Networking two Vista computers

Larry S.

Networking two Vista computers
I have been trying to connect my desktop and laptop, both running on Vista
Home Premium. They are connected through a shared router, with the desktop
connected by Ethernet and the laptop through wireless. They have different
computer names, but the same workgroup and I use the same login and password
for both.

Currently, my laptop recognizes my desktop, and I can get into my documents
on the desktop through my laptop, but my desktop does not acknowledge the
laptop, and only shows itself when I look under network. I can get into the
router from either computer, as well as into a network drive coming off the
router, and they both can access the Internet through the router. As far as
I can see, they have the same settings, so I am at a loss as to what might be
going on that the connection is only recognized in one direction. Any
suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
--
Larry S
Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Networking two Vista computers
Can you ping the laptop by IP?

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

"Larry S." <LarryS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have been trying to connect my desktop and laptop, both running on Vista
> Home Premium. They are connected through a shared router, with the
> desktop
> connected by Ethernet and the laptop through wireless. They have
> different
> computer names, but the same workgroup and I use the same login and
> password
> for both.
>
> Currently, my laptop recognizes my desktop, and I can get into my
> documents
> on the desktop through my laptop, but my desktop does not acknowledge the
> laptop, and only shows itself when I look under network. I can get into
> the
> router from either computer, as well as into a network drive coming off
> the
> router, and they both can access the Internet through the router. As far
> as
> I can see, they have the same settings, so I am at a loss as to what might
> be
> going on that the connection is only recognized in one direction. Any
> suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
> --
> Larry S

Stitch in time

"Larry S." wrote:

> I have been trying to connect my desktop and laptop, both running on Vista
> Home Premium. They are connected through a shared router, with the desktop
> connected by Ethernet and the laptop through wireless. They have different
> computer names, but the same workgroup and I use the same login and password
> for both.
>
> Currently, my laptop recognizes my desktop, and I can get into my documents
> on the desktop through my laptop, but my desktop does not acknowledge the
> laptop, and only shows itself when I look under network. I can get into the
> router from either computer, as well as into a network drive coming off the
> router, and they both can access the Internet through the router. As far as
> I can see, they have the same settings, so I am at a loss as to what might be
> going on that the connection is only recognized in one direction. Any
> suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
> --
> Larry S

I am having the exact same problem...in fact everytime i try to set up a
wireless router or access point, the wizard takes me to my routers
configuration address. What am I supposed to do there? The network is
already named and the security is already set. If you get any answers, I
would love some help.
Tanks

RE: Networking two Vista computers
Hi Larry,
Are you running a firewall on either machine? It could be a case of opening
some ports to allow Vista Discovery to work. Look here:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...7037.aspx#EBAA

HTH.
Paul.