Networking Vista to XP - solved for me

Diamontina Cocktail

Networking Vista to XP - solved for me
Sorry about the premature letter before. Been working on the problem for
hours and this didn't occur to me at first.

My problem was simply that I used to use Zone Alarm Pro and because I didn't
really need it any longer, while still on XP I allowed it to lapse and then
stopped it auto starting so I eventually forgot about it. Then, I updated to
Vista. When I remembered about it a short time ago, I attempted to uninstall
it but that version really is a problem to uninstall. You need to start the
uninstall, wait about 30 minutes then kill the vsmon processes one at a time
and slowly, hoping you got it in the right order. Once you do it right, the
uninstall pops up and takes it out. When it was uninstalled, all my
networking jumped back just fine.

So, if you have a 3rd party firewall installed though it may not be used/on,
get rid of it entirely and try again.

Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: Networking Vista to XP - solved for me
Thank you for sharing your experience with us.

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
"Diamontina Cocktail" <lrb@australia.com> wrote in message news:ej4$iC%23XHHA.2320@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
Sorry about the premature letter before. Been working on the problem for
hours and this didn't occur to me at first.

My problem was simply that I used to use Zone Alarm Pro and because I didn't
really need it any longer, while still on XP I allowed it to lapse and then
stopped it auto starting so I eventually forgot about it. Then, I updated to
Vista. When I remembered about it a short time ago, I attempted to uninstall
it but that version really is a problem to uninstall. You need to start the
uninstall, wait about 30 minutes then kill the vsmon processes one at a time
and slowly, hoping you got it in the right order. Once you do it right, the
uninstall pops up and takes it out. When it was uninstalled, all my
networking jumped back just fine.

So, if you have a 3rd party firewall installed though it may not be used/on,
get rid of it entirely and try again.

=?Utf-8?B?S2ltIFtNU10=?=

RE: Networking Vista to XP - solved for me
Diamontina,

Thank you for your post. Vista networking should work with any 3rd party
firewall. However, in order for Vista to provide user access (in or out),
the firewall settings should be adjusted to allow for such access. Your
firewall takes precedence over Vista; and this is by-design.

If you find compatibility issues between Vista and any firewall, and have
modified all the necessary settings in the firewall to allow for the
functionality you desire, please consider this a bug and let us know so that
we can investigate.

Thanks

"Diamontina Cocktail" wrote:

> Sorry about the premature letter before. Been working on the problem for
> hours and this didn't occur to me at first.
>
> My problem was simply that I used to use Zone Alarm Pro and because I didn't
> really need it any longer, while still on XP I allowed it to lapse and then
> stopped it auto starting so I eventually forgot about it. Then, I updated to
> Vista. When I remembered about it a short time ago, I attempted to uninstall
> it but that version really is a problem to uninstall. You need to start the
> uninstall, wait about 30 minutes then kill the vsmon processes one at a time
> and slowly, hoping you got it in the right order. Once you do it right, the
> uninstall pops up and takes it out. When it was uninstalled, all my
> networking jumped back just fine.
>
> So, if you have a 3rd party firewall installed though it may not be used/on,
> get rid of it entirely and try again.

Keith D

FURTHER:- Networking Vista to XP - solved for me

> If you find compatibility issues between Vista and any firewall, and have
> modified all the necessary settings in the firewall to allow for the
> functionality you desire, please consider this a bug and let us know so
> that
> we can investigate.
>
> Thanks

Hi

Sure can

i had 6 hours with your tec dept in india re XP machines not seeing
Vista on a network on day 1 of uk release

i can provide the huge reference number they gave me if you wish

they told me at start all!!!!!! third party firewall/anti virus had to be
completaly
removed from Vista machine which i did
they said just disabling firewalls did nothing as it still ran in backround
problem was solved and i now have your liveonecare running perfectly

as for firewalls which dont run

curtesy of Mr Richard Branson's virgin media here in UK

http://www.virginmedia.com/customers...quirements.php

if you have a read around pages cant remember where you will see they tell
you

do not!!! install in Vista machines
watch this space for a vista compatable version
coming soon

your own tec dept was correct and so are virgin media!!!!

cheers for now

Keith D.

Diamontina Cocktail

"Kim [MS]" <KimMS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Diamontina,
>
> Thank you for your post. Vista networking should work with any 3rd party
> firewall. However, in order for Vista to provide user access (in or out),
> the firewall settings should be adjusted to allow for such access. Your
> firewall takes precedence over Vista; and this is by-design.

Unfortunately, though, version 6.5 of ZA doesnt. Even in compatibility mode
it doesnt. I have seen this many of times, naturally.

> If you find compatibility issues between Vista and any firewall, and have
> modified all the necessary settings in the firewall to allow for the
> functionality you desire, please consider this a bug and let us know so
> that
> we can investigate.

That was the point of the first letter in this thread that I posted. ZA Pro
was not loaded at startup and I thought it was not affecting networking. It
was, however. Somehow, it had stopped all XP machines from working with this
Vista one though they could see it whereas back the other way, the Vista
machine would do fine with the XP ones. Once I finally got rid of it, all
worked.

=?Utf-8?B?S2ltIFtNU10=?=

Re: Networking Vista to XP - solved for me
You're both absolutely correct. If a firewall doesn't work with Vista, it
may have to be removed. To that end, the following is a link to all
applications that have earned the Vista logo and received certification to be
compatible with Vista: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/933305. If you don't
see your firewall listed there, then call your firewall vendor for more
information because it may be the cause of your issue.

However, the thrust of my comment was intended to convey that firewalls are
important, and must be enabled for security reasons. If you are running a
firewall that is logo'd to work with Vista, then you still may have to
manually configure your Vista logo'd firewall, since Vista won't punch
through firewalls -- even our own OneCare. Vista respects the settings of
your Vista logo'd firewall.

Thank you so much for all of your helpful information in this regard.