NETWORK HELP!

=?Utf-8?B?U2Ftc2tp?=

NETWORK HELP!
Hey, just realised i put this in the wrong place... here is my original post,
pls help!

"
Hey i have just got new vista pc for my room to replace my old poo one. It
has belkin reciever to connect to our existing network. Main pc is xp and is
attached to belkin router. My old pc recieved internet and could connect to
the network to share files etc. In order to share files or folders we would
right click and click "network and sharing..." or whatever.

After entering the correct password for the network i found i have internet
(hence able to write this). However no network. Hey! I though, no problem ive
fixed my old pc plenty of time. So off i went to consult the network help.
Found things saying that files may take a while to pop up... waited...
nothing there. Then i found something saying that the workgroup names should
be the same on both pcs. My main pc had a different workgroup name so i have
now changed this pcs workgroup name to match. Also found that network
discovery needs to be on so turned that on aswell. I now have my own pc
appearing in the network folder (ie the vista pc appears to itself - woop
dee doo!). However the other is not there and the main pc does not see this
one...

Hope that explains my position, any more info needed pls ask...

Thanks

"
Keith D

Re: NETWORK HELP!
try this one

http://www.networkmagic.com/download/

> "
> Hey i have just got new vista pc for my room to replace my old poo one. It
> has belkin reciever to connect to our existing network. Main pc is xp and
> is
> attached to belkin router. My old pc recieved internet and could connect
> the network to share files etc. In order to share files or folders we
> would
> right click and click "network and sharing..." or whatever.
>
> After entering the correct password for the network i found i have
> internet
> (hence able to write this). However no network. Hey! I though, no problem
> ive
> fixed my old pc plenty of time. So off i went to consult the network help.
> Found things saying that files may take a while to pop up... waited...
> nothing there. Then i found something saying that the workgroup names
> should
> be the same on both pcs. My main pc had a different workgroup name so i
> have
> now changed this pcs workgroup name to match. Also found that network
> discovery needs to be on so turned that on aswell. I now have my own pc
> appearing in the network folder (ie the vista pc appears to itself - woop
> dee doo!). However the other is not there and the main pc does not see
> this
> one...
>
> Hope that explains my position, any more info needed pls ask...
>
> Thanks
>
> "

=?Utf-8?B?SVdhbnRYUEJhY2s=?=

Re: NETWORK HELP!

"Keith D" wrote:

> try this one
>

> http://www.networkmagic.com/download/

Nice plug for you company there, Keith.

Or, if your new computer also came with Norton 2007 installed, you could try
shutting off the firewall. I was having the exact same problem until I
disabled the Norton firewall (left the Windows Vista firewall active though).

Hope that helps, and that you aren't trying to connect to a Mac.
> > "
> > Hey i have just got new vista pc for my room to replace my old poo one. It
> > has belkin reciever to connect to our existing network. Main pc is xp and
> > is
> > attached to belkin router. My old pc recieved internet and could connect
> > the network to share files etc. In order to share files or folders we
> > would
> > right click and click "network and sharing..." or whatever.
> >
> > After entering the correct password for the network i found i have
> > internet
> > (hence able to write this). However no network. Hey! I though, no problem
> > ive
> > fixed my old pc plenty of time. So off i went to consult the network help.
> > Found things saying that files may take a while to pop up... waited...
> > nothing there. Then i found something saying that the workgroup names
> > should
> > be the same on both pcs. My main pc had a different workgroup name so i
> > have
> > now changed this pcs workgroup name to match. Also found that network
> > discovery needs to be on so turned that on aswell. I now have my own pc
> > appearing in the network folder (ie the vista pc appears to itself - woop
> > dee doo!). However the other is not there and the main pc does not see
> > this
> > one...
> >
> > Hope that explains my position, any more info needed pls ask...
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > "

Keith D

further : NETWORK HELP!

>> http://www.networkmagic.com/download/
>>

> Nice plug for you company there, Keith.
>
> Or, if your new computer also came with Norton 2007 installed, you could
> try
> shutting off the firewall. I was having the exact same problem until I
> disabled the Norton firewall (left the Windows Vista firewall active
> though).
>
> Hope that helps, and that you aren't trying to connect to a Mac.

