Wireless NO - Wired Yes

Bikini Browser

Wireless NO - Wired Yes
Hello...

I have two computers. The Windows XP Professional is wired directly to my 5
port SpeedTouch 780 10/100mb switch. The Vista Home Premium is a laptop
and is wireless connected to the same SpeedTouch 780 DSL Router.

Both computers can see each other on the network. I can browse all the
allowed folders on the Sony Vaio Vista Machine

**** but I cannot browse the folders on the XP machine from the Vista
machine. *** I CAN open the folders but I cannot copy files and if there are
a lot of folders, VISTA will sit there and hang while the progress bar
progresses and finally the Vista machine will kick back an error message
saying that Windows Explorer has quit with no explanation.

HOWEVER, IF I disconnect the Vista wireless connection, and I cable it, to
the same SpeedTouch 780 switch, THEN I CAN browse my folders on the XP
machine and EVERYTHING works like it is supposed to.

I have turned off the firewall and disabled anti virus on both machines.

What can I do to troubleshoot this problem?

And DOES ANYONE have a tech support phone number for SpeedTouch 780 DSL
Routers?

Dale

PhilBiker

RE: Wireless NO - Wired Yes
Sorry I can't help, but I feel your pain. Home networking under XP is a
mess. I had similar problems and I fixed everything by replacing the XP
machine with a Vista one, and networking is slick as snot now. Sorry, but
networking is one of the major things that is better handled in Vista than XP.

-Phil

"Bikini Browser" wrote:

> Hello...
>
> I have two computers. The Windows XP Professional is wired directly to my 5
> port SpeedTouch 780 10/100mb switch. The Vista Home Premium is a laptop
> and is wireless connected to the same SpeedTouch 780 DSL Router.
>
> Both computers can see each other on the network. I can browse all the
> allowed folders on the Sony Vaio Vista Machine
>
> **** but I cannot browse the folders on the XP machine from the Vista
> machine. *** I CAN open the folders but I cannot copy files and if there are
> a lot of folders, VISTA will sit there and hang while the progress bar
> progresses and finally the Vista machine will kick back an error message
> saying that Windows Explorer has quit with no explanation.
>
> HOWEVER, IF I disconnect the Vista wireless connection, and I cable it, to
> the same SpeedTouch 780 switch, THEN I CAN browse my folders on the XP
> machine and EVERYTHING works like it is supposed to.
>
> I have turned off the firewall and disabled anti virus on both machines.
>
> What can I do to troubleshoot this problem?
>
> And DOES ANYONE have a tech support phone number for SpeedTouch 780 DSL
> Routers?
>
> Dale

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Wireless NO - Wired Yes
Try to disable IPv6 on the wireless first.

Vista How toHow to disable TCP/IPv6 · How to Disconnect Vista VPN connection
· How to disable ICS public connection ... How to disable Vista firewall
using Group Policy ...
www.howtonetworking.com/vista/vista.htm

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

"Bikini Browser" <delete.bikini.this.browser@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello...
>
> I have two computers. The Windows XP Professional is wired directly to my
> 5 port SpeedTouch 780 10/100mb switch. The Vista Home Premium is a
> laptop and is wireless connected to the same SpeedTouch 780 DSL Router.
>
> Both computers can see each other on the network. I can browse all the
> allowed folders on the Sony Vaio Vista Machine
>
> **** but I cannot browse the folders on the XP machine from the Vista
> machine. *** I CAN open the folders but I cannot copy files and if there
> are a lot of folders, VISTA will sit there and hang while the progress bar
> progresses and finally the Vista machine will kick back an error message
> saying that Windows Explorer has quit with no explanation.
>
> HOWEVER, IF I disconnect the Vista wireless connection, and I cable it, to
> the same SpeedTouch 780 switch, THEN I CAN browse my folders on the XP
> machine and EVERYTHING works like it is supposed to.
>
> I have turned off the firewall and disabled anti virus on both machines.
>
> What can I do to troubleshoot this problem?
>
> And DOES ANYONE have a tech support phone number for SpeedTouch 780 DSL
> Routers?
>
> Dale

Gordon

Re: Wireless NO - Wired Yes
"PhilBiker" <PhilBiker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Sorry I can't help, but I feel your pain. Home networking under XP is a
> mess. I had similar problems and I fixed everything by replacing the XP
> machine with a Vista one, and networking is slick as snot now. Sorry, but
> networking is one of the major things that is better handled in Vista than
> XP.

Well I've never had ANY problem either networking or sharing files and
folders on my XP network....and the setup was dead easy as well...always has
been....

Phillip Windell

Re: Wireless NO - Wired Yes
"Gordon" <gbplinux@gmail.com.invalid> wrote in message
> "PhilBiker" <PhilBiker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Sorry I can't help, but I feel your pain. Home networking under XP is a
>> mess. I had similar problems and I fixed everything by replacing the XP
>> machine with a Vista one, and networking is slick as snot now. Sorry,
>> but
>> networking is one of the major things that is better handled in Vista
>> than XP.
>>

> Well I've never had ANY problem either networking or sharing files and
> folders on my XP network....and the setup was dead easy as well...always
> has been....

Same here. In fact it is Vista that I have all the problems with. Just
simple file copies between shares with Vista has always been a disaster. It
was easier to use a thumb drive or external USB drive and "sneeker-net" it
with Vista rather than mess with network copying.

Copying between XP machines was always fine.

--
Phillip Windell
www.wandtv.com