FTP Problems

John

FTP Problems
Hopefully, this is in the right group.
I have two web hosting sites, one Unix and one Windows. I can FTP to the
Unix site but not to the Windows one.
I am running Vista Ultimate and am trying to use SmartFTP and Visual Studio
2008.
With VS 2008 I get this error message: An error has occurred trying to
enumerate the contents of folder ''. 425 Can't open data connection.
When I use SmartFTP I also get the 425 error, but then it fails over from
Passive to Active mode, I can connect and see the folders on the Windows
server. I can delete files on the server and create directories but cannot
upload files.
I have also tried accessing the FTP site from WIndows explorer but it tells
me 'An error occurred opening that folder on the FTP Server. Make sure you
have permission to access that folder." It also reports a time out.
I've looked in the event logs but can't find anything. I am at my wits end.
Does anyone have any ideas what's stopping the FTP from working?

scsa20

Re: FTP Problems

Are you hosting the servers yourself or through a web host? Who's
you're web host?

What you might need to do is contact your web host and have them take a
look at the FTP server settings from the back-end to make sure they're
accepting FTP access via port 21, otherwise you might have to connect to
the FTP through a different port.

--
scsa20
John

Re: FTP Problems
The server is hosted by a third party. I'm pretty sure port 21 is ok.
On some tests the file name appears on the server, but with 0 bytes as the
size. Almost as if the server is saying, 'ok, send me the files now' but the
Vista client isn't hearing that.

"scsa20" <scsa20.33pni3@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message

> Are you hosting the servers yourself or through a web host? Who's
> you're web host?
>
> What you might need to do is contact your web host and have them take a
> look at the FTP server settings from the back-end to make sure they're
> accepting FTP access via port 21, otherwise you might have to connect to
> the FTP through a different port.
>

> --
> scsa20

scsa20

Re: FTP Problems

I would ask your host to take a look at there FTP server settings
because some thing's not setup correctly on the host side or you might
need to connect to the FTP through a different port (which your host
should provide to you). If you do need to connect to another port just
type in your normal ftp://yourname.com:## (where ## is the port number
you need to connect to)).

Cheers.

--
scsa20