Oh well there is always one around

sorry

1] 63 years old and retired

2] never owned my own company ever not many individuals do own banks

3] never tried to write a computer programme in my life

4] had Vista 6 hours after it was released here in UK
found hassle within 2 hours

5] took microsoft tec department 6 hours over 2 days to sort out

6] disabling norton ---- sorry never had norton
here in uk some ISP services provide a better service than norton

FREE

http://www.virginmedia.com/customers...stomersecurity

7] it was not me who started the thread so no advise needed here

8] if you read the messages on here you will find that networkmagic was
mentioned long
before i did

thats where i got it from

problem is many just cry help without reading the messages

cheers for now

Keith D.

=?Utf-8?B?U2Ftc2tp?=

Re: NETWORK HELP!
yes i have 2007 norton too... i have found that briefly shutting off the
firewall will get it working. then ican turn it on again and it is fine...
however whenever i have shut down the pc i have to start again. Another
problem i am haviong is that even when my firewal is off and i access the
other pc (by searching) it takes ages (and often never) to appear in the
network folder...

"IWantXPBack" wrote:

> "Keith D" wrote:
>
> > try this one
> >

> > http://www.networkmagic.com/download/
> >

> Nice plug for you company there, Keith.
>
> Or, if your new computer also came with Norton 2007 installed, you could try
> shutting off the firewall. I was having the exact same problem until I
> disabled the Norton firewall (left the Windows Vista firewall active though).
>
> Hope that helps, and that you aren't trying to connect to a Mac.
> > > "
> > > Hey i have just got new vista pc for my room to replace my old poo one. It
> > > has belkin reciever to connect to our existing network. Main pc is xp and
> > > is
> > > attached to belkin router. My old pc recieved internet and could connect
> > > the network to share files etc. In order to share files or folders we
> > > would
> > > right click and click "network and sharing..." or whatever.
> > >
> > > After entering the correct password for the network i found i have
> > > internet
> > > (hence able to write this). However no network. Hey! I though, no problem
> > > ive
> > > fixed my old pc plenty of time. So off i went to consult the network help.
> > > Found things saying that files may take a while to pop up... waited...
> > > nothing there. Then i found something saying that the workgroup names
> > > should
> > > be the same on both pcs. My main pc had a different workgroup name so i
> > > have
> > > now changed this pcs workgroup name to match. Also found that network
> > > discovery needs to be on so turned that on aswell. I now have my own pc
> > > appearing in the network folder (ie the vista pc appears to itself - woop
> > > dee doo!). However the other is not there and the main pc does not see
> > > this
> > > one...
> > >
> > > Hope that explains my position, any more info needed pls ask...
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > >
> > > "

=?Utf-8?B?U2Ftc2tp?=

Re: NETWORK HELP!
all fixed now ppls thanks for the help. here is a copy of the fix if you have
same prob as me:

"Have you configured Norton so that it allows network discovery and file &
printer sharing to take place seamlessly? If not, can you please try these
steps?

<Instructions referenced from one of Dr.Stretch' posts to this newsgroup but
edited for your case>
1. Open your Norton or, other Virus program
(I have NIS 2007 on Vista & NIS 2006 on XP) they both look the same.
2. Expand the Setting Tab
3. Under Web Browsing, click Personal Firewall
4. Click Configure, then if you are (Admin. click continue)
5. Goto Advance Settings (on side menu)
6. Click Configure
7. You are there (Do you notice all the RED arrows)
8. Choose any selection that has the word either "sharing" or NetBIOS
9. Click Modify and choose Allow (or equivalent)

Repeat steps 8 & 9 for every such selection.

Please note that one firewall (either Windows or any 3rd party) must be
enabled at any time for security purposes.

Thanks,
Sen.
"

hope this helps...

"Samski" wrote:

> yes i have 2007 norton too... i have found that briefly shutting off the
> firewall will get it working. then ican turn it on again and it is fine...
> however whenever i have shut down the pc i have to start again. Another
> problem i am haviong is that even when my firewal is off and i access the
> other pc (by searching) it takes ages (and often never) to appear in the
> network folder...
>
> "IWantXPBack" wrote:
>

> > "Keith D" wrote:
> >
> > > try this one
> > >

> > > http://www.networkmagic.com/download/
> > >

> > Nice plug for you company there, Keith.
> >
> > Or, if your new computer also came with Norton 2007 installed, you could try
> > shutting off the firewall. I was having the exact same problem until I
> > disabled the Norton firewall (left the Windows Vista firewall active though).
> >
> > Hope that helps, and that you aren't trying to connect to a Mac.

Michael A. Bishop \(MSFT\)

Re: NETWORK HELP!
From that, it's sounding like when you turn the firewall off, the other
computers see the name-IP association and remember it. That means you
probably need to open up the appropriate ports in Norton so that discovery
can take place as needed.