Joining a Vista Machine to Network

Mark H

Joining a Vista Machine to Network
Hi,

I have a Vista Laptop and am trying to join to a SBS 2003 Premium network. I
would like to preserve the existing settings and so select the current user
settings for the new network user.

When I attempt to proceed, I receive a message that the User Profile Folder
is set to Private. What should I change and where in order to set the user
profile correctly?

Thank you.
Kerry Brown

Re: Joining a Vista Machine to Network
"Mark H" <MarkH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
newsA072DAD-F410-49D2-8508-A9152FD40BDA@microsoft.com...
> Hi,
>
> I have a Vista Laptop and am trying to join to a SBS 2003 Premium network.
> would like to preserve the existing settings and so select the current
> user
> settings for the new network user.
>
> When I attempt to proceed, I receive a message that the User Profile
> Folder
> is set to Private. What should I change and where in order to set the user
> profile correctly?

Have you installed the updates for Vista compatibility on the SBS server and
the updates for SBS compatibility on the Vista computer?

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=926505

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User

Mark H

Re: Joining a Vista Machine to Network
Hi Kerry,

Yes, although I have not yet installed ISA on the server.

> Hi Kerry,
>
> Yes, although I have not yet installed ISA on the server.

You don't need ISA to join a Vista computer to the domain. It's probably a
folder somewhere in the profile with a permissions problem. See this link
for how to find it.

http://msmvps.com/blogs/bradley/arch...e-private.aspx

There's some possibilities here as well.

http://blogs.technet.com/mattmcspiri...rver-2003.aspx

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User
http://www.vistahelp.ca/phpBB2/

Mark H

Re: Joining a Vista Machine to Network
Thanks, the information was useful. The problem was a temp file that needed
to be deleted. However I now have new problems arose as a result of
installing the PC:

1. Logon is extremely slow (up to around 10 minutes)
2. Log-on says that profile has not loaded correctly and now using
previously saved profile (event viewer says "This computer was not able to
set up a secure session with a domain controller in domain XYZ due to the
following:
There are currently no logon servers available to service the logon request.
This may lead to authentication problems. Make sure that this computer is
connected to the network. If the problem persists, please contact your domain
administrator." )
3. The Vista machine now has no Internet access

I have (probably incorrectly)
1. Removed the Vista machine from the domain and returned to workgroup
2. Used system restore to return to a set-up state prior to introducing to
domain
3. Installed ISA (still in its raw state - no configuration as yet)

What can I do short of starting over?

> Thanks, the information was useful. The problem was a temp file that
> needed
> to be deleted. However I now have new problems arose as a result of
> installing the PC:
>
> 1. Logon is extremely slow (up to around 10 minutes)
> 2. Log-on says that profile has not loaded correctly and now using
> previously saved profile (event viewer says "This computer was not able to
> set up a secure session with a domain controller in domain XYZ due to the
> following:
> There are currently no logon servers available to service the logon
> request.
> This may lead to authentication problems. Make sure that this computer is
> connected to the network. If the problem persists, please contact your
> domain
> administrator." )
> 3. The Vista machine now has no Internet access
>
> I have (probably incorrectly)
> 1. Removed the Vista machine from the domain and returned to workgroup
> 2. Used system restore to return to a set-up state prior to introducing to
> domain
> 3. Installed ISA (still in its raw state - no configuration as yet)

If you installed ISA you need to rerun the CEICW wizard to configure it. If
you don't understand what ISA does I'd recommend you uninstall it. Make sure
you backup the server first. As I said before there was no need to install
ISA just to join a Vista computer to the domain. The second problem sounded
like a misconfigured DNS problem. It could also be a problem with the
network setup on the server if SP2 is installed or on the Vista client.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555912

http://msmvps.com/blogs/bradley/arch...installed.aspx

Can you describe your network. Is the SBS server also the DHCP and the DNS
server? Do you manage the server with the built in wizards? Did you join the
Vista computer to the domain with the connectcomputer wizard?

