Vista (Home Prem) Permissions - Multiple Access to a Network Share

sauvagii

Vista (Home Prem) Permissions - Multiple Access to a Network Share
I am trying to network a group of laptops runniing Vista Home Prem.

The users must access a shared folder on one HP laptop.

This contains the "Back end" of an access database. Runtime MS Access
and
the "Front End" are installed on all other laptops.

However, I cannot get more than a single user onto the system at once
- when
one user logs into the "front end" and opens the main database form,
no other user can, until that person logs
out - then another user gets access.

This seems to be an issue with permissions in Home Prem. But I have
been
thus far unable to resolve it.

On the "host" PC, the folder is set to share, and I've set "Everyone"
Full Control in the permissions, and I've also tried this with
"Guests". Basically, I've tried to allow Full Control on every User
Group on the system to get round this - but to no avail

Can anyone offer some advice on how to resolve this?

(I have actually taken the "host" laptop offline, and installed Vista
Business to get better user/group control to see if that can resolve
the issue)
Marius Farcas

Re: Vista (Home Prem) Permissions - Multiple Access to a Network Share
On your HP desktop you have to check the number of connections allowed to
your share (in WVista is by default 10).
if this isn't the issue then probably the application doesn't permit
concurrent access on your database and this thing requires changes in your
application (a programmer should know better .. )
Cheers,

"sauvagii" <greig@sauvagii.org> wrote in message
>I am trying to network a group of laptops runniing Vista Home Prem.
>
> The users must access a shared folder on one HP laptop.
>
> This contains the "Back end" of an access database. Runtime MS Access
> and
> the "Front End" are installed on all other laptops.
>
> However, I cannot get more than a single user onto the system at once
> - when
> one user logs into the "front end" and opens the main database form,
> no other user can, until that person logs
> out - then another user gets access.
>
> This seems to be an issue with permissions in Home Prem. But I have
> been
> thus far unable to resolve it.
>
> On the "host" PC, the folder is set to share, and I've set "Everyone"
> Full Control in the permissions, and I've also tried this with
> "Guests". Basically, I've tried to allow Full Control on every User
> Group on the system to get round this - but to no avail
>
> Can anyone offer some advice on how to resolve this?
>

> (I have actually taken the "host" laptop offline, and installed Vista
> Business to get better user/group control to see if that can resolve
> the issue)

sauvagii

On 30 Jan, 19:34, "Marius Farcas" <marius...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On your HP desktop you have to check the number of connections allowed to
> your share (in WVista is by default 10).
> if this isn't the issue then probably the application doesn't permit
> concurrent access on your database and this thing requires changes in your
> application (a programmer should know better .. )
> Cheers,
>
> "sauvagii" <gr...@sauvagii.org> wrote in message

> >I am trying to network a group of laptops runniing Vista Home Prem.

> > The users must access a shared folder on one HP laptop.

> > This contains the "Back end" of an access database. *Runtime MS Access
> > and
> > the "Front End" are installed on all other laptops.

> > However, I cannot get more than a single user onto the system at once
> > - when
> > one user logs into the "front end" and opens the main database form,
> > no other user can, until that person logs
> > out - then another user gets access.

> > This seems to be an issue with permissions in Home Prem. But I have
> > been
> > thus far unable to resolve it.

> > On the "host" PC, the folder is set to share, and I've set "Everyone"
> > Full Control in the permissions, and I've also tried this with
> > "Guests". *Basically, I've tried to allow Full Control on every User
> > Group on the system to get round this - but to no avail

> > Can anyone offer some advice on how to resolve this?

> > (I have actually taken the "host" laptop offline, and installed Vista
> > Business to get better user/group control to see if that can resolve
> > the issue)- Hide quoted text -

Thanks for the reply,

Unfortunately the multiple access is already set to the default (10).

The database has been shared until now on an external hard drive
attached to the network (Western Digital Mybook World Ed) successfully
by 8 users simultaneously.

We have merely copied the "back end" over onto the vista network share
and have been unable to get it running with more than a single user
since :-(