Vista drives not accessable by XP

=?Utf-8?B?U2lncmlk?=

Vista drives not accessable by XP
One of the 5 computers in our Home Network got upgraded to Vista Ultimate
64-bit.
It it possible from this "new" computer to go into all drives/folders on all
the other computers in the Network.
The other computers are able to see the new Vista computer and the shared
drives as well as the shared "Public" drive. But we can only get into the
Public folder and it's sub-folders. As soon as we click on one of the other
shared drives on the Vista computer (drives D, E and F) we get the message
"... is not accessable. You might not have permission to use this network
resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have
access permissions. Access is denied."
We've tried to turn off the Firewall - but without avail.
There are checkmarks at the LLTD in the Local Area Connection Properties.

We can work with the network from the Vista computer but not vice versa.
We have no problems with the network within the other computers running on
XP - they're still accessable and everything works smooth.

Any idea or help would be highly appreaciated.
Many thanks in advance.
Sigrid

=?Utf-8?B?U2VuIFtNU0ZUXQ==?=

RE: Vista drives not accessable by XP
Sigrid,
You may want to take a look at this article
"http://www.microsoft.com/technet/network/evaluate/vista_fp.mspx", especially
the section titled "Folder Security and Share Permissions".
It appears as if "Folder security" for drives has not been set correctly.

Thanks,
Sen.

"Sigrid" wrote:

> One of the 5 computers in our Home Network got upgraded to Vista Ultimate
> 64-bit.
> It it possible from this "new" computer to go into all drives/folders on all
> the other computers in the Network.
> The other computers are able to see the new Vista computer and the shared
> drives as well as the shared "Public" drive. But we can only get into the
> Public folder and it's sub-folders. As soon as we click on one of the other
> shared drives on the Vista computer (drives D, E and F) we get the message
> "... is not accessable. You might not have permission to use this network
> resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have
> access permissions. Access is denied."
> We've tried to turn off the Firewall - but without avail.
> There are checkmarks at the LLTD in the Local Area Connection Properties.
>
> We can work with the network from the Vista computer but not vice versa.
> We have no problems with the network within the other computers running on
> XP - they're still accessable and everything works smooth.
>
> Any idea or help would be highly appreaciated.
> Many thanks in advance.
> Sigrid

=?Utf-8?B?U2lncmlk?=

RE: Vista drives not accessable by XP
Sen,

Thank you so very much for your info and link.

Under "Folder Security and Share Permissions" it was the words "... will be
using the Guest account, which is not a member of the Users group." that
helped us a lot! We added a Guest acccount to the "Group and user names" in
the Security tab of the Properties of each shared drive on the Vista computer
and that did the job!
Now we can access all shared drives and folders in the Vista computer from
all the XP Home computers in our network.

Again many, many thanks for your help!!!

Sigrid