Can't authenticate on Mac connection...

=?Utf-8?B?SVdhbnRYUEJhY2s=?=

Can't authenticate on Mac connection...
I love my XP machine. I've got my Powertoys going on. I've got all sorts of
customizations that I've added over the last three years, but as I spend a
lot of time running Visual Studio to develop ASP.Net applications, I decided
to upgrade to a faster machine, and heck, why not "upgrade" to Vista while
I'm at it.

What a miserable mistake.

Aside from the general aggrivation of everything being in a new place on the
machine, I've spent hours just trying to get my Vista machine to find the
other two computers on my network. One is the old XP machine, which I'm still
using more often, just because it's more efficient with the Powertoys
customizations. The other computer is a Mac G4, which I use for my graphic
design applications (Adobe CS2).

Now, the XP machine and the G4 got along swimmingly until the Vista machine
showed up on the scene. I have managed to get the two Windows machines to
play nice together, but I absolutely cannot connect Vista to Mac. I get as
far as a "Connect to..." authentication pop-up (by typing
\\internalIP\MacName into a browser window) but for some incredibly annoying
reason, Vista keeps sticking its machine name in front of my Mac username
when I try to authenticate. XP doesn't do this, so I'm able to log in to the
Mac from XP just by using the Mac credentials. But retarded Vista insists on
sticking a domain name in front of the username when attempting to
authenticate.

It's 2:00am, and I'm too tired to keep screwing around with this. I managed
to get no work done as a result of ****ing around with my Norton 2007
settings until I could finally connect the two Windows machines (I had to
turn off the Norton firewall, which means I get to stare at an annoying,
angry Norton icon in the system tray, since it thinks I'm no longer secure).

I'm hoping that someone out there has managed to get their Vista machine
connected to a Mac running OSX 1.3 and can let me in on the secret.

I'm absolutely dumbfounded by Vista. I was expecting something like XP, only
slicker and more like a Mac. Instead I get a big headache every time I try do
something that really shouldn't be a hassle (don't even ask about installing
Visual Studio 2005 on Vista...).
Barb Bowman

Re: Can't authenticate on Mac connection...
see if
http://blogs.digitalmediaphile.com/b...Mac +OSX.aspx
helps. It took me a while to get my macbook pro and vista to play
nice together

--

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP
=?Utf-8?B?SVdhbnRYUEJhY2s=?=

Re: Can't authenticate on Mac connection...
Thanks for the information.

I have Vista Business.

I had no idea there were so many versions.

Does Vista Business behave like one of the versions you mentioned?

I'm loathe to start poking around in the registry, but if that's how
Microsoft expects to win over people who are already Mac owners...I guess
I'll have to do it.

"Barb Bowman" wrote:

> see if
> http://blogs.digitalmediaphile.com/b...Mac +OSX.aspx
> helps. It took me a while to get my macbook pro and vista to play
> nice together
>
> On Tue, 6 Mar 2007 02:18:41 -0800, IWantXPBack
> <IWantXPBack@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >I love my XP machine. I've got my Powertoys going on. I've got all sorts of
> >customizations that I've added over the last three years, but as I spend a
> >lot of time running Visual Studio to develop ASP.Net applications, I decided
> >to upgrade to a faster machine, and heck, why not "upgrade" to Vista while
> >I'm at it.
> >
> >What a miserable mistake.
> >
> >Aside from the general aggrivation of everything being in a new place on the
> >machine, I've spent hours just trying to get my Vista machine to find the
> >other two computers on my network. One is the old XP machine, which I'm still
> >using more often, just because it's more efficient with the Powertoys
> >customizations. The other computer is a Mac G4, which I use for my graphic
> >design applications (Adobe CS2).
> >
> >Now, the XP machine and the G4 got along swimmingly until the Vista machine
> >showed up on the scene. I have managed to get the two Windows machines to
> >play nice together, but I absolutely cannot connect Vista to Mac. I get as
> >far as a "Connect to..." authentication pop-up (by typing
> >\\internalIP\MacName into a browser window) but for some incredibly annoying
> >reason, Vista keeps sticking its machine name in front of my Mac username
> >when I try to authenticate. XP doesn't do this, so I'm able to log in to the
> >Mac from XP just by using the Mac credentials. But retarded Vista insists on
> >sticking a domain name in front of the username when attempting to
> >authenticate.
> >
> >It's 2:00am, and I'm too tired to keep screwing around with this. I managed
> >to get no work done as a result of ****ing around with my Norton 2007
> >settings until I could finally connect the two Windows machines (I had to
> >turn off the Norton firewall, which means I get to stare at an annoying,
> >angry Norton icon in the system tray, since it thinks I'm no longer secure).
> >
> >I'm hoping that someone out there has managed to get their Vista machine
> >connected to a Mac running OSX 1.3 and can let me in on the secret.
> >
> >I'm absolutely dumbfounded by Vista. I was expecting something like XP, only
> >slicker and more like a Mac. Instead I get a big headache every time I try do
> >something that really shouldn't be a hassle (don't even ask about installing
> >Visual Studio 2005 on Vista...).

> --
>
> Barb Bowman
> MS Windows-MVP

Barb Bowman

Re: Can't authenticate on Mac connection...
if you are on a domain, I don't know what this may do but I'd advise
against making changes if this is the case and asking your network
admin.

On Tue, 13 Mar 2007 20:35:03 -0700, IWantXPBack