Vista will not access Microsoft

Maverick Scot

Vista will not access Microsoft
Four days ago, I purchased a brand new Acer laptop with Vista Home Premium
pre-installed. I registerd the MAC address on my wireless LAN (using a
Draytek Vigor 2600We router. I can reach quite a lot of websites either
through IE or Opera, but cannot reach Microsoft, Google, Yahoo, Symantec and
others.
My laptop has 3Gb of RAM and an Intel core duo processor so it is more than
adequate.

I have never used Vista prior to this and have had absolutely no problems
with my former laptop (now defunct) and other visitors laptops using XP Pro.

It is most frustrating can you help please?

BurrWalnut

RE: Vista will not access Microsoft
Read about MTU settings, here http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/MTU.htm

"Maverick Scot" wrote:

> Four days ago, I purchased a brand new Acer laptop with Vista Home Premium
> pre-installed. I registerd the MAC address on my wireless LAN (using a
> Draytek Vigor 2600We router. I can reach quite a lot of websites either
> through IE or Opera, but cannot reach Microsoft, Google, Yahoo, Symantec and
> others.
> My laptop has 3Gb of RAM and an Intel core duo processor so it is more than
> adequate.
>
> I have never used Vista prior to this and have had absolutely no problems
> with my former laptop (now defunct) and other visitors laptops using XP Pro.
>
> It is most frustrating can you help please?

Maverick Scot

RE: Vista will not access Microsoft
Thank you for the information, I will look into it an come back.

"BurrWalnut" wrote:

> Read about MTU settings, here http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/MTU.htm
>

> "Maverick Scot" wrote:
>
> > Four days ago, I purchased a brand new Acer laptop with Vista Home Premium
> > pre-installed. I registerd the MAC address on my wireless LAN (using a
> > Draytek Vigor 2600We router. I can reach quite a lot of websites either
> > through IE or Opera, but cannot reach Microsoft, Google, Yahoo, Symantec and
> > others.
> > My laptop has 3Gb of RAM and an Intel core duo processor so it is more than
> > adequate.
> >
> > I have never used Vista prior to this and have had absolutely no problems
> > with my former laptop (now defunct) and other visitors laptops using XP Pro.
> >
> > It is most frustrating can you help please?

Charlie

Re: Vista will not access Microsoft
Check for new firmware for your router.
"Maverick Scot" <MaverickScot@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Four days ago, I purchased a brand new Acer laptop with Vista Home Premium
> pre-installed. I registerd the MAC address on my wireless LAN (using a
> Draytek Vigor 2600We router. I can reach quite a lot of websites either
> through IE or Opera, but cannot reach Microsoft, Google, Yahoo, Symantec
> and
> others.
> My laptop has 3Gb of RAM and an Intel core duo processor so it is more
> than
> adequate.
>
> I have never used Vista prior to this and have had absolutely no problems
> with my former laptop (now defunct) and other visitors laptops using XP
> Pro.
>
> It is most frustrating can you help please?

scsa20

Re: Vista will not access Microsoft

Try the following:

1) Disable any firewalls, if this doesn't work, move on
2) If you're using wireless, disable the wireless radio and hook your
laptop directory to the router with the ethernet, if that works then
there's something wrong with your wireless adapter.
3) If you don't have an extra ethernet cable or don't want to hook it
up via the ethernet or you did hooked it up via the ethernet and didn't
work, then disable the wireless security of your router and connect to
your wireless router without any security. If you're able to browse to
those sites then, then there's something wrong with your wireless
adapter.
4) If either 2 or 3 works, try updating the drivers of your wireless
adapter, if either 2 or 3 doesn't work, try updaing the firmware of your
wireless router.

Cheers.

--
scsa20
Maverick Scot

RE: Vista will not access Microsoft
I have tried to tweakig the MTU, but this has not solved the problems.

"Maverick Scot" wrote:

> Thank you for the information, I will look into it an come back.
>
> "BurrWalnut" wrote:
>
> > Read about MTU settings, here http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/MTU.htm
> >

> > "Maverick Scot" wrote:
> >
> > > Four days ago, I purchased a brand new Acer laptop with Vista Home Premium
> > > pre-installed. I registerd the MAC address on my wireless LAN (using a
> > > Draytek Vigor 2600We router. I can reach quite a lot of websites either
> > > through IE or Opera, but cannot reach Microsoft, Google, Yahoo, Symantec and
> > > others.
> > > My laptop has 3Gb of RAM and an Intel core duo processor so it is more than
> > > adequate.
> > >
> > > I have never used Vista prior to this and have had absolutely no problems
> > > with my former laptop (now defunct) and other visitors laptops using XP Pro.
> > >
> > > It is most frustrating can you help please?

Maverick Scot

Re: Vista will not access Microsoft
Thank you, I will do that and come back

"Charlie" wrote:

> Check for new firmware for your router.
> "Maverick Scot" <MaverickScot@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Four days ago, I purchased a brand new Acer laptop with Vista Home Premium
> > pre-installed. I registerd the MAC address on my wireless LAN (using a
> > Draytek Vigor 2600We router. I can reach quite a lot of websites either
> > through IE or Opera, but cannot reach Microsoft, Google, Yahoo, Symantec
> > and
> > others.
> > My laptop has 3Gb of RAM and an Intel core duo processor so it is more
> > than
> > adequate.
> >
> > I have never used Vista prior to this and have had absolutely no problems
> > with my former laptop (now defunct) and other visitors laptops using XP
> > Pro.
> >
> > It is most frustrating can you help please?

Maverick Scot

Re: Vista will not access Microsoft
Thank you, I am in the process of doing that and will come back