Networking Vista with XP machine

NEWCOMPS

Networking Vista with XP machine
Trying to network a Vista laptop with an xp desktop. Want to share files and
printer on the xp machine. I have downloaded and installed LLTD as suggested
by others. Still unable to see the xp machine on the Vista map. Vista is
running Norton 360 and the XP is running Norton Antivirus, latest version

any suggestions or help is appreciated
Chuck [MVP]

Re: Networking Vista with XP machine
On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 07:01:03 -0800, NEWCOMPS
<NEWCOMPS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Trying to network a Vista laptop with an xp desktop. Want to share files and
>printer on the xp machine. I have downloaded and installed LLTD as suggested
>by others. Still unable to see the xp machine on the Vista map. Vista is
>running Norton 360 and the XP is running Norton Antivirus, latest version
>
>any suggestions or help is appreciated

Are you talking about the "Network Map", or "Network"? They are two different
objects.

The Network Map is supposed to be self sufficient, only requiring the LLTD
Responder on Windows XP (and not available for Windows 2000 or earlier).

When you look at "Network" and don't see other computers, you've generally got a
problem with a personal firewall or other security program. Norton has an
anti-worm that you also should check.
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/your-personal-firewall-can-either-help.html>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...ther-help.html

Then go through the other issues involved with networking with a computer
running Windows Vista.

Cheers,
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
My email is AT DOT
actual address pchuck mvps org.
Mick Murphy

RE: Networking Vista with XP machine

How to give Permissions are there, too.
If you are running Norton, etc’s Firewall, check its settings.

the SAME.

In Vista Network and Sharing:

File Sharing: ON

Docs)

from an XP computer.

"Chuck [MVP]" wrote:

> On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 07:01:03 -0800, NEWCOMPS
> <NEWCOMPS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Trying to network a Vista laptop with an xp desktop. Want to share files and
> >printer on the xp machine. I have downloaded and installed LLTD as suggested
> >by others. Still unable to see the xp machine on the Vista map. Vista is
> >running Norton 360 and the XP is running Norton Antivirus, latest version
> >
> >any suggestions or help is appreciated

> Are you talking about the "Network Map", or "Network"? They are two different
> objects.
>
> The Network Map is supposed to be self sufficient, only requiring the LLTD
> Responder on Windows XP (and not available for Windows 2000 or earlier).
>
> When you look at "Network" and don't see other computers, you've generally got a
> problem with a personal firewall or other security program. Norton has an
> anti-worm that you also should check.
> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/your-personal-firewall-can-either-help.html>
> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...ther-help.html
>
> Then go through the other issues involved with networking with a computer
> running Windows Vista.
> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/12/windows-xp-and-vista-on-lan-together.html>
> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/1...-together.html
>
> --
> Cheers,
> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
> My email is AT DOT
> actual address pchuck mvps org.

When I look at Network on the Vista machine, the xp machine does not show.
If I go to the network map it is there but I cannot do anything with it. I
need to be able to print from the vista machine to a shared hp printer on the
xp desktop. I would also like to be able to access shared files both ways.
Chuck [MVP]

Re: Networking Vista with XP machine
On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 13:04:02 -0800, NEWCOMPS
<NEWCOMPS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>"Chuck [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 07:01:03 -0800, NEWCOMPS
>> <NEWCOMPS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> >Trying to network a Vista laptop with an xp desktop. Want to share files and
>> >printer on the xp machine. I have downloaded and installed LLTD as suggested
>> >by others. Still unable to see the xp machine on the Vista map. Vista is
>> >running Norton 360 and the XP is running Norton Antivirus, latest version
>> >
>> >any suggestions or help is appreciated

>> Are you talking about the "Network Map", or "Network"? They are two different
>> objects.
>>
>> The Network Map is supposed to be self sufficient, only requiring the LLTD
>> Responder on Windows XP (and not available for Windows 2000 or earlier).
>>
>> When you look at "Network" and don't see other computers, you've generally got a
>> problem with a personal firewall or other security program. Norton has an
>> anti-worm that you also should check.
>> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/your-personal-firewall-can-either-help.html>
>> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...ther-help.html
>>
>> Then go through the other issues involved with networking with a computer
>> running Windows Vista.
>> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/12/windows-xp-and-vista-on-lan-together.html>
>> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/1...-together.html
>>
>> --
>> Cheers,
>> Chuck, MS-MVP 2005-2007 [Windows - Networking]
>> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
>> Paranoia is not a problem, when it's a normal response from experience.
>> My email is AT DOT
>> actual address pchuck mvps org.
>>

>When I look at Network on the Vista machine, the xp machine does not show.
>If I go to the network map it is there but I cannot do anything with it. I
>need to be able to print from the vista machine to a shared hp printer on the
>xp desktop. I would also like to be able to access shared files both ways.

The "Network Map" uses LLTD, which isn't the same as SMBs over NetBT. Read
about the problem, please.

Cheers,
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
My email is AT DOT
actual address pchuck mvps org.
Jeong

RE: Networking Vista with XP machine
I did everything in the Vista Help and MS Help but it doesn't work, but I
got an idea from this forum that it's relted personal firewall setting so I
checked my Norton personal firewall setting and in 'Advanced Setting'-
Configuration' under the personal firewall , I found the 'Default inbound
NetBios' and 'Default inbound NetBios name' are blocked so I mofify it as a
'Allow' and save and then it works fine.

Good Luck !

Thomas