Vista slow to reestablish network after wake from sleep

turnstyle

Vista slow to reestablish network after wake from sleep
Hi all,

I've noticed that my new Vista box is slow to reestablish networking
after it wakes from sleep.

For example, if I put it to sleep, wake it, and then visit a site, IE
just spins. However, if I wait a bit and try again, everything works.
On my XP and Win2000 boxes, as soon as it wakes, I can immediately do
stuff.

Do others have a similar problem? Is there anything I can do to fix
that?

Thanks! -Scott
ClemSnide

Re: Vista slow to reestablish network after wake from sleep

I have the same problem, even though my "sleep" consists of shutting off
the display only. It generally takes between 1-5 minutes for Windows
Vista x64 to reconnect to any network devices.

My solution is to use my Macintosh in the meantime (it's a Motorola
dual processor running OSX 10.3), but I like to play World of Warcraft
on the Windows box, so I hope the Windows problem can be solved.

--
ClemSnide
ClemSnide

Re: Vista slow to reestablish network after wake from sleep

Scott-- I found that turning off -all -the sleep options, -including
shutting down the display-, solved the problem.

All I had had checked under Power Options was "Turn off the display
after 30 minutes." All of the advanced power settings were "Never," or
"Maximum performance," or words to that effect. (I still have the hard
drive spin down after 20 minutes, but that isn't a Power Option,
although it should be. I forget exactly where that setting is.) And when
I touched the mouse or keyboard to turn the monitor back on, the
computer would generally take 1-10 minutes to reestablish a network
connection, including printers, network attached storage devices, and
other computers.

So, I rtied setting the display option to "Never" (turn off the
display), and that worked! The network remains up whenever I need it. Of
course, I have to remember to manually turn off the display, the way we
used to do it under Windows 3.1, something they don't mention in those
"I found a computer for $1500 and it's a PC" ads.

Hope this kludge helps you.

--
ClemSnide
turbostreak

Re: Vista slow to reestablish network after wake from sleep

Try this:

Go to your network connections. Right click on your wireless network
connection. Then click properties. under the box that says 'This
Connection Uses The Following Items' click on Internet Protocol Version
4 and click use the following IP Address. Then choose one not on your
network. If you need your default gateway go to command prompt and type
ipconfig.

--
turbostreak