wireless network printer offline

Mike P

wireless network printer offline
I have a wireless network printer connected (via wireless) to our new Vista
laptop computer. Everything works fine when the print drivers are first
installed. However, after the computer goes into sleep mode, the printer
status shows up as “offline”. After reading some posts here, I have even
tried a complete reboot of the system, but that does not work. The only
solution seems to be to re-install the printer every day when we return to
the office – and not let the printer go into sleep mode.

Is there some set up or security feature I am missing? Any way to force
this back online? Even with a network refresh, it does not seem to see the
wireless printer anymore. I am using a Dell wireless printer server 3300,
and a Dell printer. Linksys wireless router and Vista on a loptop.

The wireless printer works perfectly on my XP laptop, everytime, but not on
Vista.

Thanks in advance for your help!

langtucket is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: wireless network printer offline
Mike,

I think I may have resloved the issue.

First get your printers IP address by accessing the menu on the screen of the printer itself. Usually you have to get to the "Network" sub menu whether it be an HP or any other make. On the Brother MFC790cw wireless printer, you touch the "Menu" button on the touchscreen. Then touch "Network," then touch "WLAN," then touch "TCP/IP." This is the screen that show your printer's IP address.

Now we need to make sure that the printer is setup on the correct port. Go to 'Control Panel' > 'Printers' > Right Click your printer and choose 'Properties' > click on the 'Ports' tab. The checkbox next to the IP address of your printer should be checked. If the IP address of your printer is not listed in that window do the following: Click 'Add Port' > choose 'Standard TCP/IP Port' > click 'New Port' > on the wizard screen click 'Next' > in the frist field, type the IP address of your printer > click 'Next' > click 'Finish' > now check the box next to the IP adress port you just setup > click 'Apply' > click 'OK'.

This should be the final step to fixing the dropping/offline issues with any of your wireless printers.

Remember, if the wireless connection isn't strong enough between your printer and your router (signal strength), try to get them closer or better arranged in terms of proximity or line of sight.
The Following User Says Thank You to langtucket For This Useful Post:

dankwest is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: wireless network printer offline
I just love it when I can find solutions that work the first time! Thanks again