Windows Vista Laptop cannot access Windows XP Computers on the net

H. B.

Windows Vista Laptop cannot access Windows XP Computers on the net
I can’t connect to the other Windows XP computers on my network from my Sony
VAIO laptop running Windows Vista. Yet I can access the Sony VAIO files from
my two Windows XP desktop computers on the network. When I try to access the
two XP computers on the network I receive the following error:

Windows cannot access

Check the spelling of the name. Otherwise, there might be a problem with
your network. To try to identify and resolve network problems, click
diagnose.

After I click diagnose, I receive the following error:

Cannot communicate with DD69M251 (192.168.1.2)/

Network diagnostics pinged the remote host but did not receive a response.

Windows found a problem that cannot be repaired automatically. Contact your
ISN or network administrator for help or click here for information about
things you can try to help resolve the problem.

Network Discovery is ON
Password Protection Sharing is OFF
Computers are all in the same WORKGROUP

Any suggestions on what my next steps should be?

Boyd

--
HB
Hans-Georg Michna

Re: Windows Vista Laptop cannot access Windows XP Computers on the net
On Tue, 29 Jan 2008 10:02:04 -0800, H. B. wrote:

>I can’t connect to the other Windows XP computers on my network from my Sony
>VAIO laptop running Windows Vista. Yet I can access the Sony VAIO files from
>my two Windows XP desktop computers on the network. When I try to access the
>two XP computers on the network I receive the following error:
>
>Windows cannot access
>
>Check the spelling of the name. Otherwise, there might be a problem with
>your network. To try to identify and resolve network problems, click
>diagnose.
>
>After I click diagnose, I receive the following error:
>
>Cannot communicate with DD69M251 (192.168.1.2)/
>
>Network diagnostics pinged the remote host but did not receive a response.

Boyd,

the general rules are at http://winhlp.com/node/179 .

Your problem sounds a bit like a misconfigured firewall. Do you
have any third-party network security software installed?
Anything named Symantec or Norton perhaps?

Hans-Georg
--
No mail, please.
Mick Murphy

RE: Windows Vista Laptop cannot access Windows XP Computers on the net
Run the XPs File and Printer sharing wizard, so that they know to share with
other machines. namely vista.

"H. B." wrote:

> I can’t connect to the other Windows XP computers on my network from my Sony
> VAIO laptop running Windows Vista. Yet I can access the Sony VAIO files from
> my two Windows XP desktop computers on the network. When I try to access the
> two XP computers on the network I receive the following error:
>
> Windows cannot access
>
> Check the spelling of the name. Otherwise, there might be a problem with
> your network. To try to identify and resolve network problems, click
> diagnose.
>
> After I click diagnose, I receive the following error:
>
> Cannot communicate with DD69M251 (192.168.1.2)/
>
> Network diagnostics pinged the remote host but did not receive a response.
>
> Windows found a problem that cannot be repaired automatically. Contact your
> ISN or network administrator for help or click here for information about
> things you can try to help resolve the problem.
>
> Network Discovery is ON
> Password Protection Sharing is OFF
> Computers are all in the same WORKGROUP
>
> Any suggestions on what my next steps should be?
>
> Boyd
>
> --
> HB

H. B.

RE: Windows Vista Laptop cannot access Windows XP Computers on the
Thanks for your response, but I did run this wizard on my XP systems. Both
desktops show the printer as being shared. WHen I tried to run the same
wizard on my Sony Vista Laptop, it did not display the printer as one I could
connect to. ANy other suggestions?
--
HB

"Mick Murphy" wrote:

> Run the XPs File and Printer sharing wizard, so that they know to share with
> other machines. namely vista.
>
> "H. B." wrote:
>
> > I can’t connect to the other Windows XP computers on my network from my Sony
> > VAIO laptop running Windows Vista. Yet I can access the Sony VAIO files from
> > my two Windows XP desktop computers on the network. When I try to access the
> > two XP computers on the network I receive the following error:
> >
> > Windows cannot access
> >
> > Check the spelling of the name. Otherwise, there might be a problem with
> > your network. To try to identify and resolve network problems, click
> > diagnose.
> >
> > After I click diagnose, I receive the following error:
> >
> > Cannot communicate with DD69M251 (192.168.1.2)/
> >
> > Network diagnostics pinged the remote host but did not receive a response.
> >
> > Windows found a problem that cannot be repaired automatically. Contact your
> > ISN or network administrator for help or click here for information about
> > things you can try to help resolve the problem.
> >
> > Network Discovery is ON
> > Password Protection Sharing is OFF
> > Computers are all in the same WORKGROUP
> >
> > Any suggestions on what my next steps should be?
> >
> > Boyd
> >
> > --
> > HB

H. B.

Re: Windows Vista Laptop cannot access Windows XP Computers on the
Thanks for your response. I reviewed the general rules you provided and it
these are the steps I performed to set things up. I do have McAfee installed
on the desktop computers through Comcast my ISP. What can I look for?
THanks for your help.--
HB

"Hans-Georg Michna" wrote:

> On Tue, 29 Jan 2008 10:02:04 -0800, H. B. wrote:
>
> >I can’t connect to the other Windows XP computers on my network from my Sony
> >VAIO laptop running Windows Vista. Yet I can access the Sony VAIO files from
> >my two Windows XP desktop computers on the network. When I try to access the
> >two XP computers on the network I receive the following error:
> >
> >Windows cannot access
> >
> >Check the spelling of the name. Otherwise, there might be a problem with
> >your network. To try to identify and resolve network problems, click
> >diagnose.
> >
> >After I click diagnose, I receive the following error:
> >
> >Cannot communicate with DD69M251 (192.168.1.2)/
> >
> >Network diagnostics pinged the remote host but did not receive a response.

> Boyd,
>
> the general rules are at http://winhlp.com/node/179 .
>
> Your problem sounds a bit like a misconfigured firewall. Do you
> have any third-party network security software installed?
> Anything named Symantec or Norton perhaps?
>
> Hans-Georg
> --
> No mail, please.

Stitch in time

RE: Windows Vista Laptop cannot access Windows XP Computers on the
Got the same message going from notebook to desktop. Did you open the same
ports on both computers? I can access files from Acer Vista notebook to HP
XP notebook, but not from Acer Vista notebook to Acer Vista desktop. Dying to
know the answer.

On Tue, 29 Jan 2008 13:20:01 -0800, H. B. wrote:

>"Hans-Georg Michna" wrote:

>> the general rules are at http://winhlp.com/node/179 .
>>
>> Your problem sounds a bit like a misconfigured firewall. Do you
>> have any third-party network security software installed?
>> Anything named Symantec or Norton perhaps?

>Thanks for your response. I reviewed the general rules you provided and it
>these are the steps I performed to set things up. I do have McAfee installed
>on the desktop computers through Comcast my ISP. What can I look for?

What did you do in regard to step 6 of
http://winhlp.com/node/179 ? I already specifically suspected a
misconfigured firewall.

One way to test is to disable the third-party firewall entirely,
but you should do this only while some other protection is
active, like the built-in Windows firewall (reactivate it) or a
NAT (Network Address Translation) router.

Some firewalls (Norton comes to mind) wreak havoc even when
disabled. You may have to uninstall it entirely to make things
work.

Of course I do not have enough information to be sure that it's
a firewall. I can only guess so far.

Hans-Georg
--
No mail, please.