Vista can't find my modem

LDL

Vista can't find my modem
I can't connect to internet by Windows Vista. I tried to establish a dial-up
connection, but Windows Vista can't find the modem. Even by giving the
dial-up number and other login info, I can't connect to internet. Vista and
XP are on different local disk and I can contact you with XP. I'm not sure
what the modem is exactly (broadband, WWIS, DSL, etc.), it's a phone line
modem with a speed of 56 kbps.
Malke

Re: Vista can't find my modem
LDL wrote:
> I can't connect to internet by Windows Vista. I tried to establish a dial-up
> connection, but Windows Vista can't find the modem. Even by giving the
> dial-up number and other login info, I can't connect to internet. Vista and
> XP are on different local disk and I can contact you with XP. I'm not sure
> what the modem is exactly (broadband, WWIS, DSL, etc.), it's a phone line
> modem with a speed of 56 kbps.

A phone line modem means you have a dialup connection. Since you
apparently installed Vista yourself in a dual-boot, you need to get
Vista drivers for your modem. Get them from the modem mftr.'s website.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
LDL

Re: Vista can't find my modem
Where is the mftr's website? I'm not sure, I'll find it.

"Malke" wrote:

> LDL wrote:
> > I can't connect to internet by Windows Vista. I tried to establish a dial-up
> > connection, but Windows Vista can't find the modem. Even by giving the
> > dial-up number and other login info, I can't connect to internet. Vista and
> > XP are on different local disk and I can contact you with XP. I'm not sure
> > what the modem is exactly (broadband, WWIS, DSL, etc.), it's a phone line
> > modem with a speed of 56 kbps.

> A phone line modem means you have a dialup connection. Since you
> apparently installed Vista yourself in a dual-boot, you need to get
> Vista drivers for your modem. Get them from the modem mftr.'s website.
>

> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Malke

Re: Vista can't find my modem
LDL wrote:
> Where is the mftr's website? I'm not sure, I'll find it.

General information about drivers:

Never get drivers from Windows Update. Get them from:

1. The device mftr.'s website; OR
2. The motherboard mftr.'s website if hardware is onboard; OR
3. The OEM's website for your specific machine if you have an OEM
computer (HP, Dell, Sony, etc.).

Read the installation instructions on the website where you get the drivers.

To find out what hardware is in your computer:

1. Read any documentation you got when you bought the computer.
2. If the computer is OEM, go to the OEM's website for your specific
model machine and look at the specs (you'll be there to get the drivers
anyway)
3. Download, install and run a free system inventory program like Belarc
Advisor or System Information for Windows.

http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html - Belarc Advisor
http://www.gtopala.com/ - System Information for Windows

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
LDL

Re: Vista can't find my modem
Then, I hope that the advisor will help me to update my driver. Thanks for
your help. At least, I know that behind my modem, there's a driver.