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User
http://www.vistahelp.ca/phpBB2/

Mark H

Re: Joining a Vista Machine to Network
Hi,

All items mentioned were completed:

1. Re-ran CEICW after installing ISA
2. SBS is both DNS and DHCP server
3. Client uses SBS server as preferred DNS
4. Using wizards to complete all work on server
5. Used connectcomputer wizard to join network

I have read in some forums that ISA does not completely uninstall and so
have left that as a last resort. I am also planning on manually copying all
profile files onto an external drive so that they can be directly returned to
the client. Then I am free to do whatever is necessary with the server
without fear of loss of data.

> Hi,
>
> All items mentioned were completed:
>
> 1. Re-ran CEICW after installing ISA
> 2. SBS is both DNS and DHCP server
> 3. Client uses SBS server as preferred DNS
> 4. Using wizards to complete all work on server
> 5. Used connectcomputer wizard to join network
>
> I have read in some forums that ISA does not completely uninstall and so
> have left that as a last resort. I am also planning on manually copying
> all
> profile files onto an external drive so that they can be directly returned
> the client. Then I am free to do whatever is necessary with the server
> without fear of loss of data.

Sounds like that's all good then.If ISA is installed and working I'd leave
it in place. It's an excellent firewall solution. Did you make the changes
on the Vista client.

netsh interface tcp set global rss=disabled
netsh interface tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled
and reboot

And the SBS server

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936594/

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User
http://www.vistahelp.ca/phpBB2/

Mark H

Re: Joining a Vista Machine to Network
Thanks Kerry,

Took a look at all the documents you noted and got some good foof for
thought. The changes you suggested certainly sped up internet connectivity
for the client (when able to access). In the end, I took the following steps:

1. Remove ISA server (with some trepidation at first based on some forums
where people had said they had had trouble removing successfully - in the end
it uninstalled no problem).
2. Remove domain profile folder from client
3. Re-boot both machines
4. Re-run CEICW on server

The result was:

1. Intranet connectivity restored to client
2. Internet connectivity restored to client

Present status:

1. Server is running without ISA
2. Client is in a workgroup
3. Client is accessing server resources using domain log-on
4. Internet access OK
5. Printing OK
6. VPN access not yet configured

I will re-build the Vista machine and then attempt to rejoin domain. ISA
configuration will have to wait until I have done more study unless you have
some ideas as to what settings need to be applied in order to stop the
apprent blocking of services immediately after install.

Thank you for your input, it was much appreciated.

"Kerry Brown" wrote:

> "Mark H" <MarkH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > All items mentioned were completed:
> >
> > 1. Re-ran CEICW after installing ISA
> > 2. SBS is both DNS and DHCP server
> > 3. Client uses SBS server as preferred DNS
> > 4. Using wizards to complete all work on server
> > 5. Used connectcomputer wizard to join network
> >
> > I have read in some forums that ISA does not completely uninstall and so
> > have left that as a last resort. I am also planning on manually copying
> > all
> > profile files onto an external drive so that they can be directly returned
> > the client. Then I am free to do whatever is necessary with the server
> > without fear of loss of data.

> Sounds like that's all good then.If ISA is installed and working I'd leave
> it in place. It's an excellent firewall solution. Did you make the changes
> on the Vista client.
>
> netsh interface tcp set global rss=disabled
> netsh interface tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled
> and reboot
>
> And the SBS server
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936594/
>
> --
> Kerry Brown
> Microsoft MVP - Shell/User
> http://www.vistahelp.ca/phpBB2/

Kerry Brown

Re: Joining a Vista Machine to Network
Can you post the results of "ipconfig /all" from the SBS server and from a
Vista client that has problems?

If you have SBS 2003 Premium (comes with ISA) and you ran the CEICW wizard
it should not be blocking any of the standard services the SBS uses. What
was it blocking? Was ISA installed on the SBS server or a different server?