Home Network: can only access media, cannot share printer & files

Stitch in time

Home Network: can only access media, cannot share printer & files
I have a new Acer Aspire Desktop with Vista Home Premium and a Acer Satellite
Notebook with the same OS. I have followed all the suggested settings to
share files and printer, but the only thing being shared is media. I can see
the desktop on the map of my connections, but not when I vew computers and
devices. I'm using ATT DSL with a 2wire 2701 modem with integrated router.
I have tried opening ports and taking down all the firewalls just to see if
that would help. ATT said it's not the router and Acer hasn't responded yet.
I tried downloading something called "Network Magic" and it couldn't find my
router, so that was a waste of time. I'm sure this is just a setting, but I
can't figure it out. What am I doing wrong? B y the way, I have no idea what
I'm doing. I'm a stay at home mom and all I want to do is be able to print
from the laptop on a home network, without having to leave my daugther in
another room. I've been searching the net for 48 hours trying to get a
solution to what was not a problem when I had 2 HP's on a XP os. Where is the
"wizard" to simplify my life?
Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Home Network: can only access media, cannot share printer & files
Assuming you have enabled file sharing, have you assign permissions in the
Security tab? Or this search result may help,

Vista Permission IssuesCan I assume the external drive used to be connecting
to other computer and you just re-connect it the the Vista? Check the
permission using this command: . ...
www.chicagotech.net/vista/vistapermission.htm

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

"Stitch in time" <Stitchintime@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a new Acer Aspire Desktop with Vista Home Premium and a Acer
>Satellite
> Notebook with the same OS. I have followed all the suggested settings to
> share files and printer, but the only thing being shared is media. I can
> see
> the desktop on the map of my connections, but not when I vew computers and
> devices. I'm using ATT DSL with a 2wire 2701 modem with integrated
> router.
> I have tried opening ports and taking down all the firewalls just to see
> if
> that would help. ATT said it's not the router and Acer hasn't responded
> yet.
> I tried downloading something called "Network Magic" and it couldn't find
> my
> router, so that was a waste of time. I'm sure this is just a setting, but
> can't figure it out. What am I doing wrong? B y the way, I have no idea
> what
> I'm doing. I'm a stay at home mom and all I want to do is be able to
> print
> from the laptop on a home network, without having to leave my daugther in
> another room. I've been searching the net for 48 hours trying to get a
> solution to what was not a problem when I had 2 HP's on a XP os. Where is
> the
> "wizard" to simplify my life?

Stitch in time

Re: Home Network: can only access media, cannot share printer & fi
Your assumptions are correct.

I checked the link you sent...could see the answer to my problem.

MORE INFO: If I got to network and sharing and click on "view map" I can see
my desktop from notebook. But If I click on desktop, right click 'open' I
get the following error message: " cannot communicate with desktop (address).
network diagnostics pinged the remote host but did not receive a response.
Contact ISP or network admin. ISP not helpful. what should me settings be?
What do I need to allow? I thought I knew, but I don't.

"Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> Assuming you have enabled file sharing, have you assign permissions in the
> Security tab? Or this search result may help,
>
> Vista Permission IssuesCan I assume the external drive used to be connecting
> to other computer and you just re-connect it the the Vista? Check the
> permission using this command: . ...
> www.chicagotech.net/vista/vistapermission.htm
>

> --
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>

> "Stitch in time" <Stitchintime@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have a new Acer Aspire Desktop with Vista Home Premium and a Acer
> >Satellite
> > Notebook with the same OS. I have followed all the suggested settings to
> > share files and printer, but the only thing being shared is media. I can
> > see
> > the desktop on the map of my connections, but not when I vew computers and
> > devices. I'm using ATT DSL with a 2wire 2701 modem with integrated
> > router.
> > I have tried opening ports and taking down all the firewalls just to see
> > if
> > that would help. ATT said it's not the router and Acer hasn't responded
> > yet.
> > I tried downloading something called "Network Magic" and it couldn't find
> > my
> > router, so that was a waste of time. I'm sure this is just a setting, but
> > can't figure it out. What am I doing wrong? B y the way, I have no idea
> > what
> > I'm doing. I'm a stay at home mom and all I want to do is be able to
> > print
> > from the laptop on a home network, without having to leave my daugther in
> > another room. I've been searching the net for 48 hours trying to get a
> > solution to what was not a problem when I had 2 HP's on a XP os. Where is
> > the
> > "wizard" to simplify my life?

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Home Network: can only access media, cannot share printer & fi
If this the LAN, I don't see any issues with the ISP. Can you net view the
remote computer by using net view \\remotepcipadderss? If not, what's the
system error?

--

> [...]
>> > responded
>> > yet.
>> > I tried downloading something called "Network Magic" and it couldn't
>> > find
>> > my
>> > router, so that was a waste of time. I'm sure this is just a setting,
>> > but
>> > can't figure it out. What am I doing wrong? B y the way, I have no
>> > idea
>> > what
>> > I'm doing. I'm a stay at home mom and all I want to do is be able to
>> > print
>> > from the laptop on a home network, without having to leave my daugther
>> > in
>> > another room. I've been searching the net for 48 hours trying to get a
>> > solution to what was not a problem when I had 2 HP's on a XP os. Where

Stitch in time

Re: Home Network: can only access media, cannot share printer & fi
I know this is simple check of a few boxes, I just CANNOT figure out where
the problem is.

From the laptop:This is a wireless Network Connection. I tried what you said
and the error message was the same as above:

" cannot communicate with desktop (address).
network diagnostics pinged the remote host but did not receive a response."

From the desktop: I can see the laptop and see shared files only if I sign
in as a guest. As a guest, though, I can't access the files:

Error message: "\\Laptop\user is not accessible. you might not have
permission to use this network resource."

"Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> If this the LAN, I don't see any issues with the ISP. Can you net view the
> remote computer by using net view \\remotepcipadderss? If not, what's the
> system error?
>
> --
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>

> "Stitch in time" <Stitchintime@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Your assumptions are correct.
> >
> > I checked the link you sent...could see the answer to my problem.
> >
> > MORE INFO: If I got to network and sharing and click on "view map" I can
> > see
> > my desktop from notebook. But If I click on desktop, right click 'open' I
> > get the following error message: " cannot communicate with desktop
> > (address).
> > network diagnostics pinged the remote host but did not receive a response.
> > Contact ISP or network admin. ISP not helpful. what should me settings
> > be?
> > What do I need to allow? I thought I knew, but I don't.
> >
> > "Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:
> >
> >> Assuming you have enabled file sharing, have you assign permissions in
> >> the
> >> Security tab? Or this search result may help,
> >>
> >> Vista Permission IssuesCan I assume the external drive used to be
> >> connecting
> >> to other computer and you just re-connect it the the Vista? Check the
> >> permission using this command: . ...
> >> www.chicagotech.net/vista/vistapermission.htm
> >>

> >> --
> >> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> >> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> >> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
> >>

> >> "Stitch in time" <Stitchintime@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> >> message

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Home Network: can only access media, cannot share printer & fi
Make sure you have assigned permissions in the Security tab. Or this search