Access NT4 shares from Vista

V Green

Access NT4 shares from Vista
Small peer-to-peer network. One NT4SP5 Wkstn. box that
can be accessed from every other machine (95, 98, 2K)
but the Vista laptop. Asks for user name & password but then
declares it invalid (it isn't). Always wants to prepend User
Name with Computer Name, but even when this is deleted,
does not allow access.

Any ideas?

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Access NT4 shares from Vista
Do you receive system error 53 if using net view command?

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

"V Green" <vanceg@nowhere.net> wrote in message
> Small peer-to-peer network. One NT4SP5 Wkstn. box that
> can be accessed from every other machine (95, 98, 2K)
> but the Vista laptop. Asks for user name & password but then
> declares it invalid (it isn't). Always wants to prepend User
> Name with Computer Name, but even when this is deleted,
> does not allow access.
>
> Any ideas?

V Green

Re: Access NT4 shares from Vista
Yes, I believe that was the case. I will check
again (I'm at home now) tomorrow.

If that was true, what advice might you have for me?

"Robert L. (MS-MVP)" <blinNoEmailplease@mvps.org> wrote in message
> Do you receive system error 53 if using net view command?
>
> --
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>

> "V Green" <vanceg@nowhere.net> wrote in message
> > Small peer-to-peer network. One NT4SP5 Wkstn. box that
> > can be accessed from every other machine (95, 98, 2K)
> > but the Vista laptop. Asks for user name & password but then
> > declares it invalid (it isn't). Always wants to prepend User
> > Name with Computer Name, but even when this is deleted,
> > does not allow access.
> >
> > Any ideas?

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Access NT4 shares from Vista
It is name resolution issue. You may want to setup WINS server. Or this
search result may help.

System ErrorsSystem error 52 - You were not connected because a duplicate
name exists on the network. System error 53 - The network path was not found
www.chicagotech.net/systemerrors.htm

--

> Yes, I believe that was the case. I will check
> again (I'm at home now) tomorrow.
>
> If that was true, what advice might you have for me?
>
> "Robert L. (MS-MVP)" <blinNoEmailplease@mvps.org> wrote in message
>> Do you receive system error 53 if using net view command?
>>
>> --
>> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
>> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
>> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>>

>> "V Green" <vanceg@nowhere.net> wrote in message
>> > Small peer-to-peer network. One NT4SP5 Wkstn. box that
>> > can be accessed from every other machine (95, 98, 2K)
>> > but the Vista laptop. Asks for user name & password but then
>> > declares it invalid (it isn't). Always wants to prepend User
>> > Name with Computer Name, but even when this is deleted,
>> > does not allow access.
>> >
>> > Any ideas?

V Green

Re: Access NT4 shares from Vista
OK, went back to the office to get the error #.

It is System Error 5, a Permissions thing.

Please note that this NT4 box is fully browseable by
95OSR2, 98SE, W2KSP4 and XP SP2.

Only the Vista Home Prem. can't get in. That would
indicate the problem's with the Vista machine?