Re: the domain server down please help

Robert Aldwinckle

Re: the domain server down please help
(cross-post added to Vista Networking)

Oops. (Second try.) I was distracted by not being sure about OS
and forgot to actually do it before...

"wendy" <wendy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> hi there when im trying to look at some pictures of clothes ect on grattans
> catalouge ect the pictures come up wid little red x and when i try to click
> them it says internet explorer cannot display the web page either ur not
> connected to the internet when i am

They are just trying to give you a best guess of what might be wrong.
One guess can't include all possibilities.
Give us a URL to show what you are seeing.

> so i click windows network diagnostics and it says

> "s7ondemand4.scene7.com using dns THE DOMAIN SERVER MAY BE DOWN

I agree with Leonard. Please be clearer about your symptom description.
BTW you can capture the the network diagnostics report so there's no excuse
for omitting details.

> can any1 let me know why it keeps doing this

Sounds like you could have a deficient DNS. Try switching to a cmd window
and using ping -n 1 there to preload a lookup into the DNS cache for IE.
You don't care about the ping, just the lookup. You can use Ctrl-c
to cancel a wait for the ping after you get proof of a lookup.

Also you should flush the DNS cache before doing this to make sure
that a current lookup is being used.

If you don't have a cmd window to switch to Run... (e.g. press Win-R and enter

cmd.exe

Here is an example of the commands I was mentioning being used
to load a lookup for www.microsoft.com

<cmd_output>
F:\>ipconfig /flushdns

Windows IP Configuration

Successfully flushed the DNS Resolver Cache.

F:\>ping -n 1 www.microsoft.com

Pinging lb1.www.ms.akadns.net [207.46.193.254] with 32 bytes of data:

Control-C
^C
F:\>nslookup www.microsoft.com
Server: dns2.igs.net
Address: 216.58.97.21

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: lb1.www.ms.akadns.net
Addresses: 207.46.19.190, 207.46.19.254, 207.46.193.254, 207.46.192.254
Aliases: www.microsoft.com, toggle.www.ms.akadns.net
g.www.ms.akadns.net

F:\>ping -n 1 lb1.www.ms.akadns.net

Pinging lb1.www.ms.akadns.net [207.46.193.254] with 32 bytes of data:

Control-C
^C
F:\>ipconfig /displaydns >displaydns.txt

</cmd_output>

In fact, even that is not enough to help this lookup for IE.
For example, in the displaydns.txt file I captured
Notepad shows a chained reference to one of the other aliases:

<displaydns>
www.microsoft.com

Record Name . . . . . : www.microsoft.com

Record Type . . . . . : 5

Time To Live . . . . : 182

Data Length . . . . . : 4

Section . . . . . . . : Answer

CNAME Record . . . . : toggle.www.ms.akadns.net
</displaydns>

Usually it shows a chained reference to the canonical name
which is the second thing I pinged (because the first ping showed it)
and usually that is enough to cache all the pieces of a lookup
to let IE avoid having to do a real one. But without a cached
lookup for that toggle... alias the lookup chain is broken
so IE would have to do a real lookup for that.

In any case if your most significant problem is a deficient DNS
(e.g. if lookups time out or if IE is somehow abandoning its lookups)
you would be able to explain your symptom.

> and most of the time i sign into
> aol web page of which it brings up for me but when i type in in the search
> bar for another web site it keeps say internet explorer cannot display page
> ur not connected to the internet when i am

Please give more details about your network connection,
both hardware and software.

If you are using a local connection the OS doesn't know that you are connected
to the Internet. So if your requests aren't being handled quickly enough
instead of saying that the OS says you aren't connected to the Internet.
It's another example of the OS trying to give you its best guess of what
the symptoms mean rather than it telling you exactly what the symptoms are.
Therefore in order to find that out you need to resort to diagnostics such
as the tests I have suggested or even better taking a packet trace so you
can see all the details and figure out where the problem really is.

> please can any2 advise me on wot
> to do i have tried system restore and nother changed please help its driving
> me nuts thanku u so very much if u help

Always state your OS when you need help.
Your problem is more related to your OS networking than IE
and I would be cross-posting to a Networking newsgroup
if I knew which one to go to...

Oh. Are you the same Wendy who replied with the blinn.edu suggestion? ; )
(Same IP address but you're both using the web interface to newsgroups...)

Subject: RE: only 2 websites won't work!
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2008 03:32:00 -0800

<quote>
hi there im on windows vista
</quote>

Cross-posting to Vista Networking... ; )

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
---