop is using XP and also wireless.
I tried all sorts, The router could sort of see the laptop and there
was a small amount of wireless traffic going on. It turned out to be a
legacy setting from my previous network that was causing all the
problems. The laptop had a static IP address I forgot about. Once it was
changed back to roaming my whole network came to life.

It is very satisfying when you manage to sort out a problem and get
good results. It also stops the wife kicking me off my main machine when
she wants to use the internet

--
roy69

- Core 2 Quad Q6600
- Abit IP35 Pro
- 4 x 1GB OcUK PC2-6400 C5 800 MHZ Dual Channel
- Leadtek GeForce 8800 GTS 640MB GDDR3
- CiBox TFT 22" Widescreen LCD Panel. 1680 x 1050
- Creative X-Fi 7.1 PCI-E
- Antec 900 Ultimate Gaming Case
- Creative Inspire 7.1 T7900 Speakers
- Corsair HX 620W ATX2.2 Modular SLI Complient PSU
Wessel Troost

Re: This fixed my XP and Vista Networking problems.
> I realize not everyone has Trend Micro AV but if you have this file
> installed it could very well be causing you problems.

Cheers!
I've had similiar problems with Kaspersky, NOD32 and AVG. It must be
very hard to write a virus scanner for Vista

Mick Murphy

RE: This fixed my XP and Vista Networking problems.
The down side to your solution is your firewall!!!

What you should have done is go into your user profile in that firewall, and
make file and printer sharing an exception.

"VistaOwner" wrote:

> Hello all. Here was my problem.
> 1) I have a home network
> 2) One computer was XP and the other was Vista
> 3) I could not see these computers in my network places and could not share
> files, folders or printers.
>
> If you have this problem try this:
>
> 1) Start off by going to the networking and sharing center
> 2) Under Tasks on the left side of the window click on manage network
> connections..
> 3) Right click on any of your active connections.
> 4) In the list of services, clients and protocols there is something called
> Trend Micro Common Firewall Driver. Click on this and choose Uninstall.
> 5)Once you have uninstalled the Trend Micro Common Firewall Driver restart
> your machine.
> 6) You should now be able to see your other computers on the network no
> matter if they are XP or Vista.
>
> I realize not everyone has Trend Micro AV but if you have this file
> installed it could very well be causing you problems.
> Right after I uninstalled this service, I was able to see my XP computer on
> my Vista network places folder and vice versa.
>
> Hope this helps!

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: This fixed my XP and Vista Networking problems.
We have seen many cases like this one. To troubleshooting, start the
computer with clean boot.

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net