Vista Backup to NAS Drive

E & S

Vista Backup to NAS Drive
Hi Group,

I fitted a NAS Drive to a customers Network: BT HomeHub, Dell PC running
Vista connected wirelessly and 2 Dell Laptops also wireless the NAS is
plugged into BT HomeHub. The customer had previously used an external USB
drive connected to the Dell PC to backup to, I tried to change the Backup to
the NAS drive, when I try to change the Backup schedule Vista keeps asking me
for passwords to connect to the NAS, I have tried using the passwords on the
NAS but then it gives a RPC error with varying code numbers then goes onto
say drive J: not found.

I have tried setting NAS to J: with no joy, the big kick in the pants is the
NAS is seen and able to access in "My Computer"

Can I delete the Backup schedule if so how do you do it?

hoping someone can help.

Regards

Eddie Donnelly
E & S Computers
--
E & S Computers
Dizzy Dan

RE: Vista Backup to NAS Drive
Hello -
I just setup a NAS for backups for a client yesterday. This is how I
acheived my goal:
- On the NAS, i'm assuming you have a share folder setup called backup. If
not, you can do so by connecting to the NAS through its ip address.
- Map a drive to the "backup" share in "My Computer" (if one is already
mapped, disconnect and remap it)
- Lets say the NAS is named "NAS_Backup" on the network. The location to
set the backup to go to will be \\NAS_Backup\backup.

Hope this helps!

"E & S" wrote:

> Hi Group,
>
> I fitted a NAS Drive to a customers Network: BT HomeHub, Dell PC running
> Vista connected wirelessly and 2 Dell Laptops also wireless the NAS is
> plugged into BT HomeHub. The customer had previously used an external USB
> drive connected to the Dell PC to backup to, I tried to change the Backup to
> the NAS drive, when I try to change the Backup schedule Vista keeps asking me
> for passwords to connect to the NAS, I have tried using the passwords on the
> NAS but then it gives a RPC error with varying code numbers then goes onto
> say drive J: not found.
>
> I have tried setting NAS to J: with no joy, the big kick in the pants is the
> NAS is seen and able to access in "My Computer"
>
> Can I delete the Backup schedule if so how do you do it?
>
> hoping someone can help.
>
> Regards
>
> Eddie Donnelly
> E & S Computers
> --
> E & S Computers

Dizzy Dan

RE: Vista Backup to NAS Drive
One more thing i forgot to mention...make sure that all the computers
(including the NAS) are in the same workgroup. I had an issue yesterday and
figured out that the NAS defaulted to a workgroup called VOLUME. This is
changeable in the NAS settings. I changed all the workgroups to be the same
and everything went smooth after that.

"E & S" wrote:

> Hi Group,
>
> I fitted a NAS Drive to a customers Network: BT HomeHub, Dell PC running
> Vista connected wirelessly and 2 Dell Laptops also wireless the NAS is
> plugged into BT HomeHub. The customer had previously used an external USB
> drive connected to the Dell PC to backup to, I tried to change the Backup to
> the NAS drive, when I try to change the Backup schedule Vista keeps asking me
> for passwords to connect to the NAS, I have tried using the passwords on the
> NAS but then it gives a RPC error with varying code numbers then goes onto
> say drive J: not found.
>
> I have tried setting NAS to J: with no joy, the big kick in the pants is the
> NAS is seen and able to access in "My Computer"
>
> Can I delete the Backup schedule if so how do you do it?
>
> hoping someone can help.
>
> Regards
>
> Eddie Donnelly
> E & S Computers
> --
> E & S Computers

importantnotice

Re: Vista Backup to NAS Drive

Hi, had the same problem! After much inventivness :- the login you need
is "Everyone" and the password is the admin password for your NAS...

--
importantnotice
importantnotice's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/importantnotice.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

bloodnock

Re: Vista Backup to NAS Drive

Genius... PURE GENIUS. We have been trying for 4 hours and this was the
holy grail of fixes. Now to restore some security setting, since
everythings has been disabled to this point.

--
bloodnock
bloodnock's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/217011.htm