Cannot view my XP computer from my Vista computer

bobman

Cannot view my XP computer from my Vista computer
I have been having trouble networking my two computers. My XP computer can
view files on my Vista computer, but my Vista computer cannot view files on
my XP computer. I have been trying for weeks to fix this, but everytime I
try to view my XP computer from my Vista computer I get the following message:

"\\Computer4 is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this
network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if
you have access permissions. Access is denied."

I have run the Network setup wizard on my xp computer about 10 times. I
have followed every suggestion that I have seen on other postings of this
similar problem. What is the problem?

Michael J. Houchen is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
bobman: I just got a laptop with Vista. Have laptop and desktop with XP. Heck of a time connecting the three. I'm on a wireless network. I was going to go thru the cookbook involved. But this is a tough one. Finally had to remove the router and reinstall. If you'd like to call me, perhaps I can share my experiences in real time.
Chuck [MVP]

Re: Cannot view my XP computer from my Vista computer
On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 18:51:00 -0800, bobman <bobman@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>I have been having trouble networking my two computers. My XP computer can
>view files on my Vista computer, but my Vista computer cannot view files on
>my XP computer. I have been trying for weeks to fix this, but everytime I
>try to view my XP computer from my Vista computer I get the following message:
>
>"\\Computer4 is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this
>network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if
>you have access permissions. Access is denied."
>
>I have run the Network setup wizard on my xp computer about 10 times. I
>have followed every suggestion that I have seen on other postings of this
>similar problem. What is the problem?

The most obvious problem would be either a personal firewall, or permissions,
set on the target system (XP computer).
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/your-personal-firewall-can-either-help.html>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...ther-help.html

There are several settings in Windows that can cause the old "access denied"
error.
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/06/mysterious-error-5-aka-access-denied.html>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...ss-denied.html

Is the computer running XP Home or XP Pro? If Pro, is Simple File Sharing
enabled, or disabled? If SFS is enabled, is Guest properly enabled for network
access? If SFS is disabled, is there either a Guest or non-Guest account
properly enabled for network access?
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/06/file-sharing-under-windows-xp.html>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...indows-xp.html

--