Local Area Connection > Local Only

Phil H.

Local Area Connection > Local Only
Windows Vista w/ Norton Protection Center.
Multiple times while T/Sing Non Connection issues w/o router I have run into
where the Local Area connection states the connection is 'Local Only' and the
PC will not let go to the APIPA (Automatic Private IP Address)
Release and renew does not create any errors though will not let go of the
APIPA
Disabled Norton Protection Center, also removed it from msconfig
Disabled Windows Firewall all together
The DHCP is seing the Proper MAC for my NIC, and is assigning an IP Address
Disabled IPv6 and only had IPv4
Even Rebuilt TCP/IP
Though every time the Local area connection states Local Only and the PC
will not release the APIPA.

Questions:
Are these 2 things related and, if so, which is dependent on the other?
(I.E. is the computer not accepting the IP because the PC is set
to local only, or is it displaying local only because it has an APIPA)
How to resolve the causing factor (or factors if issue are not related)?

Thank you for any assistance in this matter.
Phil H.

RE: Local Area Connection > Local Only
To add, I have also had vista computers that do properly accept the DHCP
assigned IP address and can ping out, but still cannot access web pages or IM
programs cannot obtain an connection, no Firewalls, and I cannot ping the IP
that the Local Area connection still states 'Local only '

"Phil H." wrote:

> Windows Vista w/ Norton Protection Center.
> Multiple times while T/Sing Non Connection issues w/o router I have run into
> where the Local Area connection states the connection is 'Local Only' and the
> PC will not let go to the APIPA (Automatic Private IP Address)
> Release and renew does not create any errors though will not let go of the
> APIPA
> Disabled Norton Protection Center, also removed it from msconfig
> Disabled Windows Firewall all together
> The DHCP is seing the Proper MAC for my NIC, and is assigning an IP Address
> Disabled IPv6 and only had IPv4
> Even Rebuilt TCP/IP
> Though every time the Local area connection states Local Only and the PC
> will not release the APIPA.
>
> Questions:
> Are these 2 things related and, if so, which is dependent on the other?
> (I.E. is the computer not accepting the IP because the PC is set
> to local only, or is it displaying local only because it has an APIPA)
> How to resolve the causing factor (or factors if issue are not related)?
>
> Thank you for any assistance in this matter.

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Local Area Connection > Local Only
When you said you "can ping out", do you mean ping yahoo.com works? Also
post back with the result of ipconfig /all may help.

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

"Phil H." <PhilH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Windows Vista w/ Norton Protection Center.
> Multiple times while T/Sing Non Connection issues w/o router I have run
> into
> where the Local Area connection states the connection is 'Local Only' and
> the
> PC will not let go to the APIPA (Automatic Private IP Address)
> Release and renew does not create any errors though will not let go of the
> APIPA
> Disabled Norton Protection Center, also removed it from msconfig
> Disabled Windows Firewall all together
> The DHCP is seing the Proper MAC for my NIC, and is assigning an IP
> Address
> Disabled IPv6 and only had IPv4
> Even Rebuilt TCP/IP
> Though every time the Local area connection states Local Only and the PC
> will not release the APIPA.
>
> Questions:
> Are these 2 things related and, if so, which is dependent on the
> other?
> (I.E. is the computer not accepting the IP because the PC is set
> to local only, or is it displaying local only because it has an APIPA)
> How to resolve the causing factor (or factors if issue are not
> related)?
>
> Thank you for any assistance in this matter.

Phil H.

Re: Local Area Connection > Local Only
Can Ping both other IP addresses and FQDN's (yahoo.com)
Dont have any specific example at the moment, but the IPConfig was normal.
(I work Tech Support, just have ran into this multiple times)