Set up wireless router or access point

Stitch in time

Set up wireless router or access point
Every time I try this procedure (set up wireless router or access point) I
get the following message:
"Configure device manually-windows will open the device configuration page
so you can type the information manually:
-Network name (SSID)
-security type and key or passphrase (WPA security recommended)"

But if I continue all the info is already there. If the info is there, why
can I not access shared folders or printers?
Mick Murphy

RE: Set up wireless router or access point
Setting up a wireless Access does NOT mean that you can share files and
printers!!!!!

You don't say what computers(if any) you are trying to share files with!!!!

You expect help, with NO info!!!!

How to give Permissions are there, too.
If you are running Norton, etc’s Firewall, check its settings.

the SAME.

In Vista Network and Sharing:

File Sharing: ON

Docs)

from an XP computer.

"Stitch in time" wrote:

> Every time I try this procedure (set up wireless router or access point) I
> get the following message:
> "Configure device manually-windows will open the device configuration page
> so you can type the information manually:
> -Network name (SSID)
> -security type and key or passphrase (WPA security recommended)"
>
> But if I continue all the info is already there. If the info is there, why
> can I not access shared folders or printers?

Stitch in time

RE: Set up wireless router or access point
sorry.

I think the problem has to do with the firewall settings on my router, but I
don't know how to configure it...what applications to allow.

I have Acer notebook and Acer desktop both with Vista OS using a 2wire
2701HB-gateway . The desktop is accessing internet via ethernet and notebook
via wireless.

I really don't know much, but I have already read the link you sent via
other posts and replies and it hasn't helped me. I have made those settings.
Have a workgroup, set users with permissions, took down firewalls...I don't
know what else I can do. Sick thing is my notebook can access files on my HP
notebook running XP, but my two Acer's running Vista can't share anything
exept media.

I appreciate the feedback.

"Mick Murphy" wrote:

> Setting up a wireless Access does NOT mean that you can share files and
> printers!!!!!
>
> You don't say what computers(if any) you are trying to share files with!!!!
>
> You expect help, with NO info!!!!

> How to give Permissions are there, too.
> If you are running Norton, etc’s Firewall, check its settings.
>
> 1st thing to do is make sure that the Workgroup Name of ALL the computers is
> the SAME.
>
> In Vista Network and Sharing:

> File Sharing: ON
>
> Public Folder Sharing: ON (Vista’s Public Folder is the same as XP’s Shared
> Docs)

> passwords on ALL computers in your Network) If you have it ON, you will be
> asked for a username and password when you try to access a Vista computer
> from an XP computer.
>
> Also, run the XP’s Home Network File and Printer sharing Wizard.
>

> "Stitch in time" wrote:
>
> > Every time I try this procedure (set up wireless router or access point) I
> > get the following message:
> > "Configure device manually-windows will open the device configuration page
> > so you can type the information manually:
> > -Network name (SSID)
> > -security type and key or passphrase (WPA security recommended)"
> >
> > But if I continue all the info is already there. If the info is there, why
> > can I not access shared folders or printers?

armbyallu@gmail.com

Re: Set up wireless router or access point
On Jan 30, 5:38 am, Stitch in time
<Stitchint...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> sorry.
>
> I think the problem has to do with the firewall settings on my router, but I
> don't know how to configure it...what applications to allow.
>
> I have Acer notebook and Acer desktop both with Vista OS using a 2wire
> 2701HB-gateway . The desktop is accessing internet via ethernet and notebook
> via wireless.
>
> I really don't know much, but I have already read the link you sent via
> other posts and replies and it hasn't helped me. I have made those settings.
> Have a workgroup, set users with permissions, took down firewalls...I don't
> know what else I can do. Sick thing is my notebook can access files on my HP
> notebook running XP, but my two Acer's running Vista can't share anything
> exept media.
>
> I appreciate the feedback.
>

> "Mick Murphy" wrote:
> > Setting up a wireless Access does NOT mean that you can share files and
> > printers!!!!!

> > You don't say what computers(if any) you are trying to share files with!!!!

> > You expect help, with NO info!!!!

> >http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../bb727037.aspx

> > Have a read of the above link re Vista File and Printer Sharing.
> > How to give Permissions are there, too.
> > If you are running Norton, etc's Firewall, check its settings.

> > 1st thing to do is make sure that the Workgroup Name of ALL the computers is
> > the SAME.

> > In Vista Network and Sharing:

> > Network Discovery: ON (So it can see the other computers)

> > Network set to Private (Public is for hotspots, airports, etc)

> > File Sharing: ON

> > Public Folder Sharing: ON (Vista's Public Folder is the same as XP's Shared
> > Docs)

> > Password Protected: OFF (unless you want to set up identical usernames and
> > passwords on ALL computers in your Network) If you have it ON, you will be
> > asked for a username and password when you try to access a Vista computer
> > from an XP computer.

> > Also, run the XP's Home Network File and Printer sharing Wizard.

> > "Stitch in time" wrote:

> > > Every time I try this procedure (set up wireless router or access point) I
> > > get the following message:
> > > "Configure device manually-windows will open the device configuration page
> > > so you can type the information manually:
> > > -Network name (SSID)
> > > -security type and key or passphrase (WPA security recommended)"

> > > But if I continue all the info is already there. If the info is there, why
> > > can I not access shared folders or printers?- Hide quoted text -

HI,
Anyone to help please,
My problem is a bit different from that one but is concerning the same
subject.
Am using Airport Extrem basestation for wireless LAN and i have
configured a HP 4250 printer conected via USB directly on AP. All PC
with XP Pro, 2000 and mac are connected without a problem via bonjour
setup. The problem is i now want to connect a Laptop with 64b itWindow
Vista Bussiness.

At first i heard to find a lastest bonjour drivers after i have tried
other adding a new port and configuring via printer on the net failed.

I finally manage to connect and find a printer via this newest driver
but the problem whenever i try to print it gives me printer error and
hangs while deleting the error or removing the printer.

I also use Norton Internet security. Is this something to do with
Window Vista? though i tried to allow printer and folder sharing on
it.

Any help or Idea please?

A. Rowland